Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ponds - Port Of Brisbane?

The Ponds - Port Of Brisbane?

Hey just wondering has anyone herd of or fished the ponds at the mouth of the river??
    I have herd a few rumors from guys at work about big snapper coming from there.
    Then today i was told that the DPI netted the place and released the fish into the river..
    Marty.

Re: The Ponds - Port Of Brisbane?

marty , a guy told me about a year ago that they were having a fish in there last year for the last time prior to them netting & releasing all fish from in there the port was reclaiming the land .
    cheers

I read the same thing on another site. apparently the netting happened about a week ago, and approx 15 tonnes of fish of all species were relased into the mouth of the river.
    Not sure if it's true, just repeating what i read elsewhere.

i saw the port authority out there with there lights flashing and it looked like there was a few people sitting on the bank fishing......i wonder if any of those fat arsed bream made it to the 4bc/suncorp comp. there were also some people fishing in what looked like desperation for a win right at the luggage point stink hole and boy was it kickin up a stink!!!!!gulls were flocking in there hundreds to get a feed of second hand tomato seeds.....

yeah i have seen picks of big bream and snapper and flatties that have come out of there. unfortunetly the fish that were netted were released back into the river...NOT!!! by my beleifs and what i have heard by a few other people, the fish actually got sold. There is still big fish in there, they actually missed a few, so quickly fish it before rits filled in.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Ive heard of 8kg snapps, mammath tailor and some big breambos comming out of there. Ive never fished it but have been told that the quality of the flesh of the fish is digusting. Would of been cool to see what they actually pulled out of there with the nets.
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

"Sweresy" fished a few of the comps held in there for port staff only. Lucky bastard. Was supposed to have been netted after the last comp about a year ago.

Some very solid squire, monster flatties galore and rumours of all sorts of other massive fish you wouldn't expect in a big pond. It really makes you think about what it is that made them flourish.

He sent me some pics of 50 - 70cm squire schooling on the surface. Will find them and post tomorrow.

It is trespassing to fish off the wall and i have heard of people being fined without warning, so probably not wise to go do it, especially if its already been netted.

I would love to see what they dragged out of it. Its a shame they couldn't have had an open day before they cleaned it out, $20 entry would have made them a killing.

Plenty of sandies in their also, and the odd Jew.
    The pond is still fed by the bay.
    regards

Someone care to explain where these 'ponds' are?
    Cheers, Nick

Nicko,
    It is the enclosed reclaimed land at the mouth of the Brisbane R. on the eastern side. It is prohibited to fish in there. "Security Reasons"
    I believe the Wharfies are permitted to fish there for a fee, but that is only hearsay.
    Have a mate that does a lot of contract work down there and he says the size and species of fish, including big sharks, in there is amazing. Monster crabs as well. Dont know about the netting/release bit.
    Cheers

As Plaztix has said, the ports authority keeps it quiet for its annual fishing comp, just before the net the area and release the fish.

On the spot fines as the ports guys want it keep it for themselves.

Regards
    Honda

there was a comp there last week
    $20entry donation to charity
    max catch 30kg allowed

pete

Quote Originally Posted by outsiderskip View Post
    there was a comp there last week
    $20entry donation to charity
    max catch 30kg allowed

pete
    Where did you hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by plaztix View Post
    "
    He sent me some pics of 50 - 70cm squire schooling on the surface. Will find them and post tomorrow.
    did you find those pics mate?

Rocks are a little slippery get up to it, and glass boats really dont like getting to close either, then you have to anchor it out wider so it doesnt look suspicious.
    Then you have to duck for cover when the port patrol comes around.
    regards