Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monduran Winter Diary Part 1. Part 2 Now Added. A few 90-117cm Barra

Re: Monduran Winter Diary Part 1. A few 90-117cm Barra

Hi Dick you are right mate fishing isn't the only thing to enjoy on trips. You miss a lot of fun if that's all you concentrate on. Your reports are excellent mate keep posting them please.

Hi John yep we live in a great country with lots of nature to explore on every trip if we take the time to see it etc. Hope to see you up at Mondy one day.

Hi Matt i hope all is well up there in Paradise mate?
    I hope to catchup with you 2 again this summer if i get the time off work etc. If things are busy i might just drive up for the day and not even fish. Just catchup around the campfire etc. You are one of the best anglers i've ever met and i learn't a lot from you, Aaron, Les, Trev and Scott last year on my barra trip.

I agree completely with your thoughts on reading more of nature to find active fish. This is a huge part of the puzzle and where a lot of us are falling short. However many i bump in to at the camp or in the shop or on the net want to concentrate on what's on the end of the fishing rod = e.g. what's the next gun lure that will solve all their fishing problems.

That's why i posted my own short cummings so others can also relate to this kind of report where hard times are found & solutions are needed. By acknowledging what i did wrong will give me clear direction to improve.

Stick my head in the sand and keep buying lures or plastics by the dozen won't improve my fish finding ability, which is hard enough as it is as a travelling angler to our dams.

More practise = time on the water i agree with completely & i acknowledge it's been said by others on here before, they were dead right i reckon. It's just like any sport, you need to build a huge base of experience to call upon when needed. You don't get to the Olympics by sitting on the sofa, drinking a carton a night and smashing through 5 pizzas!!!

Information: Yep mate there is some bloody awesome info coming out this summer which will help everyone in fishing as nobody knows everything. Hidden gems will be everywhere this summer. But once read this doesn't mean it's time to move on to the next article or dvd. Practise is needed. Lots of it.

I reckon it means the next step is to plan the next 30 days practise (barra fishing), then the next 50 days, then trying to rack up 100 days putting in to practise what others have generously provided at a very low cost of less than a carton of beer...Or even cheaper at 1-2 beers. Too cheap i reckon for the wealth of info provided.. Or even cheaper on the net for free...

This might be hard to take as travelling anglers, but in general i reckon we need more practise.

Without practise it's like trying to play footy at the highest level but only rocking up to practise once in every while. When whats really needed is practise to be done weekly, and the best will practise several times a week, even 6 days a week. Food for thought.

Without practise it will only be a matter of time before we get sick of losing or get injured, then we will be out of the game. Mother nature is a hard opposition to master and her team won't be getting any easier.
    Solution: We should plan more trips together.

Catching nothing & Learning: I agree Matt, i used to look at fishless days as terrible, but that was just a numbers game because i listened to all the hype. I now aim to learn a bit of the puzzle each day and i'm happy to measure that as a great day on the water which will hopefully enable me to catch more fish in the future.

Having said that just like you Matty i want to catch a fish everyday i go fishing - a pretty good goal in life i reckon.

Cheers Lyndon & Kel

Lyndon, if I lived close enuff to a barra dam to day trip, I would be on the water every opportunity I had, rain, hail, shine, windy, sleeting, cyclonic, temp up, temp down, low water level, sudden in-flow, crowded, deserted.
    If only Gin Gin would suddenly develop an on-going commercial construction industry, sighhhhhh

c ya up there mate
    brian

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Lyndon, if I lived close enuff to a barra dam to day trip, I would be on the water every opportunity I had, rain, hail, shine, windy, sleeting, cyclonic, temp up, temp down, low water level, sudden in-flow, crowded, deserted.
    If only Gin Gin would suddenly develop an on-going commercial construction industry, sighhhhhh

c ya up there mate
    brian
    Brian, there a MASSIVE gold mine 50km west at Mount perry!! I am sure you could get work there and Mt Perry could use a hairdresser too!!

Lyndon,

Yes practice and time on water is essentially the major factor to impoundment barra success. We are spoilt here. I dont take enough advantage of it.!! Thanks for another alternative post and insight into the joy of the sport.

cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Brian, there a MASSIVE gold mine 50km west at Mount perry!! I am sure you could get work there and Mt Perry could use a hairdresser too!!

cheers steve

mate, I'll just clarify that for the interested viewers out there

the missus is the hairdressr, Im the construction sparkie

so sorry blokes, no free haircuts round the camp kitchen from me

Brian, Gladstone is booming..Construction workers they cant get enough...Big dollars too ... Yes yes l know it not Monduran...But Awoonga is close..Not as great nor as big as Monduran... but at a pinch l am sure it will do

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Brian, Gladstone is booming..Construction workers they cant get enough...Big dollars too ... Yes yes l know it not Monduran...But Awoonga is close..Not as great nor as big as Monduran... but at a pinch l am sure it will do
    Gee ..... Only a short drive to Awoonga & 1.5 hours to Mondy from Gladstone
    Now ...... How can I develop the plastic industry up there

Chris

I can only say what most of the others have already said guys, for us the travelling angler you sum it up, with fishing being the draw card share that with our great aussie back drop and you have the ulimate weekend away. So that with the fishin our famlies can enjoy these trip away as much as we do even when we arnt on the water.

Top read guys look forward to part 2

Nath

Hi LGM i agree with your ideas mate. Get the kids outside in this great country.

Choose the other path for sure e.g. real life over computer game baby sitters. I saw a kid walking around the school oval for physical activity the other day and he was playing a hand held computer game. Never thought i'd see that one.

Hi Katie & Elaine good to hear from you 2. Pitty we just missed you.

No worries we will catchup over the summer for sure and see what you have been up to.

Hi Steve, i agree i've seen a lot of people stressing in the camp site because they haven't caught fish. You have to enjoy every moment of the trip - just like you said ' some of the best times are back at camp'. I remember the 2 campfires going at the Sweetwate M&G, how good was that atmosphere?

Hi Whitto cheers mate we will catchup with you on a dam this summer mate. I know anyone hanging around you for a spot of fishing will be in for a fun trip!!!

Hi Nagg. I can see you appreciate the whole trip just by looking at your threads.
    -4 wake up call hey gggg you can have that. We can't wait for summer, shorts and a singlet weather is hopefully not far away.

Hi Chewy, Andy & Jode it was great to meet you guys on the Queens Bday wknd.
    I'm sure we will see you guys up there again this summer mate.

Hi Paul mate it's always funny to see dogs at Monduran it's great they allow them in the camp grounds. I remember the border collie puppies that were 6 weeks old when we first saw them. They grew up and the mother was teaching the to run around the big tree down the back, kind of like rounding up stock. However the little tackers would always take a short cut ha. It made for the best start to the day to watch the little tackers run around having so much fun.

What breed are your puppies?

Hi Pete yes the smell of campfire on your clothes ahhhh you know you are outdoors. Flat batteries ha yes i've been there.....Mobile phone out of service is always a bonus. I remember the 80's and 90's when we got by without them and no internet.

We had half day fridays, you could have a few beers at lunch with no stress from the boss, no work when we got home e.g. internet, no work phone calls while driving, before work or after, and it only took one phone call to arrange mates for a bbq ha because one phone call back them meant a lot more than the many calls people get now. How times have changed!!!

There is a lot more work in a day now which makes getting away a priority. (Recharge).

Cheers Lyndon

Hi Nipsta, Brian & Nath good to hear from you guys.

We will have to catchup over the summer for a spot of fishing and the odd cold drink or 2. It's scotch season at the moment it's that bloody cold.
    I'd love to do more fishing with you guys this year.

I'll try and make it up when you guys are going on your trips over the summer etc it just depends on work etc.

I hope to read many of your reports over the summer guys.
    Cheers Lyndon.

Monduran Winter Trip Continued – Part 2

Saturday Night – Good Laughs With Friends

Camp Cooking: More rib fillet with some rump on the side….all was exceptional and went down well. Straight on to bread with some Artery Hardening Salt it tasted fantastic. I offered my mates a steak sambo or 2 as I could see them eying of a tender morsel as it cooked away on the fire.. There were no kookaburras at night thankfully, but we did keep an eye out for the odd drop bear or 2. The billy was boiled even if nobody wanted high tea…It’s the principal that counts. If someone came over to our fireplace for a yarn we could offer them a cuppa etc.

Fireplace Yarns: Chat was flowing like the rain off our swags…..We had some great yarns & a few locals even called in for a yarn. We got on to naming bays with many creative thinkers coming up with a few names that we can’t put to print…

Here are the legal ones:

Secret squirrel bay: I can’t tell you where that one is for obvious reasons. Everyone has 1 or 2 of these. I bet Steve B has a couple???

No Fish Bay: Happy to tell you where that one is, just follow me!!! I think we have all fished there at times.

Catfish Bay: I think we have all fished there at one point in time as well!!!

Arthritis Bay: Is where all the old timers hang out as it’s not far from the boat ramp so 6-10 horse power motors don’t have to go far.

Grey Nomad Bay: Is placed nicely next to Arthritis Bay so they don’t have to travel far.

Lemmings Bay: Where everyone follows everyone in circles without knowing why. In peak season it’s also known as the main basin.

Monduran Metre Barra Bay: Aaaaahhhh the legendary Metre Barra Bay is where everyone wants to fish. Johnny & The Taylors Fished there on this trip. I managed to find Future Metre Barra Bay.

Home-owners-bay: Not sure what Scotty meant with this bay.

Mad Cow Bay: When you see cattle on the edge its mad cow bay.

Wally Bay: Where only idiots fish. This is said in a kind way around the fire. E.g when someone asks if we caught fish you say " no the guy driving the boat took us to Wally Bay for the day' etc.

Slim Cow Bay: Where food is scarce & the place looks like nothing could live.

Lay Bay: Again I’m not sure what the boys meant by this one.

Cappa Bay: Again I’m not sure what the boys meant by this one but I heard it’s right next to borat bay! I’m guessing they must have seen someone fishing in budgie smugglers or something like that. Although they would have to be pretty crazy to do that in winter. They could have been Victorians!!!

Drop Bear Bay: Is where you tell the touro’s new to Australia not to go. This has also been known to work on people that haven’t got out of the city much for a spot of camping & fishing. If you are sitting around a campfire tell the story late at night after a few ales – it has a much better effect. Let them know that you have seen someone attacked by one of these ferocious drop bears and they will rip your guts out & bite you in to pieces and throw your head that way and legs the other way HBA. I’m still amazed at how many people this yarn gets… I’ve seen touro’s that wont’ walk back to their tents in the dark of night after this story has been told. I remember when we had to start the cars and put the spotlights on one night so they would go back to their own tents because we needed some sleep.

There will be more bays added in future reports so stay tuned.

On that note I remember a shooting trip when we took a couple of city slickers shooting foxes, feral dogs, cats & red deer. In their defence they weren’t that old and we were known to do a few pranks, which is the Aussie Way Of Life.

Anyway a few mates (Guy & Lee), my brother (Justin) and I got on a roll this night telling stories like razor back the wild pig which was as big as 2 washing machines & would turn you in to mince meat real quick if you dared to step outside the car. After this story the guys wouldn’t get out of the car to take a leak & I have to say it was a long nights shooting. They ended up chucking a leak with the back doors open with their mate standing guard with rifle in hand and they insisted in us keeping a look out for pigs with our spotlights.
    Trying not to laugh was now getting even harder….

I must say the boys did come prepared as they had more ammo than Schwarzenegger in Commando…Remember the M60! With his cannons hanging on to it? One handed of course….

After that came the drop bear story which had an immediate effect on the guys as their guns were pointed out the old land drover’s window’s aiming up at every tree looking for the slightest movement to shoot at. I was thinking that this wouldn’t be the time for a rare bird species to get on the wing!!!! Of course we had to make it interesting by pretending to shoot at these monsters if we saw them relaxing. We had them firing bird shot into trees to try and knock the drop bears out. By now these guys were pretty scared the poor buggers. They now had reloading in the dark mastered quicker than a Ferrari pit crew changes tyres.

To top it all off late in the night we couldn’t resist just one more G-Up. By this stage it was hard for us not to be nearly crying with laughter but we held it together – just. We told the by now sh#$t scared boys about the panthers that lived in the area after they were released back in the days of world war 2 when they were used as mascots by the armed forces. We even got out of the car to look for tracks and pretended to track them along the road. Well this sent the boys in to overdrive with their eyes almost popping out of their heads. They were checking their ammo stocks, making sure it was close by when needed. It was a scene that reminded me of Tackle Berry from Police Academy at his Rambo best. Classic. I bet we all have a mate like Tackle Berry???

It must have been fate but just after this G-Up a couple of wild dogs ran across the road heading for the bush.
    Well the boys had that much pent up nervous energy by this time the dogs were the last straw. Somebody yelled out “Panther” and all hell broke loose as the night sky lit up like side show alley at the Ekka, with shotguns, 243’s, 7.62s, 410’s and the good old lever action 22magnum all emptying their barrels & mags in to the pitch black surroundings. It was mayhem and we all broke out in fits of laughter so hard that my stomach hurt. We emptied so much ammo shooting at something we couldn’t see that BHP could have started mining the area. It was like the scene in Predator where Arnie and co emptied a few thousand rounds in to the forest and hit nothing.

Funnily enough these guys never again asked to go shooting or camping with us.

We didn’t even get to use the Kilcoy Yowie story as we had planned to hide behind a bush and jump on the back of the s#$%t scared boys. However hey had firm grips on their rifles so we thought we’d better not do this gag on this trip as we were s#$t scared of how they would react.

Steve B you would have heard this one a few times… Are they still cutting off certain parts of the Yowie monument in that part of the world??? They breed em tough out that way. Do you still get free entry in to Friday night fights with the purchase of your first beer!!! Some of the toughest footy players I’ve seen are from that area and are good blokes to boot.

Ahhh you have to love Aussie camping and fishing trips. Hijinks and a dry sense of humour go hand in hand. Feel free to add your funny story if anything I wrote jogs your memory. Cheers Lyndon.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Hi Nipsta, Brian & Nath good to hear from you guys.

We will have to catchup over the summer for a spot of fishing and the odd cold drink or 2. It's scotch season at the moment it's that bloody cold.

I'll try and make it up when you guys are going on your trips over the summer etc it just depends on work etc.

Cheers Lyndon.

lyndon not sure how much fishing for me this summer but hoping a session here and there if im lucky would be great , the new arrival will be here around march so ill have to spend abit more time at home till after bubbys is borna and set him at home so hopefully april late or may again wil be good for me cross my fingers but we are going to mondy in just undewr 4 weeks the 12th of sep so might catch ya round then cheers

[quote=SeekingBarradise;881918]Hi Nipsta, Brian & Nath good to hear from you guys.

Cheers Lyndon.[/

Re: Monduran Winter Diary Part 1. Part 2 Now Added. A few 90-117cm Barra

Hi Lyndon,

Another first class read mate, good stuff, thanks.

The razor back pig, I can remember that one, didn't it gut a horse when it run underneath it???

And the panther, my fishing mate and i saw one on the hill near the boat ramp at Faust at day break one morning 3 or 4 years ago.

Just gunna have to catch up for a yarn and a beer or three.

Thanks again,

John.

It just keeps getting better .......... Great read buddy

I know where catfish bay is or should I say Mighty Whitey does

But there was no mention of SFA Bay ........ We've spent some time there

Cheers

Chris

Ha Ha Great Story Lyndon!!

About the yowie at Kilcoy (my home town...but no relation) , they have a life sized wood carved statue of the Yowie as a tourist card in the town of Kilcoy...marvelous specimen it is!!! When it was first erected it had the usual male bits one would expect to see on a big hairy male yowie. Well, locals being locals + beer = yowie having the old wizzer cut off, shot by an arrow, condom put over it, and my favorite, cut off and glued back on up the other way....great add for viagra!!! It had it cut off that many times it wasn't funny, they always caught the person who did it.....cops rounded up any girl who had a satified smile on her face...my girlfriend was exempt of course

For the record Sergent Turnbull, I had nothing to do with most of it

As for the Kilcoy pub, Nipsta spent a whole evening there recently.......not a fight to be seen....whats going on with the place.

Thanks for the story update Lyndon, brought back memories of some fun times!!

steve