Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sol and 50mg on Impoundment Barra?

Re: Sol and 50mg on Impoundment Barra?

hey jeremy my chronarch is a 100 series my little 50 i am not game enough to throw it at them i use it for bass

Cameron,

If you were only doing a couple of trips here and there, then they will be OK. It may sound silly, but back your drag off a little for the initial hit/hookup. As you said all that power and energy from big barra has to go somewhere! Its much more forgiving on your reel that way.Let the fish wear itself out with a couple of runs. then muscle up.

cheers steve

Thanks for the tip Steve, funny enough that I was searching last night here and found a post from you from a little while ago talking about pulling hooks and getting busted off from having a drag set too high. You mentioned then that after backing the drag off a bit you had a better success rate, it makes a lot of sense and will keep in memory bank.

Regards Cameron.

Yeah chewy I remember,

We went okay hooked 5 only landed one that went 103. Was a great trip though, been up since but donutted. Learnt a lot though will be up hopefully at the end of this month let us know if you are around.

Scott

Personaly Poseidon I'd forget the spare spool and save the $ for another reel just for barra. If I was only going barra fishing a few times a year I wouldn't spend much on it either. Could still be a few old Curado's & CVX's or similar going cheap. Then you can put some 50lb on it and use it locked up in the timber if need be. The Sol & Cron (with propper servicing) will just about last you a lifetime on the smaller species but once they're stuffed they're stuffed. I've got an old style Cron and a Cullcutta that will never be the same after a few barra trips in the timber. And I don't doubt for a second that the young Taylor boys are using the small Cron 50's for barra but as they're Shimano sponsored anglers I would have to imagine they're not risking what you or I would be if did the same.
    Cheers
    Mike

As far as I remember the SOL is part of the 'reel 4' series and all those spools are interchangable. I recently bought a SOL 2500R spool for my LUVIUS 2500R which cost me $65 from a local tournament dealer. I was in Japan recently and they were $80 there. Another tackle store had told me that I could not buy a spare spool for my LUVIUS.