Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I rescued 2 kids today

I rescued 2 kids today

Well actually it was 2 adults and 2 kids. As i headed out 9:45am this morning from horizon shores marina I noticed a couple in a tinnie towing another dingy with 2 kids in it. They stopped and it looked like he ran out of fuel.

So i pulled up and observed what was happening. Unfortunately they were drinking and he was clearly drunk.

So I yelled out and offered a tow. After about ten minutes of maneuvering into place (my boat is 33' long and didn't want to run them over) I eventually was able to throw them a line.

In hindsight I probably should have offered the kids into my boat but they seemed fine and not panicking and all boats were well afloat and safe.

I only made it back to the entrance near the 6KM zone buoy before I noticed a police boat heading out. The copper indicated for me to stop.

So I stop and they circle around and come along side me. Not much conversation was exchanged as the coppers pretty much could plainly see what was going on so nothing was said apart from the police saying they will tow them in from here.

Apparently they have a boat in the harbor and were heading back in. Not sure where they actually came from when I came across them.

Its not a good look drinking and with kids involved. As far as I know the police took him away after they towed them in.

I am just glad I made the decision to head out when i did as god know what would have happened with them adrift and no fuel.

The video is currently being uploaded to youtube and is 138mb in size 6min 45 sec.

So it might be a little while but i will update this post with the video of the drama unfolding.

here is my tracking that was recorded on my garmin enrout/mapsourse and converted for googlearth viewing google earth file

I also uploaded it to vimeo as the video quality is far better than youtube

Last edited by Razgo-; 04-08-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added google earth file

Re: I rescued 2 kids today

onya Razgo...way to help out another boaty in need...bit irresponsible of that guy to be drunk i recon...specially with kids thrown into the mix...they prolly took him away and booked him for DUI...and rightly so imo...

(Mrs Benno1)

I reckon there might be several charges involved. not even sure if life jackets were onboard. towing whilst under the influence might be another charge and endangerment reckless driving whilst towing a boat with minors onboard.

The funny thing is when discussing this with another boaty back at the marina he said this is quite common on the broadwater. Now that horrifies me!

updated with video now.

cheers for the update Razgo...(nice rig btw)...i can agree with you on that about a lot of ppl being pissed in the Broadwater...our homebase is on the GC...near everytime without fail we'd pass ppl in their pleasure crafts of all sizes where near everyone was on the turps(not claiming to be an angel...yes we take a few drinks out with us...but not enough to get wasted)...but on a few occasions we'd see the same ppl...being towed back to port by the coppers having been breath tested and failed...then carrying on like two bob watches claiming theyd done nothing wrong...theres that fine fine line that some ppl choose to cross...and should suffer the consequences when caught...imho...(end of rant)

it would have been real easy for those kids to end up overboard then what? you have to look close but the second child looked to be about 4-5 years old only.

if that mate...i had another look...and at 1:30...old mate has a swig of whatever he's drinking...and it was hard to tell with the glare wether those kids had life jackets on...did they???

no the kids had no life jackets on that i could see.

Have a look at 5:45 you see the 2 kids pop up on the police boat with no life jackets on.

edit/

sorry the youtube video isn't high enough quality to show it. But at 2:57 you can tell a bit.

Stunning. Simply stunning. Several conclusions can be reached from this video:

1. Some people need to be sterilized.

2. The Coppers have seen the light. See those lovely V-Rods on the back?

3. You need a haircut!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

lol, haven't been to the barbers since 1992 (wedding day) but i do slice some off every now and then at home

it ended well which is the main thing...i just hope for his sake (and those of his kids and ANY passengers this tool carries in his boat)...that he's learnt a bloody good lesson...

(Mrs Benno1)

I spoke to the police this morning at the horizon shores cafe shop and they said the woman had already fallen over board once. they were up further at jacobs well and ran out of fuel where i found them.

good on you for helping out. good to see the boys in blue out there.

well done mate,its amazing what people get up to,and they probably call themselves "battlers".Well he'll be battling for awhile now.wonder if he had a licence??The Noosa river of a weekend is very similar to the Broadwater,you could make a tv series.
    Paulo.