Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landcruiser Main and Sub Tank switching

Landcruiser Main and Sub Tank switching

This is aimed at the electric changeover models.

Just trying to get a handle on how far you can push the main or sub tank before switching over.. ie can you run into dramas if you wait till the engine starts to surge and loose power before switching tanks ?? The warnings on the vehicle state you must change as soon as the fuel warning light appears.. but I recon there is still useable fuel left in the tank??

TIA
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Re: Landcruiser Main and Sub Tank switching

Gary,
    As far as I know they are not auto switching and if you do you can run into major dramas (possibly) with bleeding the system. I wouldn't tempt it.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

How ya going??

I should have clarrified It a bit better. I have a V8 petrol cruiser so bleeding would simply be key on off.. I think??
    Garry

Gary,

Sorry I forgot yours is Petrol and my Sahara is Diesel but I still think they won't auto switch. Why don't you just call the Toyota dealer and the workshop should be able to put you straight.

adrian

I dont think you have it right. In my old 75 series. Its just used to activate a solinoid that drained my sub tank back into my main tank. Im pretty sure they are all still like this. But i would check.
    BD

Not a problem.
    I have run my v8 cruiser dry and then pushed the sub button.
    You wouldn't be looking for a tow bar for your cruiser would you ? I have a spare

Mick

I had an 80 series diesel. the Sub tank was seperate and as far as i could tell did not drain into the main tank. After draining the main tank and running on the sub for only half of it, the main would still take 90 odd litres to fill. I've pushed the main until she coughed....on the highway doing 100kmh...just hit the button and gave her a few pumps of the right foot...we lost a little speed but fired into life without a drama.....then again, another time it didn't, so I had to pull over and lift the bonnet, 4 or 5 pumps of the primer and a few extra turns on the key and we were away again. I used to get do 800ks on the main and 400k on the sub tank before switching over.....or filling her up again. @ 50c a litre it wasn't that bad......geez it would hurt now.

For your injected model, I wouldn't be running it till it coughed. you will end up stopping and bleeding.....although it is just a case of turning it on the key until it fires away. pain in the arse i reckon. I only did it a few times so I could gauge the best Kms to switch over without running out, but without leaving lots of fuel in the tank too. I had a buffer of about 30kms worth of fuel in the main when i switched. a few times I needed it when travelling at night and nothing was open.

Cheers Roo.

the two tanks are seperate, they do not drain from one to the other, you will indeed run out and still have fuel in the other tank, bleeding the system will not be necessary on a petrol engine, they have an electric pump and will be fine, the size of the tank is often spoken about in terms of cost to fill up, but in reality, it means bugger all if you get 100 litres twice, or 200 litres once, you use the same, regardless of the tank size, I have 400 litres in my Boat, and people are amazed at the cost, but I only need fuel a quarter as often as them, if you get the idea.

Must just be the 75 series then.

I filled up my main (TD) after hitting the warning light and it only took 80L so I reckon there is about 10L left after getting the light on the main tank.
    Not certain about the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    the two tanks are seperate, they do not drain from one to the other, you will indeed run out and still have fuel in the other tank, bleeding the system will not be necessary on a petrol engine, they have an electric pump and will be fine, the size of the tank is often spoken about in terms of cost to fill up, but in reality, it means bugger all if you get 100 litres twice, or 200 litres once, you use the same, regardless of the tank size, I have 400 litres in my Boat, and people are amazed at the cost, but I only need fuel a quarter as often as them, if you get the idea.
    Noel,

your sought of right about the main not draining into the sub except I found after a few weeks of just using the main.. when I changed to what was the empty sub it was half full . Aparantly a comon fault for the main to slowy leak into the sub.

Thanks guys.. I recon I am gunna run the main dry and change over.. and see how much sh!t I get into
    Garry

My concern Gary would be if the fuel pumps are in the tank, not reccommened to run too low often as they use the fuel for cooling the pump
    cheers
    blaze

Blaze, I cant see them having 2 fuel pumps.. 1 for each tank..but I suppose they might have.. will look into that scenario.
    Garry

Blaze is probably spot on IMO, the transfer pump may be low pressure and near unkillable if it's not a gravity feed system but the main pump may well be HP and the more fuel in the tank the better at all times to aid cooling, To my mind a minimum of 1/3 if possible, the petrol gets quite warm on a trip, certainly a lot warmer than body temperature.

cheers fnq

FNQ, the HP pump would be cooled by the fuel but these days they take a fair bit to kill (most efi outboards use the same pump but in a different confiuguration) I aint to concerned over killing a HP pump. The more I think about it the less concerened I become over running it dry.. more of an issue with a diesel IMO
    Garry