Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Landcruiser Main and Sub Tank switching

Re: Landcruiser Main and Sub Tank switching

I have a 2007 turbo diesel landcruiser, before this one I had a 2003 of the same model. I have run the tanks dry many times without problems.

Sure it drops speed as it pumps the fuel through but they fire straight back up once the fuel is through.

I run it past when the light comes on but only if I am on a highway or motorway etc.

- Darren

Gary,
    In over 100,000kms I did in many times - draining sub and or main and changing over without any ill effect. 100 series V8 Kakadu.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    FNQ, the HP pump would be cooled by the fuel but these days they take a fair bit to kill (most efi outboards use the same pump but in a different confiuguration) I aint to concerned over killing a HP pump. The more I think about it the less concerened I become over running it dry.. more of an issue with a diesel IMO
    Yeah you are right of coarse Gary. I look at these things this way, some people start a cold motor, then just drive it, others will wait for some warmth to take up tolerance before just driving it. I know which of the two engines I would rather own to trust after a couple/few thousand hours.

Same thing with the pump although it depends if a person considers it worth the bother.

cheers fnq

it seems like the Landcruiser Diesel is almost self priming, as long as your Battery is OK of course, but they do have a manual primer on the fuel filter for when you change it, so all you need to do is pump it untill it gets firm/hard and away you go, I have had mine for over 400,000K now and have run it dry on both tanks at times, (not at the same time though) and after adding some fuel, switch to the right tank and your done, I guess the amount of fuel left in the filter and so on is enough to start and run the engine untill it primes itself. The switch over valve I think is after both tanks between the Engine and tanks (I think)