Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golden Trevally-are they edible??

Re: Golden Trevally-are they edible??

we got 3 7kg goldens a few weeks back now an they were beautiful on the munch. we bleed then almost befor they were in the boat haha an striaght on to ice an out of the sun then filleted them as soon as we got home an cooked them that night. id say the fresher they are the better they taste

cheers

yep. I'll vote for tasty fish if you bleed and ice them, then cut around the darker bits. I found them a prick to skin tho'...my knife kept cutting through the skin. Just to qualify that...I am CRAP at filleting fish. I reckon I could feed a family on what was left on the frame from the 1 and only golden I've had a crack at.

Every single book I read rates the "GOLDEN" trev as a great table fish - the best of the trevs on the chew! Although as mentioned - preperation is always the key - don't just chuck them in a hot box for eight hours and sort out the fillets when you get home... I've caught many, but never tried one - just such a great looking fish.

Agree with most here, they are quite good if handled correctly, that is bleed immediately upon capture, and straight into the ice slurry. Battered and deep fried fish and chip shop style they are pretty damn good.
    Taz

Golden and gold spot trevally are the best eating of all the trevally, but need to be bled well in a tub of seawater, then iced. Fillet and skin, remove the bloodline if you wish, but they make a very tasty fillet, and unless you're esky is full of reefies, don't pass them up.

I caught a 15 kg one once and it was tough as but i've had smaller ones and they were beaut.

I have eaten them as part of a meal along with Trout and Redthroat and they did not do badly. A different texture than the reefies but the taste was up there. I have caught them to 12.5kg and they were still good at that size
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Beautiful eating fresh mate, skin them, dip in plain flower then egg then breadcrumbs with some salt. Get the bbq nice and hot and about a min or two each side. Cant beat it! Dont freeze well but.
    En el amor y la guerra, todo hueco es trinchera.

Well the verdict is in.......,I have just finished cooking and the rest of the family has finished eating and even come back for seconds...including a young dutch lady who is presently staying with us.

I did the trevor up breadcrumbed as Ryan suggests above but then deep fried it and I also did some up in Tempura batter..

I am very pleasantly surprised....remember these are 8-10 kilo fish and I would say they are at least as tasty as a shop bought meal of fish and chips.
    Almost a bit cobia- like in their texture and with a very pleasant taste.

Very edible and I would encourage anybody to try these fish before passing judgement.

Scott

Eats best when bled, iced and eaten fresh. If you have any left and you have to freeze it, use it for fish cakes or in a stew. I reckon its hard to find a fish thats not good eating if you know how to cook it.

ive eatin trevally fresh bloody fantastic

So the moral of the story is: it's good to go fishing with someone who will not eat goldens and if they are not sure, convincing them they are not worth eating but the boat keeps them for crab bait shouldn't be too hard

cheers fnq

Thats Classic FNQ! Exactly my experience! I have been laughed out of the boat a few times by people who have no clue on the tastes of differing fish within species. On one charter off Tville years ago they called me "Catfish Charlie" for taking a Golden and two lovely Gold Spot Trevally. They said I was an idiot as they were bludger trveally! We ate some great meals off those fish, and on my reef fishing days and nights off Pt. Douglas a Gold Spot was always a prized take.
    Some people "know boats" but dont know Trevors.
    Another day trip off the Palms we came upon a huge Venus Tusk fish floating alive with the swim bladder keeping him on the surface. When we pulled him aboard he shit himself which had all and sundry declaring the fish as "sick, injured, crap eating etc ad infinitum..."
    I cleaned him and took the fish home and it was one of the best fish I have ever eaten. I used to pore over Grants Book of Fishes and pretty much knew the table qualities of such fish.
    If you live in FNQ, read up on your species because up there you are likely to pull many different fish over the side, and it pays to know what youve got.
    Cheers all a good read this post
    Barraboy7
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "