Thread: Who targets catfish??

Who targets catfish??

(wondering who'll put their hand up)

I'm talking about the big ones you get at the bottom of some dirty great big hole, or the ones that come up from those depths and cruise the surface of a night.

I must admit that I have this disposition to try and catch them on and off throughout the year, usually when the barra get the sulks on. Both our lakes are full of these critters and being only junior to crocs in the lake they get pretty big.

I got a couple of nice ones this weekend, the first one yesterday afternoon on a Tilsan trolled along the edge of the sunken river bank, the last this evening working a popper after dark no more the 500 metres off the ramp in a large section of wetlands dotted with dead trees.

They put up a pretty good account of themselves, they don't take as much line off the reel as a barra of similar size but take as long to get to the boat.

They'll willingly take a popper after dark,sometimes attacking the lure a couple of times before hooking up, really are a sucker for a couple of bloops and leave it sit for a minute.

Anyone else go looking for them???

Re: Who targets catfish??

Thats a brute of a catfish there mate! i only get the pissweak 40-50cm ones, i dont target them though, i target rays somtimes when the fish are frozen they liven you up a bit with there runs!

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Used too Dick but not anymore. Hands Up!

Got some pics of some fairdinkum doozies caught by a pro guide mate who takes parties up the Amazon.

Nice fish of yours but the Amazonian jobs make these look like Port Philip Bay flathead.

love to catch a couple that big. I have also only caught smallish catties. Be a good fight on 1 or 2 kg mono!

Jeremy

Big catties there Dick !!! Shaped like a bloody shark.
    I always try to grab a couple when I head out home ( Chinchilla ). Best eating freshwater fish I reckon. But I'm talking elltails, not those big forkies.
    Got my first lure caught eel tail the other day at North Pine Dam. I could tell it sure wasn't a bass as soon as I hooked it.
    I understand that the forkies can go pretty hard !!!

Dick.......I don't target catties.....they target me

Life would get pretty boring if there were no scavenging catties in our impoundments, and knowing that every hook-up was just one of those placid little barramundi.............................NOT

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Paul, bring that Sweet Chariot up to Awoonga and try to catch a cattie.... For some reason they seem to be in short supply....So lets see how skillfull you are ? Are you up to the challenge ??

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Paul, bring that Sweet Chariot up to Awoonga and try to catch a cattie.... For some reason they seem to be in short supply....So lets see how skillfull you are ? Are you up to the challenge ??
    Trev,

Got a couple in the ABT jigging TN70 Jackalls in schooled up fish on the bottom in NZ gully. I thought they might have been barra on the sounder..wrong

You can take as many as you can fit in your skeeter from here to there!!! We have plenty to go around. Like Paul said, they seem to targer me too.

Steve

Bloody slimy mongrel bycatch.......don't get me wrong, I don't mind the initial strike of a cattie when barra fishing but the immediate weaker round and round fight tells you it's a bloody catfish.

I try to keep these slime-spreading, bowel-voiding monsters out of my boat because:

a) Their slime gets everywhere
    b) They tend to poo over everything
    c) They smell bad and;
    d) Those spines can do some damage.

Just one of the ingredients of impoundment barra fishing, I guess.......

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Trev

We will be on your home turf in October....the catties are not safe from me I can tell ya I am up for the challenge. Have you got your new Skeet yet? Bet you were sad to part with the beloved Hornet.

Steve....lol......I reckon the only catties you have caught recently have been deep inside Homer's gullet .

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Found a head once, up the back of Lake Argyle that had been processed by the pros on the lake. Fish would have been near twice the size of the ones pictured, would love to pick up one of them

ahhrrgg..they are everywhere...on sunday night I pulled one out of 250 foot of water just 5km's from the edge of the shelf.

Thumbs up Re: Who targets catfish??

It is a pity we don't have a certain right as they do in the States.......Wind in a cattie...keeping at rod length...pull out the S&W 357 Magnum and whooska....that should do the trick...serves 2 purposes.....Handfree removal and eradication........Bargain....Will keep the Marine terrorists in line as well......Whitto

Can I take it that big freshwater catfish across that way are rare/nonexistant????