• Mighty Barra !

43 56.58%
  • Beastly Cod !

33 43.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cod or Barra?

Re: Cod or Barra?

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    Caught literally hundreds of Cod over the yrs and a lot of you blokes who've never caught them, I think will be very disappointed in their fighting capabilities.
    Once the head is lifted they give up the ghost from my experiences.
    Mate I have a colleague who grew up fishing for Murray cod, like you he has caught stacks over the years and they're his favourite fish. He always has a cod photo on his desktop wallpaper.

But even he has to admit, albeit very reluctantly, that a barra fight is infinitely better. (As for me, I'd be stoked to catch either over a metre!)

Never caught a Barramundi, mainly because I live thousands of kilometres away from them so its Murray Cod for me.

big cod are ugly barra look more magnificent the bigger they get, i think i'm going to have another go at cod this summer hopefully i'll get one this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Cod - because it rarer at that size. 120cm barra will be 'normal' soon the way they are going and growing.
    Exacly, when was the last time you heard of a cod that big being caught??

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Mate I have a colleague who grew up fishing for Murray cod, like you he has caught stacks over the years and they're his favourite fish. He always has a cod photo on his desktop wallpaper.

But even he has to admit, albeit very reluctantly, that a barra fight is infinitely better. (As for me, I'd be stoked to catch either over a metre!)
    Beautiful Fish, remind me of a sad eyed bloodhound for some reason.

BUT......In my opinion for what it's worth I've found them to be pretty much slugs.

When a lure caught cod of 1380mm & 86lb on 15lb line with matching rod only takes only 5 mins to land, {weigh & release- help with weighing} I think that pretty much sums up the sporting qualities.

I don't even enjoy chasing them very much anymore, got a buggered knee

I don't think the attraction of big cod has much to do with their fighting ability. It goes much further than that.
    Although I'm sure that a lot of people would be very surprised if they hooked onto one of that size.
    There's just something about the huge head that looks like a giant python as it slides out of the water. And some of the colours are amazing.
    I grew up fishing on the Condamine and remember my father tangling with some of these big cod. It sure didn't take him long to land them but when he did...I've honestly never seen him happier.
    I still remember my first ever cod when I was about five. I was with my Grandpa as I pulled a pretty little green fish up a sandbank and I still remember the old boys words " thats a two pounda ". Some things you never forget.
    They are few and far between out there now days but they are still being caught every once in a while.
    I'll have to say the cod, but only on the Condamine thanks. Trying to extact one from the unbelievable snags in some parts of that river would be great fun.
    When it comes to that style of cod fishing...it's much more than the fish. It's the rough country that you find yourself in, its looking at a snag and wondering if a huge old cod is hidden in there somewhere.
    I love them.

I voted cod. I grew up next to the Macintyre river catching Murray Cod and Yellow belly as a youngster - great memories.
    Unfortunately the carp reduced the native fish numbers and there was a couple of years when all we could catch was carp. My late granddad was involved in stocking the native fish and now the fingerlings are growing to legal size - especially the yella - and it's great to be catching the natives again when I go back. Whenever a cod comes to the boat we get him back in the water ASAP so he can go and eat a few more carp.
    The biggest one I've caught was about a 50 pounder, and I've got a soft spot for the Murray cod even if they don't fight like a barra. It's fantastic to see the results of the numerous stocking programs around the country.
    Hats off to those involved.

Thats right guys get behind the Cod!

as a 120cm cod is quite rare i voted cod, but if you went on fighting capabilities barra for sure. i wouldn't say no to either though.

i vote cod

I'm not keen to target Cod....I was under the impression they were a threatened species so I figured I'd leave them alone. Well at least the ones around here anyway, they're the Eastern Cod which are quite hard to find here.
    So barra for me!!

Cheers Rod.

cod for me,
    although the barra fights harder and they are both very iconic, the cods status is far higher being far less spread these days and no where near as common a catch as the big barra

Indeed mate, they are the monsters of the freshwater creek!

Cam

have not caught barra but loads of cod

I would rather Barra not impoundment Barra bu't wild caught salty. I find that the dam caught barra are a little sluggish compared to the wild salty.....I've lost count on the number of salties I have dropped near the bank that would have either been close to a metre or over.... due to the oyster rock area that I fish for them I can verify that 80lb leader is nothing on those oyster covered rocks. as far as the cod are concerned I have never had the pleasure so far hopefully some day...