Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Spinning Reels vs Daiwa Sol

Shimano Spinning Reels vs Daiwa Sol

Need to buy a new setup suited to 20lb braid but stuck in deciding on the reel. Looking at Shimano Sustain 4000, Shimano Twin Power 4000 and Shimano Stradic 5000(new models) or the new Daiwa Sol 4000. What do people think about value for money and performance?? Which of these is more superior??

Really want to put this one to rest..
    Cheers

Re: Shimano Spinning Reels vs Daiwa Sol

ford v holden again. I prefer Daiwa in equivalent models to Shimano. Just make sure you are comparing like for like, not higher model in one brand v lower model in other brand. having said that, at the top of the tree it comes down to brand preference. They both make top class reels reels at the upper end......they also both make crap reels at the lower end...you will get what you pay for. Some of us have preferences dictated by factors other than the performance of the individual reels......like service back up, parts availability, integrity of the aussie agents etc.

Cheers

Greg

It also depends if the lightness of the reel is any factor, i have a 4000 twin power and its great, smooth as, but pretty damm heavy (compared to the other mentioned), i think the sol will be the lightest

Um a Sol is out of ya catagory as it is only comes up to 3000 size....

cheers PM

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Magic View Post
    Um a Sol is out of ya catagory as it is only comes up to 3000 size....

cheers PM
    Not anymore. just released a 4000 size.

It comes down to cost, so how much are you being charged for these options?

I love my sustain, cos its so close to the stella specs. Ive also got a stradic, and Id be open to a diawa next time, just for a change.

Go the sustain if its similar in price.

I run 20 pound braid on a 2500 Sol. I quite like the Sol, and it handles the braid well, but can't compare it to the better Shimano's because I've never had one. If anyone would like to know why I run 20 pound braid on a 2500 size reel - because I can.
    Cheers

mate we use the twin power with 20 & 30lbs braid for deep water soft plastics.. does the job very nicely.... you will see when you hook onto a decent fish why it was well woth the money.

cheers joe

Trying to open my other eye ..... in considering shimano !
    If I was fishing plastics ......... The Sol with its much slower gear ratio ...
    If spinning is your go ....... Then the Sustain!

Nagg

thanks for the advice so far guys.. i spose any of these reels will be better then what i allready have haha.

lower retrieve ratio just means i'll haf to wind faster right?? also ive heard the daiwa reels would be tougher then the shimano's??

therz only a $60-100 difference between these reels i think! just dont want to be disapointed with my purchase

Cheeers

Quote Originally Posted by WestOzDesertFisher View Post
    thanks for the advice so far guys.. i spose any of these reels will be better then what i allready haha. lower retrieve ratio just means i'll haf to wind faster right?? also ive heard the daiwa reels would be tougher then the shimano's?? therz only a $60-100 difference between these reels i think! just dont want to be disapointed with my purchase
    Thats right ! ....... but when fishing plastics , it is preferable to have a lower (slower) ratio reel
    But if you are spinning ..... the faster the better (usually)

Nagg

can anybody help me on the positives and negatives for these particular reels..??
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Sorry Guys,

I was still in the dark ages...lol
    Now there is a 4000 SOL go it for the Plastician out the reef with 30lb daiwa dineama braid and it'll do u the job just fine....

Cheers and sorry PM

Quote Originally Posted by WestOzDesertFisher View Post
    can anybody help me on the positives and negatives for these particular reels..??
    Sol ...... The colour (YUK!) ... but a nice reel.
    Sustain ..... Is a little smoother to use & so it would just edge out the Sol IMO ( Depending on the final use)

WODF ....... if you bought either the Sol or Sustain , you'd have nothing to complain about as they are both well built , have nice waterproof drags .....Both come with a spare spool
    I'm a Daiwa man ..... but having tried both (2500s) , I'd have either ......... but would paint over the Sol

Good luck with the purchase ..... & let us know what you went for & think about it!

Cheers

Nagg

I think the sol is better value for money than the sustain.

I personally prefer the feel of the sol over the sustain as well , i find most of the middle range shimano stuff is a bit el cheapo looking and dinky. The daiwa's feel more solid but thats just me.

Its a tough choice that i couldn't make 6 months ago when i was looking for a medium heavy tuna/ mackeral combo. So good luck. Which ever way you go i'm sure you will be happy.