Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shimano Spinning Reels vs Daiwa Sol

Re: Shimano Spinning Reels vs Daiwa Sol

Can anybody tell me the difference between the Sustain and the Stradic??
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

The Sustain has seven bearings...the Stradic has 5 bearings. The build quality on the Sustain will obviously be better hence the extra cost. Both reels at the 4000 size will have around 20lb of drag. Both waterproof drag systems which is a big bonus.
    Both reels would be great to use. I use a 2500 size Stradic which I really enjoy.
    Go and pick ALL of these reels up "Shimano and Diawa" and have a good play with them. Really look closely at them. Ask heaps of questions.
    I quite often pick up a reel and just think Nope...wouldn't be happy with using that for four hours straight.
    All of the reels you've mentioned would be sweet to use and are well built, but you've got to be happy with it at the end of the day.
    The next question is how often will you use it. That can be a determining factor when laying a heap of cash on the tackle store counter.
    I use my reels once a week so I wouldn't buy a Stella, I'd like one but I can't justify the expense. The Stradic suits my needs for now.
    Oh and think about the warranty they offer. They do break !

go the sol!!!!

What is the difference between a reel with a 4.8 ratio and a reel with a 5.8?? 1.0 doesnt seem like much...

the diference is probably around 4 or 5 inches per turn of the handle

here is my conclusion.. all these reels would be great though leaning towards the sol for how much line it can hold compared to the shimano's n i believe it will still be able to effectively throw slugs etc.. also it comes at a good price.

what do people reckon???

I reckon you've done a great job of talking your self into a great reel. Enjoy it.

But...

Just for the record, the sol wont throw a slug any more or less effectively than the shimanos, it is in the speed of the retrieve where the difference lies. The extra rev per turn of the handle will equate to almost 1m extra per second at full on flat out retrieve, based on 8 spins per second. (i wonder how many spins is possible in one second, 8 maybe 10??).

For inshore pelagic spinning you can't beat a 4000 shimano. Why? The drag stays smoother longer. I've got an old model sustain that has had literally kilometers of drag stipped off it under pressure which is still running smoothe without being touched. I will use daiwa reels for other applications but for tuna and macks shimano all the way. Manufacturors always use a line per crank measure for retrieve speed, the main problem with this measure is that in real life your interested in speed in metres/second, how easy a reel is to wind and how short the handle is plays a huge part in how fast you can crank the slug back to the boat. Shorter handles on a smooth well balanced reel is my preference as you can crank harder for less effort and consequently for a longer period of time without tiering. A 4000 shimano will fit 300m of 20lb sunline pe on it perfectly. From my experiences of a pelagic has more the 200-250 out on you your probably going to loose it from pulled hooks rather than getting spooled. A 300 metre capacity gives you plenty of time to get the boat started and to be driving up on the fish. I haven't used many 4000 sized daiwas only a 4500 blast but found the long handle made it slow to wind even with a high speed gear ratio, how the new sols compare i do not know.