Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wreck of the Trinity Bay dredge Cairns?

Re: Wreck of the Trinity Bay dredge Cairns?

Hey Rod, that's the one I'm thinking of.

Like I said I've never fished it. Good luck to you's if you go out.

I hope seabreeze is reporting accurately this weekend. I looked at going on Sunday last week and i checked green island on sunday morning and it was 20 knots at 5am. So I stayed in bed.

The mackeral should be around the wrecks from now on I would image.

I'm looking at hitting arlington on the weekend if its down.

All the best guys
    Pazz

Fellas, won't get a chance to get out tomorrow, but am keen to have a look to see if it is the "Trinity Bay" Even keener to catch something off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom07 View Post
    Fellas, won't get a chance to get out tomorrow, but am keen to have a look to see if it is the "Trinity Bay" Even keener to catch something off it.
    Phantom we are probably heading in that general direction tomorrow, will let you (and the thread) know how it sounded up if get close enough find it .

cheers fnq

Fellas, sorry for the delay in getting back to thank you for your help with this project. I have a guy who is interested in wrecks and he has also supplied me with a copy of the Navy Australian Hydrograhic Service report which puts wreck of the Trinity Bay on the spot that Rod gave the GPS marks for. (Thanks Rod) The wreck was sunk by the RAAF in 1981 and is in 40 metres depth. If any of you guys are interested in a combined fishing day I am more than happy to take mine out, as long as you don't mind if I jump in and have a look while I'm out there. I'm at Kewarra Beach so I don't think I'm far away from you guys.

FNQ,

be prepared for a bit of a sound around if you are chasing that wreck out near Euston - we tried to find it one time but came up with nothing - mind you the guy whose boat i was in at the time wasn't interested in spending more than 10-15 minutes looking for it - and he didn't really do the sort of grid pattern i would have done looking for it (am in the process of getting my reef boat on the water - once i'm up and running i'll probably try and find it myself - if we get out on the water here in town - will most likely do most of my fishing out from Daintree where Daintreeboy and I have plenty of good spots already.

If you have a big boat - there's 3 wrecks out near the shelf/maybe even off the shelf that i'd love to search for one day NE of Euston just south of the Green Zone - never know what big ooglies are on them - but i expect they'd be near impossible to find. i have the rough marks where they were sunk but in that depth i reckon there's buckleys of finding them, let alone fishing them properly

Moffy

Moffy did you ever wrestle that boat out of that reluctant sellers grasp a couple of years ago?

Thanks for the info, I have not got there yet, was expecting a good show on the sounder too. I might have to take more notice, i understand the alley it lies in is an ok spot to drift fish the bottom.

Yeah can do the shelf although the sounder is only 500w so it might have a little trouble depending, still would be fun to fish a wreck like those.

Throw me a pm if ever your up for a tag-along out wide.

cheers fnq

Cheers FNQ,

Bit of a story with that boat - can't remember where it left off - but the gist of it is - i eventually got to take if for a test and it was everything i was expecting from the CCC centre console - took a half metre swell in its stride heading out the leads. I spent an arvie helping the guy clean it out (after 2 years in storage (cats having litters in it etc) trying to get him to sell - but still no dice.

I ended up changing jobs about that time - I was sick of working as a solicitor so took a few months off looking for something different, so let the boat be for a while - When I started work again I thought i'd go and give it one final try to get this boat - but it turned out a "mate" of mine who had come and checked it out with me (and who had since left to go to the Territory) went and bought it behind my back and took it to the territory - i'd finally got the bloke ready to sell and my mate nabbed the boat (at a decent price too) if he had of asked if i still wanted it i probably would have just told him to buy it as i didn't know when i would be in the position to buy it while between work - but he didn't do me the courtesy..... - the owner rang him every night for two weeks afterwards though - regretting having sold it. I ran into the bloke a couple of months ago actually and he was still talking about how he shouldn't have sold it..............

Anyhow - am working on restoring a wooden boat at the moment - will put a project post up at some point - one of the boats that Daintreeboy's Dad built years ago - very good sea boats for their size and great fishing boats - we've caught mobs and mobs of fish out of them - out the reef and up the rivers - bit smaller than the CCC but will do me well for a few years once i've fixed it all up (bit to go yet).

Cheers,

Moffy.

Oh yeah - there just might be some decent reds country out that way FNQ..........

FNQ & Moffy I am always keen for a tag along. Should have been out this morning??

Yeah - should have been out today definitely especially given I'm up in Weipa was ideal conditions up here today - but had to work unfortunately - hopefully might get in a few hours tomorrow morning before working all afternoon -

Since I go back to Cairns Thursday I figure i'll have to make the effort........... (got a few barra over the weekend (my brother got a horse out around the rocks (and some golf in as well) would be nice to add to the tally tomorrow morning)