Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What has Gender got to do with it????

Re: What has Gender got to do with it????

I have been involved in the ANSA and Gamefishing scene for over 30 years. Involved in clubs from Melbourne to Brisbane, as well as enjoying the 'weekend dangle' for relaxation. There are many women like Roz out there, who are probably more competent than most males at fishing (and i mean all aspects of it). I agree that the numbers of males far outweigh the number of females in 'competitions' but I reckon if you could get em all together and formulate some sort of knowledge and skills test.....right across the board...on level playing fields....the numbers would come damn close to being even at the top of the tree. My two best deckies, over the years, have been mys sister and my ex wife (based on a competency level of all aspects of fishing/boating) and there are some very high profile fisherMEN included in that comparison list.

Cheers
    Greg

Gender has nothing really to do with fishing at all. I've won a couple of grands worth of prizes from the female category in fishing comps (booby prizes I call them) and if they're on offer, hey, I've got no qualms about claiming them
    but there really is no reason to have a female section. Most female anglers would be in agreeance.

However there are some females who are new to the game of fishing or haven't the confidence to enter what is still considered the male domain of fishing comps.
    It's like female only gyms. They really are a better place for the girls to exercise at as you don't have to worry about any male gym junkies looking up your shorts when you're doing sit ups . Some women may be confident in a mixed gym but others aren't as confident. Some women gain a lot of confidence fishing in a comp designed specifically for them.

The Lady Fishers comps are run very professionally by Bev Cheffins who is a mad keen angler herself. She runs a comp for girls to encourage them into the sport of fishing. As well as the fishing/competition side of things, if a girl is a newbie she can learn how to tie knots properly and get tips on casting. Girls who are competent can fish in an all girls team and if the girls haven't the experience on the water they can opt to have a male skipper. There are seperate prize categories for the champion "skippered" team as well as a prize for the all girls team that wins.

Interestingly enough the girls that fish in "skippered" teams (ie with male skipper) will often come back the following year in an all girls team as they have been given the confidence they've been needing. (This regularly happened in the N.T. with the Reel Women comps).

The comps are based around having FUN!!!! The next Lady Fishers comp is at Awoonga in November. Check out their website www.###########.com.au (enter lady fishers where the "#"s are) and check out the smiles on the ladies' faces..... AWESOME
    Last edited by LeeannP; 14-08-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: change wording

When you start to think about what makes a really good angler......is it strength in their arms ?.....no. Is it purely stamina ? ....no.
    It's whats between their ears. The best fishermen I've met have fishing brains. They work things out, they research, they know their prey's environment, they know the habits of the fish they seek, they develop their technique.
    A woman can do that just as well as a man I'd say.

Back to the original question ......... I think that it is a way of encouraging more females into the sport ...... Which is a good thing . You do the same for Juniors too ........ Its about encouragement!
    On the flip side ...... There is no reason as far as I can see why both Females & Juniors cannot compete in the open category .......... Its not like golf where women tees are pushed forward .......... They use the same tackle ( sometimes pink ) fish the same , line & baits ..... for the same species.
    I just think that too many clubs / associations are still run by old fuddy duddies that are living in the 20th century.

Just my thoughts

Nagg

....... PS , I like the ABTs approach

I guess Chris at my age 61 next birthday...Im aware of what u are saying and I agree entirely that some events are run by old fuddie duddies or people set in their way's and I have to say I hate that.......years ago as a young man I started to play Lawn Bowls...the lady bowlers were called associates and the men were called members...the woman were not concidered equal......I gave it away as a direct result of that custom..........No matter what we do in competition as men...women should be able to participate on equal terms without question.......Fishing comps should be Senior and Junior catagories and thats all....for years woman fought for equality and it would seem the boys club still exists more's the pity.......I don't fish competitions anymore..been there done that...having said that I learnt alot about fishing for certain species from going to comps over the years.......lift your game boys our fairer sex are equal's and some......Keep on keeping on Ladies.....Whitto

I'd like it if my wife would come fishing, but she finds it boring and if there is more than a ripple on the water she goes green.
    It makes it hard to find the time to get out on the water sometimes because it is not something we have in common unfortunately

I admire women who are highly competent in all aspects of fishing, and any wonder, most women have highly organised minds
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Interesting thread - had waayy too many beeeeerszzzz to reply coherentyl though. (rain off day - and national anti stress day - hope the neighbours like Gart Brooks)

Anyone mentions Fraser as a fishing comp should be shot - way too much rum there to take anyfing too seriously.

The whole 'womens' section thing was prolly started by a whinger who couldn't do the business. Definitely not applicable to the ladies I see posting here - quality individuals unlike myself.

I only ever did one comp - Fraser - bit of a wank really. Prolly should have read the rules cause we came home with a boatload of the best pearlies you've seen only to be told they don't weigh them? Must be considered vermin up north.
    Is it only me or do the comp results in B&B etc. read a bit they don't have a clue? I don't get it.
    Installing flame proof jacket now, and damn proud to have made it through the reply without a sexyist comment.

P.S. My future wife to be in the past used to crack pipis on the back of an alvey, catch tailer, break their necks and upend them in the sand under the ute.
    Now were married - she hasn't fished in years - Is it because I have a small " mind " ? Help me ladies I need your help.

C.J.

edited by Moderator...... you didn't think it would get through CJ... did you ?
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 24-07-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks phill, I'll probably thank you for it when I sober up.

Thanks for that post Leanne, I am looking forward to catching up with Bev at the ANSA conference at Yeppoon in august, she is one very passionate lady about fishing and organises a brilliant comp by any standards. Maybe this year I can organise one of my work trips to coincide with the Awoonga comp to lend a hand....I dont mind being the camp cook/bottlewasher while the gals fish.

Greg

I always miss the juicy bits..bugga!!!!

Anybody know if the I.G.F.A still have a female section for records??? I remember they did at one stage, there were so many blank sections you would only have to simply catch the species to claim a world record, no merit there at all.

On the other hand A.N.S.A only has juniors and seniors, that makes it fair for everyone imo.

cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

i recon gender should have sweet FA to do with it...fish caught by anglers should be judged on weight...gear etc...not if you have boobs or a beanbag...credit given where credit is due...as a female who fishes...encouragment has been the key factor for me...ive been extremely blessed with a patient husband that is willing to help me be a better angler...calming me down when i get flustered on the boat ramp (i reverse the trailer down when we go out/park it up... and hitch the boat up when we come back in)...and if it takes an all women comp to get more interest in the sport...so be it...(its got me gee'd up for the Awoonga Comp)...my 2 cents worth
    (Mrs Benno1)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Thanks for that post Leanne, I am looking forward to catching up with Bev at the ANSA conference at Yeppoon in august, she is one very passionate lady about fishing and organises a brilliant comp by any standards. Maybe this year I can organise one of my work trips to coincide with the Awoonga comp to lend a hand....I dont mind being the camp cook/bottlewasher while the gals fish.

Greg
    Bev is an absolutely lovely lady isn't she? It's amazing how many boys put their hands up to be the camp cook at that one It's what fishing is about. Get out, wet a line, come back in and brag about the caught ones and drown your sorrows over the ones that got away. I think we'll be in S.A. when the comp is on so unfortunately I'll be missing it this year.

Roz that comment was never intended to be offensive, but obviously it was. I apologise.

I'm still of the opinion that anything that will encourage more women into fishing is a good thing.

You were treated abominably at that comp. Blokes who can't stand getting beaten, shouldn't be competing in anything. Changing the rules like that is pure bad sportsmanship.

I believe that women should compete equally with men if they choose to do so, but should not be forced to do so and hence the opportunity to fish against other women.

My Mrs agrees with Leeann P that an all-female gym is a good thing, for the very reason that Leeanne raises.

But she still doesn't want to go fishing!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bushbeachboy View Post
    I'm still of the opinion that anything that will encourage more women into fishing is a good thing.

You were treated abominably at that comp. Blokes who can't stand getting beaten, shouldn't be competing in anything. Changing the rules like that is pure bad sportsmanship.

I believe that women should compete equally with men if they choose to do so, but should not be forced to do so and hence the opportunity to fish against other women.

My Mrs agrees with Leeann P that an all-female gym is a good thing, for the very reason that Leeanne raises.

But she still doesn't want to go fishing!!!!!!
    It's a bugger that your Missus doesn't like to fish however if we were all the same the world would be a very boring place indeed.

It's also good to see that there are a couple of "glamour girls" in the mags of late.... Miss Australia and Miss Indy. Certainly takes away the "rough as guts" image of the sport (though boys, there's nothing wrong with being rough as guts )