Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What has Gender got to do with it????

Re: What has Gender got to do with it????

But in a Proper comp (like the abt) it doesnt matter if your male or female they count as one!!!!!!

Sounds like your getting plenty of support roz, Im behind you too.

So which comps are discriminating? I thought most comps would accept you side by side to the men.

As another thought, what do you think should happen to women like my wife who only fish a few times a year? would they be more encouraged by getting a best female award in a comp, or more discouraged if they had to compete 'open'?

Sure, gender has nothing to do with fishing abilities, but its not just a simple question of your own ability to compete on equal terms. Whats best for the sport? How do you encourage beginners?

I think you should at least have the option of nominating yourself in the Open division. Im sure youd outfish me.

Andrew

Gender should never be an issue, equal opportunity, Try segregating in the work force and see how far u get.....If Lady's and Girls wish to compete there is no reasonable reason that prevents them from doing so.........Keep flying the Flag Roz your on the right track....Whitto

I do know what you mean Roz with the patronizing thing... anyone would think we were all cripples who couldn't fish to save ourselves. The number of times I hear the incredulous comment "Oh, so you fish then?" at the tackle trade show... I don't see any of my male colleagues get asked that, EVER.

However, if creating a separate women's category in comps helps to get more women to fish, that's a good thing. Some women might be intimidated otherwise, which would be a pity. And they still have a shot at the Champion Angler Overall.

My mum tells of the days when it was free for women to get a tertiary education, to help kickstart some equality in that respect. When the sex ratio balanced out, the government stopped the incentive. Perhaps that will eventually happen with most fishing comps ending up like the ABT circuit? I notice more dads taking their little girls fishing these days, which bodes well for the future.

Good topic though, it's quite thought-provoking.

Can't see why there is a need to run separate comps. Fishing is a combination of skill & good fortune, not strength.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

ok heres how i see it. should be all 1 comp not divided between male and female. and when it is seperate females should not be able to be judged as a part of the male division unless the fellas can request to be a part of the female division. just for fairness.

To go off on a slight tangent, I reckon that women's fishing mag was a hair-brained concept. What could women possibly want to read in a fishing mag that's female-specific? Maybe info on where to buy women's fishing shirts or those fugly hot pink rods, that's it... unless you count reports on the female-only comps, but you can read about those elsewhere.

By the same token we should have female cycling mags or skiing mags... it makes no sense IMO.

is there any info on the female/ male ratio in recreational fishing ,???

I was in a deep sea club for a number of years which had both male and female champions as well as juniors,to be honest/blunt if it weren't for the female catagory they would not have got a look in on presentation night as in an overall pointscore nearly all finished at the bottom of the field even when fishing out of some of the better producing boats,they (probably 15% of total participants) were quite happy with the set up and if it weren't for the catagory I dare say a lot wouldn't be as keen.

Woman on average fish way, way less than men. I reckon they should all be one (like the abt) works fine for that!!!!!

I cant agree more with Roz & Nic on the way people (read: MEN) carry on when they find out I fish, and own a boat - AND go fishing by myself 90% of the time.

Very patronisong! Usually just shut my mouth & do my own thing.

Not being in an area for serious comps - here is my 2 bobs worth - I think social fishing clubs create the most categories they can to encourage families to participate, which can only be a good thing. That being said, I do agree that in a more serious competiton that it is unnecessary for the mens/womens to be separate.

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

On charters where women came along it was often the case that the sheilas outfished the blokes.Absolutely no reason for the separation of gender.Sing it loud Roz.Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

We don't discriminate in Ausfish M&G's. Each person is equal and thats how it should be. Give the juniors a bit of incentive and leave it at that
    Roz, maybe the boys are going to try to push you into the ladies category for the 1770 cook off

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Maybe info on where to buy women's fishing shirts or those fugly hot pink rods, that's it...
    Apologises for being OT :
    I am a SERIOUS girly girl, exessively NEW to fishing & boating and I take offense to your statement above ... I have 2 aparently fugly hot pink rods & I have 2 equally fugly Okuma Pink/Silver reels, Pink Okuma & Shimano caps oh and not to mention my pink Mad Keen shirt & my newly aquired pink rain jacket (purchased from a fishing shop) ... These products actually encourage quite a few women to join in this sport.

I also just spent $5000 buying MY first little 14ft runabout to learn with and an array of other rods/reels to cover most requirements. (Not Big $$$$ but hell, I own 6 rods in total now - not bad for someone who went fishing for the very first time in April of this year)

Back to the topic:
    Gender seperation for these comps, to someone who has never been in one, seems alittle un-necessary to me. I think regardless of gender it would be a reasonably fair match Male Vs Female considering it is a sport of skill & technique .... Perhaps my take is wrong??
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!
    ..... Love My Haines Hunter .....

So where are you now Roz that you started this??!!! I don't see any discrimation, favouritism or anything of the like in any comps. It's all about giving everyone a fair go and distributing the most amount of encouragement through accolades as is possible.
    If the majority of comp entrants are male, and there was no prize for the minority females, would you see that as being unfair?
    Enter the world of the hunter and gatherer and we're all on equal footing!!

Looking forward to meeting you one day!

Dave