Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recommend a good cheap PFD & how to 'interact' with jetskiers

Anyone recommend a good cheap PFD & how to 'interact' with jetskiers

Hey guys,
    just joined the Yak club and am hunting for a new PFD.
    Anyone know of any good deals at the mo? Any info gratefully received.

Also- first trip out on the Pine River saw me get DRENCHED by a sh1thead on a jet ski - (guy swerved in front of me and gave it a good squirt of juice) does this happen often to yakkers??? Thinking of getting a telescopic gaff...
    **I got a 55cm flattie on the troll tho, so all is good **

Any info gratefully received.
    Jimbo

Re: Anyone recommend a good cheap PFD & how to 'interact' with jetskiers

With the pfd, in my experience it doesn't really matter when your paddling, i've paddled with plenty of really poor ones but they didn't annoy me at all - as long as it is able to save you from drowning any pfd will do.

As for the jetskiers, if I could vote, I would vote in favour of anyone who would legalise the shooting of jetskiers.

I got the biggest, chunkiest, uglies pfd you could think of (think yellow and purple), and yet when I'm paddling, it doesnt bother me at all (dont even realise its on). It even keeps you warm in winter. I say, just buy something safe, and with pockets if possible.

As for the jet ski's, bring some big metal slugs with no trebles on them, clip em on and cast away. That should get their attention.
    Perception Swing Flatty and bream angler
    Landbased Too.
    Subaru Lover

Cheers guys,
    bagged a cheapie from Big W ('et' brand, I'll just throw a patch over the 'et' emblem) and looking into a forward mount for my potato cannon.
    Those jetskiers wont know what hit them- but they'll hear it.
    Jimbo

Just wait till the water skiers start when it gets warmer. They make the jet skiers look like angels. They don't give a toss about other water users. Ive had em come within about 3 or 4 meters up the South Pine. Downright dangerous.
    Stue

Quote Originally Posted by Blueroo View Post
    Just wait till the water skiers start when it gets warmer. They make the jet skiers look like angels. They don't give a toss about other water users. Ive had em come within about 3 or 4 meters up the South Pine. Downright dangerous.
    Stue
    Yeah the human lures do get pretty thick in the Pine at times. Theres just not enough room there for a ski area.

Right,
    telescopic gaff it is then... ;-)

I like the foward mounted poatoe cannon idea!!! If the the cops ask you could tell them its a burley launcher.

Go to any good camping shop and buy yourself a slingshot while there still legal to buy em here as queensland is the only legal place to buy em in australia. They will notice ya if u fire a ball bearing or a sinker into the side of there jetski lol

Hmm,
    might need the potato cannon loaded with frozen orange and camping stove gas if I ping him with the slingshot and he decides to come back...
    Tried that combo a while back and lost the orange in the clouds :-0

Mate this wasn't last weekend was it? I saw the heap of jetski's in the pine river and I was getting quite peeved with the way they drive those things around near my boat, frankly... they could see I was irritated. I have no respect for people who don't respect ettiquite of the boat ramps, if somone is waiting to come in it usually means there is a line..... they cut the line as usual... my best thought, smile and wave, note the car they had and slash the tyres..... what they do to people is straight up dangerous and should loose their car license.... I guess its safety in numbers for those guys, mate if they were in trouble I would be happy to throw a sinker their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy247 View Post
    my best thought, smile and wave, note the car they had and slash the tyres
    G'day

And you sound like a real hero

Dave

Mate,
    What they do isn't safe, It would be considered dangerous driving, I saw this loser on a jet ski circle people in a boat throwing water up at them....
    hows this ok?
    If I was cutting hoops on the road in my car mate, I would be fined and more than likely be charged with dangerous driving.... along with the list of fines longer than my arm..... Does someone have to be seriously injured before something happens???? If some idiot was cutting hoops around my kids in the street I would do more than slash his tyres. Play safe and Stay safe....

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

And you sound like a real hero

Dave
    Heroes save lives Dave.

Cheers

just remember that not all jet skiiers are inconsiderate wankers. It's like saying all fisherman are lazy pricks because they leave their fish guts and frames all over the ground at the ramps. Like with most sports, its the actions of few that spoil it for everyone else
    30m and 6 knots?? isnt that the rule? They all have rego numbers. No one like to be a 'dobber' but some people are just too stupid to be able to figure it out for themselves without a reminded from Mr Policeman