Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone recommend a good cheap PFD & how to 'interact' with jetskiers

Re: Anyone recommend a good cheap PFD & how to 'interact' with jetskiers

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy247 View Post
    Heroes save lives Dave.

Cheers
    G'day

They sure do, but I garuntee they go about their heroics in a different matter.

Dave

OK OK OK guys,
    let's just agree that everyone does n't have the same courtesy and violence never solved anything (no smart remarks thanks!).
    Increase the peace....
    Jimbo

Get the QB&FP off their lazy arses to come & sort 'em out. Not a good idea to get involved personally, that can be dangerous to your health.

yes theres nothing more annoying than having the peacful panorama shattered by some fuel injected speed machine buzzing by at close and inconsiderate proximity.

I hate that..

(eh,, sorry, Im way off topic)

Dan

A picture can say a thousand words.......waterproof digi camera or even your camera phone may be enough evidence to support a fine.

some of the distances for PWCs are greater than 30 meters.

I agree that a written complaint may be helpfull in getting some inforcement.

cheers

Cheers oldboot,
    waterproof camera added to the quiver :-)

I think Hamish summed it up well. There are good and bad of all types.

I am an avid wave runner owner and rider, and one who is responsible.
    I am also a fisherman, one who is responsible.

Now if I wasnt a fisherman, my view could be that fisherman are environmental vandals. I could go on about the disgusting amount of rubbish I see polluting the broad water and its many sand islands. Bait bags, fishing line tangles, ice bags and empty beer bottle tallie stuffed with a bait bag was my last supprise when I beached on the deserted and what should be pristine side of wavebreak island for a picnic.

Or last time I was fishing off redcliffe in a mates boat at night, and we came across a "pod" of people in kyaks with NO LIGHTS ON, and it was only the fact that we were in a 4st doing 15 odd knotts that we heard their voices yelling to each other and laughing before we seen them in the pitch black.

Sure Jet skies are in your face. Thats because some have 200hp and supercharged engines in 8ft vessels and accelerate faster than a V8 on land 0-100km/hr - so doing this 100m from you will cause more notice than a kyak being paddled gracefully along the shore...... and neither are doing anything wrong... Its just jet skies are loud, noisey, in your face and if your not on them grinning from ear to ear - I appreciate they can be a pain in the ar*e.

I think it comes down to tollerance and respect for each other, and leading by example. We also need to report dangerous behaviour and if caught - massive fines exist. I am not condoning that for a second - and I hope they are caught and their jetskies (or boats or kyaks) are crushed just like car hoons on land.

We have all been embarrassed at times by being falsy represented by people from our various hobbies / fraternities... Many times I have landed at the grand hotel jetty boat ramp and cringed at the bogans on wave runners with their language around families and kids, or cutting accross that turning beacon with no regard for others safety...... but I too have seen this with boaties, fisherman and Kyaks.

I will finish on one last thing, I think wave runner riders are under regulated, and this ignorance of some riders contributes to them pi**ing people off. As I indicated, some off the shelf jetskies are literally rockets on water, and yet all I need is 25K, some balls, and a PWC license (in QLD) or a recreational marine license in some other states, and I am competent to operate a missile. There is no "L" or "P" plate consideration, no reduction in pillion passanger limitations, no speed limit restriction etc etc.... and no real education. I think helmets should be mandatory, and reduced speed and teared / probationary license structure should be implemented. There also needs to be a greater police presence on the water, to control the rouges from all vessel types.

*steps of soap box*

Quote Originally Posted by jim_bream View Post
    Hey guys,
    just joined the Yak club and am hunting for a new PFD.
    Anyone know of any good deals at the mo? Any info gratefully received.

Also- first trip out on the Pine River saw me get DRENCHED by a sh1thead on a jet ski - (guy swerved in front of me and gave it a good squirt of juice) does this happen often to yakkers??? Thinking of getting a telescopic gaff...
    **I got a 55cm flattie on the troll tho, so all is good **

Any info gratefully received.
    Jimbo
    1 thing the wankers forget mate, we can wait at the boat ramp and ive been there and done that before up at maroochy river. Once they climb off that thing they are no longer further up the food chain from us kayaks. Like all things in life mate it's just a matter of show each other some respect or maybe some big ugly 6' 4' ###### on a kayk will hand you your arse. merry christmas fellow kayakers

Paddle over to a really shallow sandbank then start abusing them, they will come over to wet you, and might get a little suprise at the depth!!!

does it make me a bad person if, when i saw a jetskier fall off and seriously hurt himself, i just had a little giggle to myself?
    boat minder- only $40 a day

This should serve as both, if not interaction with jet skis should be minimal.