Thread: Christmas island trip

Christmas island trip

Hi all, I am off to Christmas island chasing bones/trevors in a few weeks. Is there any seasoned travellers who have any tips for gear and ancillary equipment that I may require. I will be using a redington 8wt with a lamson reel and wf9f line(bonefish and redfish), 200m of 20lb braid with a 10lb flouro tippet and a selection of crazy charlies. Any other suggestions appreciated.
    Craig

Re: Christmas island trip

Hi Craig , I have been there ands it is a fantastic spot , in fact I am going back in two weeks might see you there . As far as info goes , there is a absolute encyclopedia of it on another forum but when it is mentioned here it gets filtered and I get in trouble . So I would suggest googling Saltwater flyfishing and see what comes up on Australian sites. The info you want is vast and varied I hope you find what you are after.

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Hi all, my trip to xmas island was great, there are bonefish everywhere, the guides at the captain cook hotel are fantastic and the beer was cold. For those who are interested it is hard to beat the price of eight days fishing in this tropical paradise. for info about 100 bonefish for the week and my biggest was 27inches long, average fish was around 18-19 inch. The size of the GTs swimming past is scary.

Craig
    Great to hear you had a ##### time. 100 bones for the week sounds like a blast, especially when you are in paradise to start with. How did the gear side of things go? Will the bass at maroon ever look the same? Like to catch up for a fisk soon. Did the vatiety, toga on fly comp a few weekends ago, had a ball.
    Jeff
    Fly rods were made to bend!

sounds like a great trip Craig,
    what sorta $$ can one get over there and amonst it for

about 3k with guides and food

Thats with airfares as well
    I am going back for two weeks next year for my fourth trip , the KPC Villages are hands down the best place to stay ! best Guides, Best Food and best spot. That place is heaven

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Hi yellahunter
    Trip cost was $3900 for 8 days fishing all inclusive except beer and softies. I can't comment on other hotels facilities, but I was happy with the Captain cook hotel. Aircon, single room, hot shower, cold beer. The head guide was flexible with the fishing arrangments for our days. I actually preferred the truck fishing more than the skiff fishing as we got up into the back of the lagoon to some fabulous coves with some great choke points for ambush fishing. I caught more fish from skiff fishing, but the quality in the back lagoon was brillant. 5 fish in 5 casts at Cat Paw island all over 24 inches including the 27 inch fish of the trip. The best advice from the guides was don't go during the american winter as there is way to many people. The week I was there there was lucky to be 20 people fishing on the whole lagoon, when the clouds hugged the entire western side of the lagoon ruining the fishing over there, there was 20 people within sight on the eastern lagoon. It would be crap with 100plus people there. If you want a ton of info send me your email and I will give you a heap of useful info.