Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bream / light squire outfit??

Re: Bream / light squire outfit??

Mate I have the bear s1-7 with a 2000 sol. It is an awesome setup and with a luvius or certate even nicer.

I have stopped a very big queenie on this outfit with 4lb, so the rod is more than capable for some bay squire. It also handle 50cm+ trevs easy.
    Keep smiling, It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Your gunna love the BeaR S1 Matt, looking forward to hearing about the christening.
    Cheers
    Mike

ha ha like you're gunna be able to stop at a Bear S1..1 Egrell is not enough

Saw smoked's outfit and i couldnt help but show you guys my baby to combat those bream n bigger fish..

What's up with the butt Haybii? Did you shut it in the car door or somthing?

nah mate... had a big fish on and it came off the hooks... got soo pissed off i took it on the poor rod... no wonder i dont catch any fish anymore... i might have to take it to a panel beater or blacksmith... know of any ?

Hey haybii, nice outfit! I am hoping to pick up an exist and MB rod next week. Do you prefer the cork to the duralon knob? The exist native custom has cork but its freshwater only. Also, is that the sunline braid and whats it like?

Plastix, the 2000 size certate is not overkill. It has 4kg of drag so you can slow down the big fellas but you can buy a 2004 spool to fit it which is shallow and has 2 kg of drag. Then you have the best of both worlds. The luvias will also be a pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by haybii View Post
    Saw smoked's outfit and i couldnt help but show you guys my baby to combat those bream n bigger fish..
    Another Weapon lovely!

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by leelee View Post

In all honesty people always say that the bigger sized reels aka 2500 size reels are to big and heavy. I try not to laugh to much because when you compare the weights you will be amazed.

The 2000 sized Luvias weighs in at 200gram and the 2500r Cerate comes in at a massive 265 grams. 65 grams difference ha ha ha. Reels like Nugg mentioned are far superior, even though they are older and perform just as good if not better. N.B the 2506 Emereldas is a purpose built squiding reel and is one of the best reels I have had the pleasure to use.

I think to many people these days think that you must have 2000 sized reels, but they forget that most 2500 sized reels are 2000 reel bodys with the bigger 2500 spool. Reminds me of the days when anglers thought you have to use 1000 sized reels to fish for bream because anything bigger was to bulky ha ha ha ha

Mate the guys that own 2500r’s and use them for the same as what you want to use them for will tell you that yes they are overkill for just bream, but when hunting bream you get some great bycatch that makes you glad you decided to get the bigger reel.

Really its up to you and either the cerate or the luvias would be a great reel to buy. But I managed to fit about 220m-250m of 20lb sunline super pe, so imagine how much 10lb you would fit on it. Think over 300m and then you might even be able to throw lures for some bay tuna or mackerel maybe.

Sorry to ramble on but these are all the same types of questions I used to get asked at the tackle store back in nsw, so its good to get them sorted before you hand over the cash.

Cheers

Lee
    Thanks Lee appreciate your comments. I have a 3000 sol spooled up with 10lb and 20lb and think that a 2500 is possibly a bit too close. The 2000's balanced perfectly with the S1-7 and for what i'm planning on using it for the 150lb of braid plus backing will be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredluke View Post
    I'd go the starlo stix tournament pro and the certate 2000. I use the starlo stix pro for my squire/snapper fishing around here at redcliffe it's good fun on the light gear.
    Was looking at the SS tournament pro litespin originally but after holding a t curve then a S1 i just couldn't go back. Nice rods for sure and i have been considering the maxspin for a tuna/mackeral rod but thats another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbo View Post
    Mate I have the bear s1-7 with a 2000 sol. It is an awesome setup and with a luvius or certate even nicer.

I have stopped a very big queenie on this outfit with 4lb, so the rod is more than capable for some bay squire. It also handle 50cm+ trevs easy.
    How does the whole set up go chucking small hb's and light jig heads? How did it handle the queenie? and how big?

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    Your gunna love the BeaR S1 Matt, looking forward to hearing about the christening.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Haven't got it just yet. i am gonna get the reel from OS so will wait till i get the reel before i go buy the rod, otherwise i'd be too tempted to throw my stinkin old abu 2000 on it just to see how the rod goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    ha ha like you're gunna be able to stop at a Bear S1..1 Egrell is not enough
    Yeah, i see why you have an egrell obsession they are definately nice rods. I'll get that S10 one day

Quote Originally Posted by haybii View Post
    Nice bling!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
    Hey haybii, nice outfit! I am hoping to pick up an exist and MB rod next week. Do you prefer the cork to the duralon knob? The exist native custom has cork but its freshwater only. Also, is that the sunline braid and whats it like?

Plastix, the 2000 size certate is not overkill. It has 4kg of drag so you can slow down the big fellas but you can buy a 2004 spool to fit it which is shallow and has 2 kg of drag. Then you have the best of both worlds. The luvias will also be a pleasure
    Whats with the shallow spools? i know they are lighter but other than that what is the advantage? I am heading out for a flick with a mate in the morning so will try his certate 2000 which will no doubt tempt me towards one.

double posted

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post

Tetsuo - i didnt really have a preference on the knob.. my luvias 3000 has the duralon knob and the steez has the rubber coated cork knob ... cork is nice cause it looks and feels more finesse than the standard knob..the line that i got on is 10lb Line System Bass Hard PE braid - good stuff... has not let me down yet..however i got some sunline pe jigger hg light special waiting patiently to be chucked on when the time comes...took me a while to decide on a rod... most megabass rods have metal rod seats which i am scared of cause of the potential of causing a scratch on the reel.. luckily this one doesnt have it...

Plastix, I'm not sure of the real advantage of the shallow spool apart from needing less backing to fill it. They actually have a small indent for the knot aswell. The best thing about the 2004 spool is the 2kg smoooth drag. I have a 2004 finesse custom and its sweet as.

Had a flick with my mates 2000 certate this morning and i think i'm gonna pay the extra. for $70 more than the luvias its gotta be the certate.

Look out for sweresy's report of this morning. 64cm snap after 8 oclock. was on his 3000 certate though, would have loved to see the 2000 handle it.

Yes very close to the 3000 sol in size.

Like I said before, either the Certate or the new Luvias, either way you will be happy.

Cheers

Lee

Mate the rod and reel handled the queenie easy, It was the line I was worried about. The fish went close to 90cm, never got a proper measurment on it though.

The outfit with 4lb, throws sx40's, towardis and other light surface lures with ease. I have also never had a wind knot on this outfit with TD sensor braid. I also have the spare spool on the sol with 10lb yeamtoyo on it for some bigger beasts.
    Keep smiling, It makes people wonder what you're up to.