Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum Sealers. which have cheap bags?

Re: Vacuum Sealers. which have cheap bags?

Quote Originally Posted by BrewGuru View Post
    I use this mob http://vacuseal.com.au/skin1/images/..._catalogue.pdf
    Might do discounts for networking purchases, nice family as well
    Thanks for the link.

What is interesting with the pricing is that it is actually cheaper to buy the bags than to buy the roll and make your own bags to the same size. I had always assumed rolls would work out cheaper.

Sorry for the Re-Reply I missed putting the 3 in the phone number Phone number now correct.

Hi All, My name is Darren and i am a new member user name dbates, Flexible packaging, sealing equipment, Plastic bags and rolls, and vacuum packaging is my game, please take a look at our website and give me a call and I will be able to help you out.

www.redblade.com.au

Phone Darren (07) 32622344

regards, Darren

Quote Originally Posted by dbates View Post
    Sorry for the Re-Reply I missed putting the 3 in the phone number Phone number now correct.

Hi All, My name is Darren and i am a new member user name dbates, Flexible packaging, sealing equipment, Plastic bags and rolls, and vacuum packaging is my game, please take a look at our website and give me a call and I will be able to help you out.

www.redblade.com.au

Phone Darren (07) 32622344

regards, Darren
    Thanks Darren, while you are here what is your expert opinion on the members conundrum? from personal experience every direction on bags seem to lead to a dead end when trying to achieve a domestic and cost effective result.

cheers fnq

Darren, I was wondering if you could add some info on the boards to help us all out.

I suppose at the end of the day, what I am looking for is a reasonable unit that has inexpensive bags. 50 cents a bag is not what I would call inexpensive, and is about the price I am seeing from most suppliers. Something around 25 cents would be more in keeping with what I think is reasonable for a plastic bag.

The units do seem like they can all take the standard rolls, but because Sunbeam have ribbed, I have reservations about buying bags or rolls that are not recommended, because if they do not work properly, I will blow my money. Otherwise one of these 25kg rolls for $170.00 sounds really cheap. Though even that is a guess as it is measured in weight rather than length, so cannot calculate the effective cost per bag.

Phil, I still don't get why you are asking after some of the rolls, as they are not ribbed. Are you saying that you do not actually have to use ribbed bags in the Sunbeams? Can you use any bag in any machine? If this is a yes, then everything gets a lot clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by dbates View Post
    My name is Darren and i am a new member user name dbates, Flexible packaging, sealing equipment, Plastic bags and rolls, and vacuum packaging is my game, please take a look at our website and give me a call and I will be able to help you out.

www.redblade.com.au Phone Darren (07) 32622344 regards, Darren
    Hi Darren, thanks for comming to fix our shrink wrap machine today. We are very happy your service and thanks to Ausfish. Without your posting we wouldnt have had a clue who to contact and would be still not using our shrink wrap machine at work. See you out on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    Darren, I was wondering if you could add some info on the boards to help us all out.

I suppose at the end of the day, what I am looking for is a reasonable unit that has inexpensive bags. 50 cents a bag is not what I would call inexpensive, and is about the price I am seeing from most suppliers. Something around 25 cents would be more in keeping with what I think is reasonable for a plastic bag.

The units do seem like they can all take the standard rolls, but because Sunbeam have ribbed, I have reservations about buying bags or rolls that are not recommended, because if they do not work properly, I will blow my money. Otherwise one of these 25kg rolls for $170.00 sounds really cheap. Though even that is a guess as it is measured in weight rather than length, so cannot calculate the effective cost per bag.

Phil, I still don't get why you are asking after some of the rolls, as they are not ribbed. Are you saying that you do not actually have to use ribbed bags in the Sunbeams? Can you use any bag in any machine? If this is a yes, then everything gets a lot clearer.
    Hi Cheech and All,

First of all these small domestic vacuum sealers all need to use a special ribbed bag or roll system, as they need to suck the air out of the bag using the ribs to slightly hold the bag apart when its in the seal jaws, it then heats the element and inturn its melts the ribs and the rest of the seal area to seal a flat join.

Also you cannot just use Polyethylene Rolls which is what I suggest the 25kg roll @$170.00 is, (mind you I could do this same product at better price than this), Plain Polyethylene is not a laminated product (Rolls or Bags) and will bleed air back into it, it also won’t have the required ribs to allow the domestic vacuum sealers to suck the air out.

There are special Cryovac vacuum bags for this that are a lot cheaper than the ribbed system BUT you require a Proper Vacuum (Cryovac) machine to use these as the air ins not sucked out of these bags it is forced out by the vacuum created in the chamber before it seals the bag, these machines are not cheap "$2500.00 +" .

On a last note food grade Polyethylene bags (Which we Make) can be used to package your fish and sealed in a sealer (which we also Sell) but not vacuumed, this will only pack you fillets not prolong its shelf life.

If you are after the correct bags or rolls for the sunbeam style domestic machines you can get them from me, please phone me, I sell the quality Italian material costs are below, please note these costs are current as at 21/07/2008 and may change as the costs of resins to make this material keeps rising.

Vacuum bags:
    200mm x 300mm x 50 per Pack $35.15 + GST
    300mm x 400mm x 50 per Pack $43.05 + GST

Vacuum Rolls:
    200mm x 6mt $21.95 + GST
    300mm x 6mt $25.95 + GST

I hope this clears up most of the questions, if you or anyone wishes to discuss more please fell free to phone me during business hours on 0416 213841

Regards: Darren
    www.redblade.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Darren - great post. I have an Ezivac (excellent product) and the bag roll is getting low so will check out your offer over the coming days - what are shipping costs to Townsville of a couple of 300mm rolls?

I prefer rolls as I can get exactly the size I need. I never reuse as the cost per bag is cheap when added to 0.5 - 1kg of quality fish fillet.

Wink Re: Vacuum Sealers. which have cheap bags?

Hi Whiteman, and anyone else interested

Please give me a ring with you address details and a contact numbers as I will have to work out the postage costs, and payment details, also you can email me at work,

Kind Regards; Darren

Very much appreciated Darren. This is what was never clear. Now I know what I need to look for in bag type, and material.

For info, Myer have the Sunbeam Vacuum Sealer on special at the moment for $179. I only just found it in their current catalogue but the special ends tomorrow though.

Cheers

Dave

Hi all

I have had my sunbeam for quite awhile now and remeber this same question being asked-- Cheap bags.
    This is my solution:
    Go to supermarket and buy those resealable bags-- available in s-m-large.
    I use one inside the other and cut the seal part off. Find this works really well and costs alot less than the brand rolls.
    I use these bags for almost everything I vac seal, only occassionally using the proper bags.

I also use my vac seal for bait-- pillies etc and it seems more logical to use cheaper bags than the ones supplied with the unit.

Give it a go-- what have you got to loose-- about $2-50 for a pack of 15-50 bags.

Ronnie

Ronnie, I thought that the above posts established that you had to use ribbed bags on all the domestic machines. So you find you can successfully use non ribbed?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    Ronnie, I thought that the above posts established that you had to use ribbed bags on all the domestic machines. So you find you can successfully use non ribbed?

Yep
    I use two bags as i said-- one inside the other to give the thickness. I think it is more to do with thickness than ribbing. I also cut the seal part off-- any of those resealable bags will do-- glad, or the cheap brands.
    Experiment with them as you will have the process down pat in no time. You might have a few failures but practice makes perfect!!!!!!

Better to use cheap bags for bait????

Ronnie

Wink Re: Vacuum Sealers. which have cheap bags?

Hi to all again, I thought I would revisit this post to see how it was going.

I have had a lot of phone calls from members, many which have purchased from us a quality domestic VAC329 machine, bags and rolls aswell, (Please see our website, www.redblade.com.au & go to sealing equipment).

It seems most of you now understand the correct process, and the fact that standard plastic bags, plain or re-sealable, despite the thickness of the bag, DO NOT really work and will not hold a vacuum for any period of time and will not truely vacuum your items and will not really help extend life, if it was all that simple and as cheap as a plain plastic bag, re-sealable or not, don't you think your butcher or fisho would use them instead of paying much more for the Cryovac vacuum bags.

To sum it all again, you need the correct bags to do the job & a good machine aswell, please don't hesitate to give me a ring (Business hours please 0416 213841), or have a look at our website, www.redblade.com.au I'm only to pleased to help fellow fishermen out..

Regards; Darren