Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kamikaze fly gear

Re: kamikaze fly gear

thats the line im useing to, it dose the job, and im not to scard to cast it on grass or over oysters and stuff because it cost me bugger all. good to start out with. if ya do lash out, iv hurd from a few guys that the new s,a shark skin fly line is the ducks guts. o yer again stay away from the blue water fly reals, mine busted after 3 small sized barra
    figjam :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    thats the line im useing to, it dose the job, and im not to scard to cast it on grass or over oysters and stuff because it cost me bugger all. good to start out with. if ya do lash out, iv hurd from a few guys that the new s,a shark skin fly line is the ducks guts. o yer again stay away from the blue water fly reals, mine busted after 3 small sized barra
    What about the saratoga rods, am I better off using a broomstick. I liked the name most, togas are my favourite fish

As an aside,
    I own two Saratoga eggbeaters, best reels I've had.
    One for breaming, the other's handled snapper & sharks (easily). About $90 for the both of them from an online auction site. Have n't used their rods but..
    Having flyfished in Zimbabwe, South Africa, UK and Canada and experienced a wide variety of combinations of tackle it is my opinion that sometimes a combo just 'works'. One of the best fly combos I've used, I found out was a Canadian Tyre (like Supa Cheap Auto but with fishing & hunting gear) home brand rod and cheap Daiwa reel. The rod was cheap as: bent wire guides... plastic reel seat... but the action was amazing!!
    I've not used another #10 rod like that since.
    Just goes to show, the matching components are what make the combo, and quality is sometimes available from lower-end-of-the-market brands.
    Just my opinion ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisho View Post
    One of my students (Basskid a forum member) can easily punch out 80- 90 feet in a fishing situation with a cheap rod, .
    can will realy cast that far criss, i did not belive him when he told me he's getting 80 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Colo77 View Post
    What about the saratoga rods, am I better off using a broomstick. I liked the name most, togas are my favourite fish
    ig never get a saratoga rog again but will gladly get a nother kami. i got my first saratoga rod and the blank was not even strait, i sent it back and got a nother one, and it snaped wile i was trying to cast it. it snaped 2 feet from the tip and it was not dew to me being stupid with it. go the kamikaze
    figjam :wink:

the reel can be cheap as buy any real you wont its only realy for storage but do buy a good rod and line will make the world of difference

Ok here's my 2 bobs worth! I've been fly fishing for some 30yrs and have cast everything from El Cheapos to Sage, Loomis, TFO aah the list goes on. But wait I still own a couple of really cheap rods which I let my kids useand keep for visitors who I teach, no problems. Those Kamakazi's are not great, but a whole lot better than some others out there. If you can afford to - go better, if not just get it but put a decent line on it. It is surprising how this will make a world of difference to and average rod .

Most of all DON'T WAIT, Buy a Rod (Any Rod) Reel and some decent line and get out Fly Fishing. You'll LOVE IT and you next post will be about tying Flies. Now there's a can of worms to look forward to.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jim_bream View Post
    As an aside,
    I own two Saratoga eggbeaters, best reels I've had.
    One for breaming, the other's handled snapper & sharks (easily). About $90 for the both of them from an online auction site. Have n't used their rods but..
    Having flyfished in Zimbabwe, South Africa, UK and Canada and experienced a wide variety of combinations of tackle it is my opinion that sometimes a combo just 'works'. One of the best fly combos I've used, I found out was a Canadian Tyre (like Supa Cheap Auto but with fishing & hunting gear) home brand rod and cheap Daiwa reel. The rod was cheap as: bent wire guides... plastic reel seat... but the action was amazing!!
    I've not used another #10 rod like that since.
    Just goes to show, the matching components are what make the combo, and quality is sometimes available from lower-end-of-the-market brands.
    Just my opinion ;-)
    saratoga hay ive returned 3 odd rods and 4 reels.bent rod blanks,machine marks and swaff left on aluminium components (reels) had a rotor fall off txn reel (eggy)
    2 snapped 12lb spinning rods etc
    good luck with the gear.dont push it real hard
    Cheers
    Reidy

i bought a set up off ebay all seperate paid 1.50 for the fly reel 20.00 for the rod and 7.00 for the flyline cheap rig but works well rod is a graphite job and finished off well will try it out when season starts and ill let you know how it goes coop