Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rubber Frogs for Barra

Re: Rubber Frogs for Barra

barrakid, a cousin of mine who lives at townsville has been doing that for ages that is a well known method he fishes the weirs up there and catches fish like that. i think he use squidgy fish as well as slick rigs but he takes the head out and uses wormhooks. still a bit different to the frogs but the same sort of i spose.
    purcho

yer it works with everything really wriggler tails (not as well tho) I believe with this style it isn't really the lure it is the amount of vibration and the V ripple it puts out.I mostly fished hardbodies this summer but always like this style you can see the wake from the fish following it.
    It is the same as in the movie but with a squidgy fish it is a old style but jas is just bringing it back with a old lure (horny toad) and a new lure (boof frog) which i think is going to sell out very quickly and it is the bast time to bring it out in winter when the fish will be in the shellows where the lure should be used.
    I agree with the amout of frogs that are going to be bought and not used in the right area but the monduran and awonga barra are going to see more frogs then ever

cheers BK

Noted the mention of a squidgey used at night but what about frogs? Anyone tried them after sundown, was it successful, need to know half baking a plan over here

This is a quote from jason it was on the abt barra website.
    “There was little difference when it came to night and day and the number of hits that we got”, explained Wilhelm.

“There was however a difference in the size of the fish, with all the big ones coming during daylight hours”, he added.
    purcho

They would work just as well i would think.
    I remember (i think) jas said somthing about" he likes to fish day because he can read the water well and not so good at night"and if you know where to go at night you will have a good chance.

Oww another way i have found out is if you are fishing a dam with lilles don't be sceared to cast strait onto the lillies i have hooked barra while it is skipping over the lillies and just as it comes of the lillies.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    What TwItCH!!!
    A finger impediment

Well I gave some Zoom Horny Toads a go for the first time today up at Teemburra Dam and although i didnt land anything i was quite impressed. I dropped two fish, one that would have been around the 80cm mark and another one which i think would have topped the ton. All from cranking ones of these littel suckers (in white) over the surface of the water.

Can't wait for summer and some warmer water to really give these toads a good workout.

Richard

Just bare in mind for Ausfisher's going to have their first crack at Barra that soft plastics and frogs are not the be all end all but another OPTION......remember the old faithfuls can and do still catch Barra.......Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

wow guys,
    u all have given some great info on here for new starters, and that is great to see. Thanks to all for there positive input. Lydon u have to careful there with those pic, people could get the wrong idea u are genetically enhancing lures, there really did look like some interesting combination's there lol. But that is how u have to do it , think outside the box not what tackle shops and dvds always promote. Sometimes the smallest change can make all the differnce , from a lure change to a rod twich on the day. Again to all that have put info cheers makes good reading
    cheers shaneoo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well I gave some Zoom Horny Toads a go for the first time today up at Teemburra Dam and although i didnt land anything i was quite impressed. I dropped two fish, one that would have been around the 80cm mark and another one which i think would have topped the ton. All from cranking ones of these littel suckers (in white) over the surface of the water.

Can't wait for summer and some warmer water to really give these toads a good workout.

Richard
    Thanks for putting that up Richard ......... apparently Teemburra is renowned for its warmer months surface bite ....... so thats a positive on the toads specially during the cooler months

Cheers

Nagg
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

i think when these frogs are on sale , they will catch more fisherman than fish ,marketing hype , its easy to sit down and watch a 30 minute video and think ,sh*t those frogs work good , but they don't show ya they were there filming for 3 or 4 days to get that 30 minutes of sh*t hot action , he who works hardest will catch the most fish

Quote Originally Posted by cod muncher View Post
    he who works hardest will catch the most fish
    That would have to be one of the silliest statements I think I have ever seen.

I believe sometimes we look to far into things and try to hard to further our thinking about these fish. We can overlook the most noticeable patterns and vital info when we do this, thus why some of us lose out. Barra fishing is incredibly complex, but keeping things as simple and as well thought out as possible is top priority in my Boat. When you get too far ahead of yourself in differeing situations, you are only making it harder for yourself - why I don't like your statement (think you could have put it much better). Anglers that work hard physically (a.k.a chucking Lures nonstop in a bid to outwork a fish) fail also.

You are right however about these new Toads luring more anglers then fish. The amount of newborn anglers that have gone out and got Jasons segment of him and Shannon landing all those fish at Awoonga, on Toads, in the heat of the day have no doubt gone ahead and brought themselves many packs of different Frogs/Toads to try. Good on em' for doing so... some know what they are doing, the rest are just there to chuck a toad and pray that a silver sided slab of fatness smashes their Lure. Its an exciting way of fishing, that good fishermen would only consider using when the time is right. Fishing surface Lures requires a totally different mindset and thinking, but most importantly it comes down to timing - this is coming from someone who has landed more fish (meteries) on Surface lures then any other Lure. There is a delicate line here between fishing effectively and absolutely wasting your time.

Theo
    TT

Old post rebump, but I just watched IFish on tv today and they were at Monduran using the new Squidgy Boof Frog as mentioned earlier in this thread. They cleaned up, caught 6 or 7 monsters in one session in the shallows including a 60lb specimen. Frogs definately work, will be purchasing a decent barra spin stick and spooling the certate 3500 with 30lb braid for chucking frogs on my next trip to Monduran in January.

Mitch