Thread: jew on pillies

jew on pillies

have you ever caught a jew on a ganged pillie? does'nt sound very appetising to me but is it worth trying when you cant get live baits?
    any help appreciated
    cheers,
    zak job lo

Re: jew on pillies

No Mate, neve caught a jew on a ganged pillie. Livies are the go but it depends where you are fishing. I have had got success for jew in the Clarence River (Northern NSW) on plastics and off Shark Bay (Iluka) surf fishing with whole squid. Anyway if you don't catch a jew on the pillie, you're sure to get something else.

mate, ive heard about it but never done it(not much help really am i?)

Hey, I agree with coldstream. But if you cant get them than why not try a pillie? Good luck.
    Coldstream: What plastics do you find the best fopr jewies? what weight do you use?

Cheers

G'day Zak

Used to catch heaps off the beach and rocks on gang hook pillies on the NSW north coast. Mainly around the 6-10kg mark. Livies are the go if you want to catch a trophy jew though.

Cheers

Mick

Yes I've caught plenty of jew on pillies when I couldn't get large squid or pike, my preferred baits. When you're night fishing off the rocks the rubbish fish that will destroy a pilly in daylight seem to disappear so the pilly will last a lot longer while you wait for the jew to come along. Don't forget that big slabs of mullet, tailor or luderick fillets are also prime jew baits.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Hi Zak ....... The humble old pillie certainly catches jew
    I used to fish offshore for jew - off Broken Bay (Sydney) I would spend a couple of hours trying to secure slimies , yakkas & the odd Squid ...... & I did it 3 or 4 times a month for evening sessions during full moon periods!
    One day .... I took my brother out ( a novice fishoe) who rather than put out one of the precious livies ..... put down a whole pilchard & started to get hits ( but missed them) ! Having seen the damage to the pilchard , I decided to use 2/3rds of a pillie & I started to feel bites that felt more like Tailor than anything else ........ Well not too long after I boated a reasonable jew & we quickly followed it up with a couple more.
    To cut a long story short for the next couple of years that I fished this spot for jew ...... I concentrated less time on catching livies / squid ..... & just pretty well stuck to pillies ..... with great success!( school jew 8-20lb)

Now having said that ....... pilchards had little success (if any) at other destinations that I fished for jews ....... Fresh / live squid ruled .... at most offshore spots & mullet / Tailor in the estuaries ......... GO FIGURE!!!

Nagg

Its always worth a try mate. We've hooked jew on all manner of baits, live prawns, mullet, old prawns, pillies, white pillies, mullet gut and so on. But if you really want to up the ante, then live mullet are the absolute be all and end all. And make sure you're fishing a tide change or VERY tight in deep water structure if the tide is running.

G'day Moorie86, re jew on plastics I use between 1/8 - 1/4 oz jig head depending on the run in the water as I very rarely fish more than 5-8m. Size - 4"or 5" on a 5/0 and as I fish for them in dull light the lumo white Gulp jerk bait is my favourite weapon. I have caught them up to about 10kg on this rig but for the really big jew live mullett or Gar are the go. This of course is based only on my experience in the Clarence River. I have heard of good school Jew being caught in the Brisbane River around the Gateway. Hope this helps. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there much more capable of explaining the art of jew on plastics.