Thread: Lake Wivenhoe Kayak & Canoe Fishing Convention

Thumbs up Lake Wivenhoe Kayak & Canoe Fishing Convention

Lake Wivenhoe Kayak & Canoe Fishing Convention

In Excess of $6000 in Prizes

Hosted by the Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assn
    Competition Organiser – Garry Fitzgerald

With the ever increasing popularity of sweet water fishing in the recent years there are more and more folks that are getting into chasing everything from bass to barra on our stocked lakes. At the same pace the popularity of kayaking and canoeing has seen many folks get onto the water to either just enjoy the outdoors or to chase a fish. This in mind, it was only a matter of time before someone put two and two together to make an event just for the kayak anglers on one of our sweet water lakes. Well now someone has and they chosen one of the best bass lakes going to hold it. Lake Wivenhoe is home to some of the biggest bass in Queensland, breaking previous BASS Electric records for biggest ever caught.

Fishing
    The concept is a catch > photograph > release with prizes being awarded for length.
    This will see anglers not needing to bring their catch back alive to a weigh-in station, simply catch your fish, take a photo of your fish on a measuring mat (with your entry card in the photo) and release the fish.

The competition is very non-restrictive and is open to anyone with a canoe or kayak.
    This includes peddle, paddle, electric motor or sail power assisted canoes or kayaks (catamaran’s & sailing boats not permitted).
    Fishing styles permitted are cast and retrieve or trolling of lure / fly with only one rod permitted to be used at a time.

When
    The timing could not be better.
    Lake Wivenhoe fishes at its best from April through to October.
    Being held in September the Wivenhoe Kayak & Canoe Fishing Convention is sure to see the fishing at its best.
    The timing also coincides with the end of the ABT tournament season.
    The good folks at ABT have given a Wild Card Entry to their BASS Electric Convention which will be held on 27/28 of September at Lake Boondooma.

An event like this will be must attend for many kayakers, as much for the get together and the location as much as anything else.
    However there are some great prizes on offer. At only $30 entry this is a very affordable event.

Access
    As many regular Lake Wivenhoe anglers would know, the fish can be spread out in the lake and many have a favourite spot.
    To assist in accessing the main basin for this event only, the South East Qld Water Board are opening a special access point towards the front of the lake for competitors only.
    While this special access is available it is not compulsory to launch here, competitors can still launch at Logan’s Inlet and fish from there.

Camping
    Camping is available Captain Logan Camp and Lumley Hill.
    These are both within the Logans Complex.
    Please telephone 07 54264729 to book a site if required.
    Fees for camping per site per night are $12.50 (1-2 people), $25.00 (3-4 people)
    Additional persons $5 per person per night.
    Powered site – additional $5 / night.

Committed Sponsors
    Fishing Monthly Group www.fishingmonthly.com.au
    Egrell Designs - Custom Fishing Rods by Eric Grell www.egrell.com.au
    Penn Reels
    Somerset Regional Council www.somerset.qld.gov.au
    SEQWater www.seqwater.com.au
    BLA visit www.bla.com.au or visit some of their proprietry brand websites below
    Humminbird - www.humminbird.com.au
    Minn Kota Motors - http://minnkota.com.au
    Ocean Kayak - http://ocean-kayak.com.au/
    Old Town Canoes - http://johnsonoutdoors.co.nz/oldtown

Craft: Canoe or Kayak only, & Paddle, peddle, electric motor or sail only (no catamarans or dedicated sailing boats)
    Fishing style: Cast & retreive or trolling- Lure / Fly only
    Concept: Catch, Photo (on measuring mat) & release.
    Date: September 6 - 7
    Entry fee: $30

Proceeds support fish restocking program www.swfsa.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Further information & discussion HERE

Lake Wivenhoe Information Page
    Last edited by Fitzy; 10-07-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Thumbs up Re: Lake Wivenhoe Kayak & Canoe Fishing Convention

Well done Gary, You've done it again,I suspect Dale and Randall were lurking in the background as well......don't have a paddle powered craft but wanted to acknowledge your efforts....I have fond memories of the old Kirkleah Klassic days and how well it was run.....I know the around the fire rap sessions will be invaluable to the competitors as they will learn so much........Again well done,I know it will be a big success..........Cheers Whitto

Re: Lake Wivenhoe Kayak & Canoe Fishing Convention

hey fitzy,
    sounds like a good w/end, when you say one rod permitted to be used at a time is that per craft or per person ,two fly rods goin at once in a canoe can get a bit messy i know but , just checking if two fishos per canoe = 2 rods..cheers deano.

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    hey fitzy,
    sounds like a good w/end, when you say one rod permitted to be used at a time is that per craft or per person ,two fly rods goin at once in a canoe can get a bit messy i know but , just checking if two fishos per canoe = 2 rods..cheers deano.
    G'Day Deano,

Mate thanks for the reply.

Anglers may carry multiple rods in their craft but may only use one at a time person.
    If there's a two person canoe / kayak then we should only see two lines at a time in the water (one each).

Hope that helps.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Well done Gary, You've done it again,I suspect Dale and Randall were lurking in the background as well......don't have a paddle powered craft but wanted to acknowledge your efforts....I have fond memories of the old Kirkleah Klassic days and how well it was run.....I know the around the fire rap sessions will be invaluable to the competitors as they will learn so much........Again well done,I know it will be a big success..........Cheers Whitto
    G'Day Whitto,

Thanks for your support. Yep, I'm sure those couple of reprobates will definately be lurking around. To be honest, these two fellas are always on hand with any thing that is asked of them, they deserve more accolades than they get.

With a gazzillion comps/tournaments on Somerset these days, the drawcard effect of the Kirkleagh Klassic is diminished. IMHO its days are done (however this is my oppionion only) & will not be run in 2008.

I would like to see it resurected in the future in a new style format designed to cater for all facets of sweetwater fishing; family, kids, sport, elite.... Possibly a Brisbane Valley Fishing Festival encompassing both Somerset, Wivenhoe & the rivers. It will need alot of time, effort & money injected for it to work.

This kayak convention is hopefully the start of bigger & better things. If its a success I'll make it an annual event, possibly a series.

Whitto if you're keen to attend but don't have a yak or canoe, put your hand up for a spare berth. Someone may have a spare they'd be willing to lend you or a spare seat in their 2 seater.

Hope to see you there.

Fitzy..

Update - To work in with sponsors & to work around other events we've brought the date forward to September 6 - 7.

Anyone who has booked a camp site should call SEQWater ranger to transfer.

Appologies for any inconvenience.

Cheers,

Fitz..
    Last edited by Fitzy; 11-07-2008 at 12:14 AM.

It sounds great folks. I will be there plus one.

As we have another arrangement on the night of the 7th could I get an idea of the expected starting times on the Sunday.

We will have around one hours drive to the lower part of the Dam.

Regards Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Have updated the webpage (see in my signature) to include session times.

Session Times
    Saturday 7:00 am to 4:00pm
    Sunday 7:00 am to 12:00 noon

Hope to see you there. :cool:

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Quote Originally Posted by GORDON BRYAN View Post
    It sounds great folks. I will be there plus one.

As we have another arrangement on the night of the 7th could I get an idea of the expected starting times on the Sunday.

We will have around one hours drive to the lower part of the Dam.

Regards Gordon

For anyone who wants to assist in spreading the word on this event, we have a flyer which should print on A4 paper below.

Also Entry Forms are available at the Event Website.

Thumbs up Re: Lake Wivenhoe Kayak & Canoe Fishing Convention

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post

G'Day Whitto,

Mate there's a fellow northsider looking for someone to jump in his canoe with him on sweetwater. Take a look HERE>>>

Cheers,

Fitz..

We're upto 46 entries as of Tuesday night.

Weather is looking good to settle Friday & the big bass & yellowbelly are on the chew out from Logan's Inlet.

Shaping up to be a great weekend.

See you there,

fitzy..

No reports???
    Still sick that I missed the weekend.... Hope you all had a blinder!
    Jimbo