Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breamin Hypothetical

Breamin Hypothetical

Hi Ausfishers & bream gurus

I'm interested to know how you would fish ( lures & SPs) the following scenario
    Attachment 30323

River with stretches of shallows (2-3 ft) ...... with weed pockets that are holding bream ( big bream & lots of them)

Run out tide

Middle of the day

Water is clear & the fish are easily spooked by the boat

So what would you do ???

very interested to hear your thoughts !

Nagg

Re: Breamin Hypothetical

Hey Mate,

I would drift down the middle of the canal casting towards areas were you think the fish could be.

You say that the fish are easily spooked, so an electric motor could be used to keep the boat drifting in the middle or towards structure eg. if you see a good submerged tree.

If you find a spot were the fish are, you could possibly anchor there so that you dont have to keep a motor going to stay in the area.

Im guessing your looking to fish the area so good luck if you do
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Small flickbaits on super light jigheads, Squidgy resin heads are good for this, and cast as far as possible. I have had success in a similar sought area with small squdgy flick baits in slick green and evil minnow but I would think any natural colour would work. Usually working them slowly in the middle of the water column gets the most hits for me.

Terry

if the fish are very spooky there id drop my leading down to 2lb, fish a small surface lure that doesnt create to much disturbance like the smith towadi.
    if there not hitting the towadi id go for a lure that swam just underneeth the surface like a smith camion because it doesnt have to much rattle. (one of the lighter colours or an ecogear mx (in that trout looking colour)
    preferably something a light brown colour to match the colour of the weeds to be as natural as possible and plenty of pauses for the hardbodies.
    a prong on the surface would work good to but i think a sqidgie flick bait in flash prawn would work well on a 1/40 tt hidden wieght head.
    as i 2lb leader about 3m in lenght also long casts would be a must.

oh and i would kill the engine about 30m before i got anywere near were the fish are holdong and use the leccy to get the rest of the way, then when i got there i would try to let the wnd or tide move me accross the flats

I'm with breamnut, great tactics!!!!!

Just side question in the hypothetical if i may.

When you go through/ over the weed and your lure catches some weed do you keep fishing it or do you wind it straight in to deweed?

neil

Quote Originally Posted by HONKY DORY View Post
    Just side question in the hypothetical if i may.

When you go through/ over the weed and your lure catches some weed do you keep fishing it or do you wind it straight in to deweed?

neil

Hey,

If the lure still has its action it is worth retrieving it normally but if its just like pulling in a dead weight that is coming in a straight line i dont reckon many fish would go for it. And you should just "deweed" it straight away.

Its similar to having the trebles hooked onto the main line, its pretty much a waste of time.

Hope that helps
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Good stuff guys!
    As I was doing a little exploring more than anything , I really didn't fish the situation ... except for a few casts with a stiffy!

The area was alive with bream ........ Even drifting through , the fish were pretty flighty ....... but got the old ticker thumpin ( not joking .... but I drifted over a dead high 40cm bream)

The next time I head up there , I'll do it around the top of the tide ...... & give it a crack!
    So do we think HBs over plastics ?
    Also I'm thinking of dropping a plumb bomb anchor ....... so I can effectively fish an area

Nagg

g'day nagg, in this situation i like to use small resin heads on squidgy bugs along the top of the water OR using a resin head or very very light jighead on a squidgy flickbait OR once again using a a squidgy bug and a jighead about 1/32 and keep it moving bouncing the lure along without any pauses. the last technique mentioned work very well at a place down the coast about 4-5 foot deep all rocks on the bottom and i just kept it moving and i got all these bream about 15 in half an hour using this technique they were about 25-28cm fork length. although i did miss a few hits by keeping the lure moving i did have alot of success. for hb's i would use lures like the shirashu minnow as you can keep hopping it through the water coloumn and it looks like a very injured baitfish. but i would probably xtick to towadis' and the like of this. i hope it helps.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Shadows are your friend as the change in light can make it more diificult for the bream to see out of. Make distance your priority. Go a 1/16th ounce jig head and a high density plastic that you can cast a mile something ligh a gulp fry or craw. get it in the back of those shadows from as far away as possible and let it crawl along the bottom. If it is impossible not to spook them then hold in the same spot for a while and let them adjust to the presence of the boat i've used this same tact for skinny water bass fishing in about 2 foot of water from the canoe. Make your movements small, wisper when speaking.

Good luck

Keep the ideas flowing guys ...... Its great to hear how you handle such a difficult situation! ....... good advice is always welcome

Cheers

Nagg

I reckon a bit of detective work is in order first off, like what are they feeding on? can you immitate it with a Plastic? can you access the shore fairly easily? one trick is to sneak up from the shore, cast well out and leave the lure for a bit untill they settle down again, work the lure to suit the Plastic/hard body, use very light line and keep at it untill you have them worked out and your in, if they are feeding in the weed, they may be eating little tiny Prawny things, you will need to find that out first (I reckon anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I reckon a bit of detective work is in order first off, like what are they feeding on? can you immitate it with a Plastic? can you access the shore fairly easily? one trick is to sneak up from the shore, cast well out and leave the lure for a bit untill they settle down again, work the lure to suit the Plastic/hard body, use very light line and keep at it untill you have them worked out and your in, if they are feeding in the weed, they may be eating little tiny Prawny things, you will need to find that out first (I reckon anyway)
    Or are they just using the weed for cover ( out of the main current flow) ..... Not sure because there is some nice rocks on the edge they could hide around

I think a good move would be to stop ...... anchor & let things settle!
    Long casts with something like a bug (2-4lb FC leaders) ...... slow rolled over the weed!

When I do have a go ....... I bet I'll be frustrated

Nagg

What about land based can you sit your boat up on land before you get to where the bream are then just walk over there quitly.
    A electric still makes noise and in clear shellow water the slightest noise can disturb them.
    I presume it would be like barra fishing be as quiet as possible,walk softly on your decks,long casts,make sure boat doesn't hit bottom etc.
    I would be giving a surface lure a go first just not a popper or anything that puts out decent splashes i would go for a walk the dog lure or a lighly weighted plastic.
    Thats the fun thing about trying new places you got to find out what works

good luck

BK

How fast does the tide run there, i would say they are using the weed for a food source rather than cover. Like Noelm suggested they are probably eating the little shrimp and fish hidding in te weed and using the higher flow to help dislodge them from the weed rather than using it for shelter themselves. another thing that just came to mind is approach from the down current side so the fish are facing the other direction and so you don't get accidently swept into unspoilt water.