Thread: Kayak Motors

Kayak Motors

Hi All,

What advise / details / price etc. does anyone have for motors for Ocean Prowler Kayak boats for ocean Kayaking used in conjunction with foot pedals etc?

I was thinking it would be handy for trolling etc. or if you got tired?

Thoughts.

Best Regards

Chris.

Re: Kayak Motors

If you are going to that amount of trouble it might be worth looking into a Minn-Kota thruster 12v motor. I believe you would attach it to a rudder system and throw a small deep cycle battery in board somewhere. It should not be difficult to setup on a kayak.

Jack.

Hey Chris,
    Check out the pics on www.vikingkayaks.com.au under fishing kayaks to have a look at their motor set up.
    We've got 28lb thrust Minn Kotas on the back of our Profish's and I love them. Having said that we do get out and about without the motors (especially in the rapid country because they're a pain in the butt to lift before you go through the rapids and then you've got to get them back down again. Only way of doing that is by getting out of the yak)
    I prefer to paddle whenever possible though the motors are a pretty cruisey old way to go especially around the dams.

PS. Alex at Viking cuts down the shaft of the Minn Kotas to make them more suitable for the yaks
    Last edited by LeeannP; 14-07-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: additional info

G'Day Chris.

At this time there is no "off the shelf" motor system for the Ocean Kayaks in Australia.

You could look at the following thread for ideas on how to retrofit an electric to a yak. He's done a great job!!
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/...pic,476.0.html

Minn Kota are just bringing out a couple of short shaft version specifically designed for use on kayaks / canoes.

Are slightly dearer than the standard model.

Check with your local dealer for specific prices / availability.

Cheers,

Fitz..
    Last edited by Fitzy; 21-07-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Hi,

don't make a decision on purchase until you check out the Stealth Drive.
    I think this is one of the few motors made especially for Kayaks.
    No modifications, no retofitting, just a pure dedicated Kayak motor.

http://www.stealthdrive.co.nz/index.html

Attaches directly to the rudder.

I was looking at Minkotas but they cause the Kayak to be a little unstable.
    Best to keep the Centre of Gravity as low as possible.

I just purchased one and is due to arrive any day. This has been 12 months in the planning.

Apparently they are gaining in popularity.