Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cal's light weight drag grease.

Re: Cal's light weight drag grease.

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    A few thoughts of Hot sauce users off US forums.

"I have used the hot sauce oil and grease for a year or two with no problems. After reading these post (and using up the hot sauce) I switched back to Shimano oil and grease.
    ReelMech".

"The Quantum Hot Sauce has worked well for me, but it is has a low viscosity and will require you to flush and relube fairly frequently, especially on the bearings related to the spool shaft that see the most use and the most rpm's. I flush and relube about every 6 weeks".

"Quantum hot sauce is a good product, but it tends to wear off in a shorter period of time than other oils. It's more viscous, and therefore is easily displaced after it has been worn down a little. If you have a little reel grease, I would take a seperate container, and mix a SMALL amount of grease with the hot sauce. The mixture should be something close to 15:1 ratio, hot sauce to grease. This will thicken up the base, and give you more longevity out of the lubricant".

"Not sure really. I do know that Hot Sauce can eat seals in other reels. There was the infamous "bleeding Van Staals" incident. A few Van Staals came into the shop spitting up red Hot Sauce. Apparently someone in Tulsa thought it would be smart to fill the crankcase of the VS with Hot Sauce and it ate the rubber seals resulting in the reels leaking red fluid out all over the place".

"What I like about it best is the applicator. A pinpoint dispenser that allows precise applications. (One drop is enough usually.) Also, it's RED, so you can see it better. According to Quantum, this stuff forms a molecularly bond with the metal. Quantum claims a 30% increase in casting difference on bait-cast reels. I wouldn't go quite that far, but I did notice a better performing reel on a LONG day of [COLOR=#339933! important][COLOR=#339933! important]fishing[/color][/color]. How long? Let's just say I won't be needing a tanning salon".

"Loosen the adjustment cap until it no longer contacts the spool and see if the noise stops-I expect it will. If it stops, then the problem may be that you had it too tight (the adjustment is very sensitive) or needs lube. Comments from one of our reel experts indicates that hot sauce is not all it's cracked up to be and the Quantum needs more lube more often than many reels".

"You can try it i would'nt but lay your reels out on towels in a VERY open space keep ziplock bags to put the little bits in get some reel oil and grease i like Quantum hot sauce. Grease on gears oil on everything else remember less is more".

"There's the problem, Hot Sauce has never been a good oil to lube the spool support bearings with. I recommend that you re-clean all of your reels spool support bearings and re-lube with one drop each of a QUALITY bearing oil (like the one Abu provided), should take care of the lack of free spooling abilities....The ReelMech
    As with any product there are going to be those that like it and those that don't. I did a lot of reading and scoured many us forums to get as much info as i could. Most reports actually seems very very positive with quiet a few reel mechanics recommending and using the product exclusively. The general consensus i got was that it actually improved the smoothness of most reels be it shimano, diawa, quantum or whatever. Most claims against it seemed due to misuse (ie filling van staal crank cases with it) or had other underlying factors like lack of reel maintenance etc etc. I think at one stage even shimano was also trying to blame hot sauce for destroying there gears because it was suppose to have a polishing compound in it (which it doesn't). Also most of the above problems seems to be with the hot sauce oil not the grease. The oil is very low viscosity which is great but it does have to be applied fairly regularly, say ever 2 months. I don't see this as a problem as it really should be part of most peoples reel maintenance program in fact after ever couple of trips i will add a drop of oil here and there to keep things working properly. Apart from that I have been using it for a while now and haven't had any negative issues. Yes, i do open up my reels and grease gears and oil bearings fairly regularly (3 to 4 times a year) but thats not to say that most of them don't live a pretty harsh life. I have used shimano grease before and found it very good but at the moment my preference is for the hotsauce. Anyway, Its pretty cheap stuff, Its worth getting yourself a tube and trying it to see what you think.
    Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    As with any product there are going to be those that like it and those that don't. I did a lot of reading and scoured many us forums to get as much info as i could. Most reports actually seems very very positive with quiet a few reel mechanics recommending and using the product exclusively. The general consensus i got was that it actually improved the smoothness of most reels be it shimano, diawa, quantum or whatever. Most claims against it seemed due to misuse (ie filling van staal crank cases with it) or had other underlying factors like lack of reel maintenance etc etc. I think at one stage even shimano was also trying to blame hot sauce for destroying there gears because it was suppose to have a polishing compound in it (which it doesn't). Also most of the above problems seems to be with the hot sauce oil not the grease. The oil is very low viscosity which is great but it does have to be applied fairly regularly, say ever 2 months. I don't see this as a problem as it really should be part of most peoples reel maintenance program in fact after ever couple of trips i will add a drop of oil here and there to keep things working properly. Apart from that I have been using it for a while now and haven't had any negative issues. Yes, i do open up my reels and grease gears and oil bearings fairly regularly (3 to 4 times a year) but thats not to say that most of them don't live a pretty harsh life. I have used shimano grease before and found it very good but at the moment my preference is for the hotsauce. Anyway, Its pretty cheap stuff, Its worth getting yourself a tube and trying it to see what you think.
    Cheers Chris
    What is your take on it as a drag grease and is it available localy in this country?

I have 2 quantum energy pti's and they both come with there drag washers lubed with the hotsauce grease. I assume all of the quantum range does. It seems to works grood as a drag grease. However most of my reels have jack erskine smoothie washers in them (usually the first thing i do to a new reel purchased) on which i have continued to lightly smear some of the cals grease on (probably more just out of habit). Im not sure it its available locally but can be bought for around $11 AUD delivered off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quantum-Hot-Sauc...2em118Q2el1247

Fish Head at Victoria Point has it in stock, saw it there the other day.