Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Experts Please .....

Engine Experts Please .....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mariner-60-Ho...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=002

Hey Guys (& Gals)

We have this motor on our boat (without tilt/trim). My husband recently found these 2 on ebay ... one practically new condition, one much more 'loved'

Does anyone have an idea what either of these engines would be worth as I don't want to blindly bid.

Thanks Heaps
    Sharen
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!
    ..... Love My Haines Hunter .....

Re: Engine Experts Please .....

i haven't got a clue what the motors are worth but i have delt with the guy selling the "much more 'loved' " motor and found him to be fairly straight up, and good to deal with , he lives at Caboolture , if your interested PM me and i can give you his name and number

These engines are getting on in age and were built by Yamaha but sold in Australia under a 10 yr agreement via Mercury. These models ran from 1971-1981.

Be warned that parts for these engines can be extremely expensive.

2K sounds dear to me for a non power trim model. Regardless of it being near new its still between 27 and 37 yrs old.

Cheers

Avoid them like the plague Flip. They are old engines with old metals and old wiring and old switches with limited parts available because they are old. Better to save your money for a while and buy a newer motor.

Thanks Everyone for your responses and individual opinions ... I really appreciate you taking the time to post.

The engine we have is a 60hp Mariner (exactly like the newer model advertised) and appears to go really well (only taken it out a couple of times) - the tilt & trim is the issue with me being new to boating & worried about coming into boat ramps, banks etc. without hitting it (too heavy for me to lift)

We were considering just going and buying a new motor for it but at 14ft (runabout) I think I'll want a bigger boat sooner rather than later and don't want to have a new motor that's too small for a bigger boat if that makes any sense??

The other option was to find a tilt system for this engine but we were told we'd be up for around $1000 ?????

Gawd there is so much to learn and difficult to know which 'expert' to believe - they all seem to have such varied advice which is why I thought I'd ask here.
    Glad I found this site ...
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!

Seeing that the one with TNT, is only at $150. I think you have a really good chance that it will end at alot lower price than you think, and if you do get it at a good price + shipping at $300??? then you could just pull the TNT off that motor and fit it to your engine and re-sell the one ya won, if your able to pick up motor you'll save heaps good luck and happy bidding

Quote Originally Posted by dreemon View Post
    Seeing that the one with TNT, is only at $150. I think you have a really good chance that it will end at alot lower price than you think, and if you do get it at a good price + shipping at $300??? then you could just pull the TNT off that motor and fit it to your engine and re-sell the one ya won, if your able to pick up motor you'll save heaps good luck and happy bidding
    This is what we are hoping ... hubby is bidding on this one now but it hasn't hit his highest bid yet so no bumping us up ok !! hahahahaha
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!

I'm with dreedon.
    If your haveing trouble lifting your motor which you are happy with, go the cheaper one and steal the parts you need. then you have then two options, keep it for spares (if they are rare its could be a good idea to have a whole spare motor). or sell it and try and recoop some moneys.

It amazes me how some people say things about things they have never seen before. My father inlaw had people telling him to use his old merc motor as an anchor. with a little ltc the thing runs as good as my 05mod merc. Actually it starts easier than mine.
    if you require a motor for parts i would go for it. How would you feel whilst saveng your money you were lifting your old motor up and you done your back in. When for around 500 bucks you could have a whole spare motor and TNT on yours. Also not a bad selling point when you go and sell the rig "whole spare motor"

neil

Cheers - just showed my hubby your comments and he agrees with you dreemon and honky dory ....

Gonna try and get the older one, rip the TNT off for my motor, and keep the other for spare parts. Thanks for throwing ideas around. Appreciated

This boating/fishing idea is starting to get VERY addictive !! '(shhhh don't tell the old man but I've even picked out my new boat when I win lotto ... nothing over the top ... the Quintrex 530 Bowrider with the mercruiser. Should be a good little all rounder for the family)
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!

These motors are the FO60 made 1983 to 1986 version .I can tell that from the decal.They were well built as no matter how sick these get they will get you back to the ramp.The dearer one still looks new and even at $3000 it would be a good buy.
    I have had one for quite a few years and do all my own repairs as they are easy to work on and the dealers can repair them fairly fast too as there’s not much to them..

I don't think your correct there Spears. The 10 yr agreement with Mercury ended in 1981 and from 1982/83 Yamaha appeared on the Austrailan market under their own name and handled directly by Yamaha instead of the Mariner name and handled by Mercury.

In the mid-late 70's Mercury were using that decal you mention on their Mercury built engines that wore Mariner decals. Yamaha's engines went to 60hp from memory and Mercury labeled their own Merc engines as Mariners to complete the Mariner "line up" whilst also running a full range of Mercury engines.

A bit like Evinrude and Johnson basically. These engines have been the same engine for 40+ yrs just with different colours.

Most dealers in Melbourne don't want to touch them from a servicing perspective.

Cheers

Every time I ask for a part they ask me for serial number and say it’s a mariner/yamaha made between 83-86 and looks the same as that picture on e-bay

So Spears, you have an older mariner/yamy, when you get parts they are yamy, how do find the prices? I've got a 91 40hp mariner, and I pay yamy prices, a bit dear, but anyone that has a yamy pays that same price aswell, the things I've heard/read about the older mariners is that there strong, bullet proof, reliable and as you said easy to work on and always gets you back to the ramp even if its sick, up here at Gold coast I have never found anyone to refuse to work on my engine. mine has never left me rowing.

IMO .... a worthy engine
    Honky dory, your a sensible man.

that there strong, bullet proof, reliable and as you said easy to work on
    SPOT ON DREEMON
    When it comes to parts i've had no problems and prices are what they want and i have to pay that or make my own

Thanks Guys ...

We were told ours was an 83' or an 85' but who knows really ????

At the end of the day it goes and my hubby is an Electronics Engineer for Boeing so fingers crossed he can fix any wiring/switch problems (or I'm in friggin trouble .. hahaha) just not a boating expert .. at least he does know something about boating unlike complete novice me ...

I have tried to attach a piccy of mine
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!