Thread: Townsville Freshwater options

Townsville Freshwater options

After having the boat off the water for a couple of weeks, getting a bit desperate for a fish. Was looking at heading out for a bit of sweetwater luring somewhere near to Townsville with the boss. After somewhere RELATIVELY close to Townsville (an hour or so either way), that is a fairly easy day fishing. Somewhere that isn’t going to be too busy, chance of getting some sooties etc on lures, bit of nice scenery, nice drive etc. Don’t want to be having to work too hard to get there or back. Any advice would be muchly appreciated! Not after ‘secret’ spots, just a general area to start looking for a nice drive with the boss with the chance of a couple of fish.

Dan

Re: Townsville Freshwater options

You could try Macrossin. Just head to Charters Towers. Just before you go over Macrossin bridge (over the Burdekin) there is a camping area to the left. Park in there and take a walk downstream. Look for the deeper holes. I have not been there for a while, but always get a sootie or two. Fishability depends a lot on the water level. You may need to wade a bit.

Mal

Cheers mal.

Dan, I would suggest talking to Dave (aka Alchemy) and Nic (aka Nic), I reckon they'd be able to give you a swag of options.

Cheers, Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by vinny78 View Post
    Dan, I would suggest talking to Dave (aka Alchemy) and Nic (aka Nic), I reckon they'd be able to give you a swag of options.

Cheers, Andrew
    Geez Andrew, I reckon I've learnt more about the NQ sweetwater creek options from you than any other source.

Dan,

Nic and I have found there aren't any real spot 'Xs' as there are out in the salt. Sure, we've found a couple of spots that are a bit out of the way, but the majority of our sweetwater fish have come from exploring. Anything from under an hour from Townsville to three hours up around the Tully area. To date we have only explored north and west.

Everytime I've driven north to Cairns and crossed one of those many creeks, I wonder what is down there. We have found fish by pulling up on the side of the highway and walking these creeks, to taking side roads hoping they will intersect a creek. One such example was up Tully way when my Navman showed a side road intersecting a creek. We drove down this dirt road between the cane and found an awesome spot loaded with sooties.

I've now gone to the extent of purchasing the raster maps of Australia on CD. These are topographic maps, and are great for locating streams all over the place. One area we have only scratched the surface of is west and north west of Townsville. So many areas to explore out there! There are no guarantees though, as some streams may be dry!

Another source of inspiration for me were a couple of posts I read by a fellow Ausfisher, Jim_Tait. Do a search on Jim's name and see what you find.

My approach is that if there is water then there is a fair chance of a fish. I realise this isn't location specific, but it is an approach that has worked for us.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Dave.

Was up at Townsville this week and saw a guy casting small lures and plastics around the bottom of the Black Weir in Ross River. What would he be after - saw a million plus turtles there but no surface fish.
    A spot we used to catch a few black bream etc near Townsville was the Star River - along Harvey Range Road. We ventured up it in canoes, got a few fish, abused by the property owner for no reason, but a great time and memory.
    Regards
    Sav