Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks all for your advice on cockle banks.

Thanks all for your advice on cockle banks.

Lads,

Well I finally got out to near cockle banks today, picked up 82.

Also managed 4 Flathead as well as 3 Legal sandys, all up i got about 25 in the pots but the rest were under.

Thanks for all the advice I have recieved off many different people in relation to the banks.

Cheers,

MAD!

Re: Thanks all for your advice on cockle banks.

Were they good size? Thats good haul, did you use Gulp Worms?
    Well done
    Barraboy7
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "

Quote Originally Posted by Barraboy7 View Post
    Were they good size? Thats good haul, did you use Gulp Worms?
    Well done
    Barraboy7
    Barra,

Yeah mate they were a good size not to small which is good, yes i used Gulp Worms and also live worms the gulp out fished the live by about 70 - 12.

Cheers,

MAD!

wow. well done.

Hi Barra boy

how long do the gulp worms stay on ther hook? do you replace them often? and what rig did you use a singlr hook or more than one dropper?

Thanks

82 fish... Lucky everyone doesn't take 82 fish in one session... otherwise the ocean would be fished out... UNBELIEVABLE..

KGW, understand what you are saying, and I used to think that, but he isn't breaking any rules as yet.. There will be a bag limit on this species soon I believe, but some guys have posted results of like 400, which I think is nuts.
    Anyway, back to it, well done Mad_Fisherman, and what colour gulp worm did you use ?
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Quote Originally Posted by KGW3 View Post
    82 fish... Lucky everyone doesn't take 82 fish in one session... otherwise the ocean would be fished out... UNBELIEVABLE..
    KGW,

Did I say I took 82???? Funny I do not recall saying I took that many, I do recall saying I caught that many. As you would know being a fisherman yourself Driver whiting are rather small as it is, what 20cm average so to take 40 would give your family a good feed or two. Also have you ever researched diver whiting? just curious Google it sometime and have a look at there life span and reproduction etc, then you may understand why people have taken 400 as was quoted also.

I am not pissy mate just stating mere facts maybe before you or people make accusations you might want to get a bit of credit from the source first.

P.S don't be jealous

Cheers,

MAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysanchez View Post
    KGW, understand what you are saying, and I used to think that, but he isn't breaking any rules as yet.. There will be a bag limit on this species soon I believe, but some guys have posted results of like 400, which I think is nuts.
    Anyway, back to it, well done Mad_Fisherman, and what colour gulp worm did you use ?

Dirty,

Mate I used the red, worked a treat first time I have ever used them, I am normally a bait man i have just seen people talking on the threads about them and though god why not give it a hit.

Cheers,

MAD.

mate that is good work did u manag to use any of the poppers ???

baitmaster
    Live To Fish, Die To fish

Mad_.. sounds alright mate, so do you use a jig head with these fake wormys, or just bung them on the hook like a normal worm ?

BTW, I am quite keen to target them myself as they are sweet, but Oh man, the work involved in cleaning and filleting them, have mercy on my arthritic hands

Anyway, enjoy your whiting dinner
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

KGW, Are you for real or what.?

Quote Originally Posted by baitmaster View Post
    mate that is good work did u manag to use any of the poppers ???

baitmaster

Baitmaster,

No poppers just the worm.

Cheers.

Mad_.. sounds alright mate, so do you use a jig head with these fake wormys, or just bung them on the hook like a normal worm ?

BTW, I am quite keen to target them myself as they are sweet, but Oh man, the work involved in cleaning and filleting them, have mercy on my arthritic hands

Dirty,

Mate firstly thanks the dinner was great i just finished them along with three sandies.

Do you have a boat and do you know where cockle banks are, i have spent a good couple of years trying to find a good whiting spot.

cheers,

MAD!

Dirty,

Mate I was just going to PM you what I did however, I will post it here for you, hopefully someone will PM me some snapper spots or GPS locks for snapper.

I know a lot of fisho's do not like giving out to much info, but I hate not getting any fish and I reckon most fisherman are the same in this respect, at the end of the day there is millions of diver whiting about.

Anyways this was my day, I went out to the banks and there was about 30 odd boats so I stayed about 500m away from them to the east and drifted, I started in about 6FT of water and was drifting NW out to about 16FT, I was using both bait (Sandworm) and Gulp Worms (RED) I was hitting about 5 - 1 odds in favor of the gulp then the bait went dead.

After a while the wind changed around and I was drifting to the west, I had about two drifts which were alright then I was getting nothing so I threw out the bucket to slow down my drift and bingo they were on the bite again. they seem to becoming very patchy so each time I got one I threw the pick and picked up 8 or so then drifted again once they went off the bite. I repeated this a few times, it was starting to get late so I went and grabbed my pots and bailed out.

I was fishing with 2Kg line an Nu2 sinker I believe, small swivel about a meter 2KG leader and 6 shank hook (RED), all I did with the gulps was cut about an inch then thread it on the hook through until the worm was only on the long part of the hook and about a CM hanging down, I hope that makes since.

Anyway that was my day, I hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers and good luck with it!

MAD!