Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Bream Legal Limit??

Increasing Bream Legal Limit??

Hey Guys,

I know in our boats as we are starting to catch more fish that bream under 25cm are starting to be released as you just dont get enough of a fillet off them, and it got me thinking why dont they put the legal limit up to 25cm, or maybe even jump it up to 27cm.

I recently caught a 40cm stonker bream and was amazed by the pulling power that it had, increasing the size limit would probably result in less fish being kept as you will be getting more meat of a legal fish and you will recieve much better fights with a legal 27cm bream then you would with say a 23cm.

Im just throwing this topic out there to see other peoples opinions on the issue and if it is similar or different to mine, So do you think bream legal limit should be increased???
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Re: Increasing Bream Legal Limit??

I 100% agree with you increasing the size limit would be great and also decreasing the bag limit to 5 or 10, would be even better!!!!!

There is currently a proposal being considered by the Department of Primary industries in Victoria to raise the legal limit for Bream in this state from 26cm to 28cm.

I am definately keen to see the limit raised to ensure more of the bigger fish find there way onto the end of my rod. Personally I return all the bream i catch anyway, regardless of size. But i'm sure if the deparment does raise the limit its sure to piss off a few old timers who love to keep any fish they can get there hands on to keep the misses happy.

Good on Victoria for doing something. I live in qld and I agree, 23cm is nothing to get a fillet off, there is no point. I only keep the ones much bigger than 27cm and from what I can tell, releasing hundreds of 23 and 24cm bream pumps up your Karma levels.

A while ago they changed the size limit on snapper from 30cm (at that time I would pull in heaps of 29cm fish) to 35cm, now I always pull in heaps of 34cm fish, it obviously works. Although it would annoy some ppl wouldnt it be awesome if snapper had to be 45cm or something, at least u get a good fight from a 44cm fish, and a decent fillet from a 45cm one.

yea i agree, there would be more fish around for people to catch and have fun with, 23cm is just to small especially when you are filleting them, i think it would also increase the size of the average bream caught giving you a bit of fun when reeling it in, thats just my 2 cents
    Cheers, John

*fishing is my life*

send me a PM if ya wanna catch up and do some fishing i live at hope island

i beleive that is way to small considering the lengths that some people go to for the fish to just touch 23cm. i also beleive there should be a bag limit of 10 bream per person. i read off the dpi website a while ago about proposals that bream must be 25cm and a bag limit of 50 per person, but it looks like taht was outruled.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Thanks Guys,

Another reason that i believe it should be increased is that Bream fishing is so popular these days, people are using all these fancy $20 lures etc. and not getting much reward. They are obviously a great fish to catch but wouldnt it just be so much better to have an average fish of 26-27cm.

I also dont mind keeping bream, and wouldnt mind maybe putting a 20-30 Legal limit into place as I love to eat them, but only keep enough so that our family can eat it in one go because frozen fish just isnt worth it.

Keep your opinions coming!

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

bream are the rats of the region..heaps of them around..a bag limit of about 30 would be okay..limiy of 25cm also but that isn't going to happen. There was an opportunity to voice your opinion to the DPI earlier this year.

I'd go for a 25 limit and 10 per person per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keechie View Post
    i beleive that is way to small considering the lengths that some people go to for the fish to just touch 23cm. i also beleive there should be a bag limit of 10 bream per person. i read off the dpi website a while ago about proposals that bream must be 25cm and a bag limit of 50 per person, but it looks like taht was outruled.

regards,
    keechie
    Keechie are you telling me that qld has a minimum size of just 23cm and a bag limit of 50???

If thats true then why do they even bother having regulations.....I find that very dissappointing, especially when you consider that bream are a slow growing fish. Remind me never to bother going breaming in qld!

Currently Victoria's minimun size is 26cm and we have a bag limit of 10 fish. I personally believe that Victoria's regulations are not strong enough and need to go further!

Just out of interest what are Qld regulations on catching Snapper?

no bag limit on bream..and to be honest..none required.

Current NSW limit is 25cms, still need sto be uped to 27 at least IMHO.

Muzz

Quote Originally Posted by Gagga08 View Post
    Keechie are you telling me that qld has a minimum size of just 23cm and a bag limit of 50???

If thats true then why do they even bother having regulations.....I find that very dissappointing, especially when you consider that bream are a slow growing fish. Remind me never to bother going breaming in qld!

Currently Victoria's minimun size is 26cm and we have a bag limit of 10 fish. I personally believe that Victoria's regulations are not strong enough and need to go further!

Just out of interest what are Qld regulations on catching Snapper?
    Actually its 23cm to the tip of the tail and no bag limit, it was part of a dicussion at a dpi meeting to increase the size to 25cm and a bag limit of 50 but the offer was rejected. i Fish Only catch and release with all the bream i catch, as bream are my favourite fish and i have striong opinions on this subject.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

25 limit is fine most bream fishos I know already self impose that limit.but a 10 bag limit is a bit harsh considering the numbers( in my 30yrs of pin fishing) have remained pretty stable and plentiful( except for last friday when the buggers didnt play at all). 30 per day would be more realistic for those of us freezing our butts off to catch a feed for the family.
    Cheers Alex

The only reason it will stay at 23cm is that some CQ commercial boys will be burnt due to net size
    25cm would have been reasonable and I would never want to clean 30 Bream so that limit would not worry me

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"