Thread: Lake Kununurra by air

Lake Kununurra by air

Did this trip last December, once again an aerial survey for weeds to overlay on one done same way in 2002.

It's about 55kms from the Kununurra Diversion Dam (pictured allowing some of the environmental flow to run under the gate) up to the Ord Dam that holds back Lake Argyle (both pictured here) .

On this particular trip the chopper encountered some sort of difficulty requiring an immediate landing in case what ever broke was terminal. One of the pictures shows the landing spot from the ground as we got out, the other shows the spot from the air (shot a couple of hours later). Fortunately we were still close to town and particularly close to a small settlement called Crossing Falls. A quick walk up to the houses and a phone call had us back at the airport and into another chopper. The pilot chose to fly the problem one back on his own when nothing dramatic was found.

As you can see most of the lake is sandwiched between cliffs as it winds it's way up to Lake Argyle. Plenty of big catties and sooties live in it. One of my favourite places.

Re: Lake Kununurra by air

Beautiful Dam.We done a day trip on the dam years ago. it was one of the nicest places i have seen
    jim

Drove through Kunnanurra Xmas last year on my way from Perth to T'ville. ended up staying a week and catching barra at ivanhoe xing great place I loved it.

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

nice pics mate.......

your mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open

That took a while