Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which fisherman are you.

Which fisherman are you.

Makes me laugh with some of the comments in some forums.
    Lets see what we get in replies.

There seems to be 2 types of fisherman.

The ones that work there gear and the ones that must have there reels on shelves in the lounge room with high powered spot lights shinning on them to admire.

A real fisherman works there gear hard and don’t care about the look of the reel as they get used once or twice a week and don’t get a wash down or lubed.
    These guys have to transport there rod and reel from car to jetty,boat or rocks and they get blown over by wind or roll around in the boat.

These guys don’t care if there’s scratches paint chips or bubbling paint on the alloy.
    I’ll bet they catch 10 to 1 of your fish cause they fish and not sit there looking and admiring there reels.

Use your reels for what they are intended for and pull them apart every six months and do a service..

Which fisherman are you.

Re: Which fisherman are you.

"A real fisherman works there gear hard and don’t care about the look of the reel as they get used once or twice a week and don’t get a wash down or lubed.
    These guys have to transport there rod and reel from car to jetty,boat or rocks and they get blown over by wind or roll around in the boat.

These guys don’t care if there’s scratches paint chips or bubbling paint on the alloy.
    I’ll bet they catch 10 to 1 of your fish cause they fish and not sit there looking and admiring there reels."

Thats pretty much me and my clumsyness althought the bit about catching 10 - 1 fish is more like 5 - 1.

Cammy
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

i feel i am a 'real fisherman' but i care about my gear, i treat it with respect & look after it, the rods & reels are secured when i travel, as much from a safety point of view as a look after them point of view, so they don't roll around getting chipped & scratched. Takes all of 2 minutes to do this..
    the 'real fisherman that you talk about obviously has more money than sense, or just buys crap gear because he doesn't care about it.
    at the end of the day it is cleaned & put in a cupboard ready the next trip.

sounds like your idea of a 'real fisherman' only uses an alvey..

Well I certainly have used my gear and I like to be very careful with it because I like buying reasonable quality and yes through use my reels are getting that used look about them. But hey I have enjoyed using them and actually catching stuff with them. My outfits sit on a modest stand in a dark corner and I service them with only the best grease available which I purchased specially from my last job. Have just finished servicing them and loading up with new braid ready for the River2Mud M&G. Getting close now. Here's a few pics to show how I am making my reels get used. None of the fish in the photos were caught from my living room.

Giant Herring

Yellowtail Kingfish

Bay Snap

Another Bay Snap

Kids getting value out of their rods and reels

Fishing to me has become an obsession. Lol

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    i feel i am a 'real fisherman' but i care about my gear, i treat it with respect & look after it, the rods & reels are secured when i travel, as much from a safety point of view as a look after them point of view, so they don't roll around getting chipped & scratched. Takes all of 2 minutes to do this..
    the 'real fisherman that you talk about obviously has more money than sense, or just buys crap gear because he doesn't care about it.
    at the end of the day it is cleaned & put in a cupboard ready the next trip.

sounds like your idea of a 'real fisherman' only uses an alvey..
    I buy reels $300-$400 and use it for what its intended for.Care is taken not to damage them but sh*t happens..
    I don’t see them as a toy.I Leave them in the boot for the next trip probably 3-4 days depending on weather. But for some next trip might be 4-6 weeks away.if that .
    The reason people spend large amounts of money on good quality reels is for strength and lasting qualities cause they want to work them..
    Next time have a close look at a pro fisherman and his gear.

Yer i buy good gear and treat it with the respect i deserves, but when fishing, i fish hard with it!!!!!!

Poodroo, nice shot of the broken stradic. Any story beyond "normal" use.

Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    Poodroo, nice shot of the broken stradic. Any story beyond "normal" use.
    I was going hard with my uncle's reel on that occasion. It was his Stradic. I fought the fish to the point where it was almost tired enough to bring to the boat but it decided that one last run was in order. When it turned and headed off the strain on the Stradic was too much and it simply snapped off a the base. We managed to get the fish in by my uncle pulling the line in by hand whilst I did my best to wind the line onto what was left of the reel. It was a joint effort and he did get a replacement reel in the end.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Makes me laugh with some of the comments in some forums.
    Lets see what we get in replies.

There seems to be 2 types of fisherman.

The ones that work there gear and the ones that must have there reels on shelves in the lounge room with high powered spot lights shinning on them to admire.

A real fisherman works there gear hard and don’t care about the look of the reel as they get used once or twice a week and don’t get a wash down or lubed.

I’ll bet they catch 10 to 1 of your fish cause they fish and not sit there looking and admiring there reels.

Use your reels for what they are intended for and pull them apart every six months and do a service..

Which fisherman are you.

These are also the blokes that absolutely spew when they get their bill/rough quote for a service and repair,the next time some goose says 'bullshit all it needs is a squirt of oil' I'm going to tell him to piss off and do it himself,it takes very little effort to keep a reel in good condition.

Can I still qualify as being a 'real fisherman' though I use expensive gear and look after it?

I have found that the extra few minutes during and after each trip looking after the gear will guarantee it lasts for a long time.

I suppose that makes me a 'real fisherman' who is not lazy?

sooooooooooooo, just so Ive got this right, you are saying to become a real fisherman, treat your gear with disdain, and as a consequence catch 10 times more fish??

I look after my gear but with use it gets useage marks and after a while they do look second hand, but NONE of them are abused.

Jack.

I think i am a "real" fisherman i fish hard but look after my gear.
    I try to keep my gear un marked but when it does happin i get pissed but get over it.
    I use gear from $200 -$600 and they get a flogging i like to fish light line for big fish so they have have to be decent.

Looking after your gear will help you in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    sooooooooooooo, just so Ive got this right, you are saying to become a real fisherman, treat your gear with disdain, and as a consequence catch 10 times more fish??
    I think this question is directed to me ?
    Not at all.
    Some good fishermen know which reels to buy that perform and know there limits.They don’t buy shiny reels instead buy workhorses that are reliable .The more you use a reel the more it looks worn out cosmetically even though it might be 6 months old.The more outings the more fish the more wear and tear.
    BR65 by all means twist things anyway you like

I fish every weekend if i could and fishing gear is like a boat if you don't wash it down and keep it clean it won't last and be woth anything and i use my gear hard from 80lb outfits to 50 lbg braided spinning set ups and after every trip when's it's dried and clean it's stored away in my shed ready for next time and i don't see any problem in that whats so ever
    Cheers
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)