Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 100
  1. #46

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    would that be the same for boats, cars ect??
    i just dont know how you can say it doesnt matter if it gets a massive scratch on it? if you bought a new reel on got a big fat scratch on it u cant say that u wouldnt even be a little bit annoyed.
    i try to take care of everything i own,i take pride in my gear even though it isnt top of the line stuff i do my best to keep it in the best possible condition it can possebly be in
    I'm only mainly talking about reels in this reply.Once that first scratch is on there it don't matter to me any more its already damaged so another 2 or six don't matter anymore.its only a reel
    i'm not a materialistic type of person.people matter more to me.

  2. #47

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    i know that i need to take better care of my crap. i use it till it breaks then i ither fix it of get a new one of what ever it was i broke. fishing gear is made to be used so just use it, it's no good to ya if its sitting on a shelf ,is it .
    figjam :wink:

  3. #48

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    i know that i need to take better care of my crap. i use it till it breaks then i ither fix it of get a new one of what ever it was i broke. fishing gear is made to be used so just use it, it's no good to ya if its sitting on a shelf ,is it .
    Of course you use it and use it heaps....No good at all sitting on the shelf collecting dust......BUT a bit of maintenance isnt hard and will save you $$$$ in the end....Hey we all need those extra $$$ for petrol...

    Pete

  4. #49

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Been a bit of both for me. Used to work my cheap gear hard and not look after it. Some of it still perform well after it should have packed up too.
    These days I work hard and appreciate my gear a little more. With a couple of my combos up over the grand mark I intend to get a fair life out of them. Reels are given a light service before any extended trip. New braid every year. Rods stored in a rack at home and tubes while in transit. Last thing I want is gear failure. Buy the best you can afford. Fish it like you mean it and look after it and it wont let you down. No excuses.

  5. #50

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    think ill buy some big spotties, stick the rods and reels in the middle of the lounge, light them up and sit and stare at them all day if that doesnt ill polish the sinkers

    if i still havent caught any fish after a couple of months, ill take a grinder to the reels, rough them up and see if that helps seems a roughed up reel should catch more fish and your a ridgie didge fisho.. maybe i should run over it a few times with the 4bie, should make me a dangerous bagout fisho.

    Or is it the guy behind the rod
    Tangles KFC


  6. #51

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    One thing that I find unusual with so much talk of high quality reels with big price tags which need care due to $ paid for them and we have depleted fish stock which is becoming world wide and people are spending more money with less return.?
    I donít know,may be Iím out of touch with the general populations thinking..

    Alright Iíll say it..ivíe been under a rock for too long.

  7. #52

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    One thing that I find unusual with so much talk of high quality reels with big price tags which need care due to $ paid for them and we have depleted fish stock which is becoming world wide and people are spending more money with less return.?
    I donít know,may be Iím out of touch with the general populations thinking..

    Alright Iíll say it..ivíe been under a rock for too long.
    Maybe because of the depleted fish stock situation ...... we spend more today we finesse our fish to be able to catch them!
    If I look back over my fishing life .... just to catch a humble bream ........ I've gone from 7-8 ft rods that are built on a pool cue , 4000 size reels loaded with 12lb mono (no leader) & fished 1/0 hooks
    - Today I fish with 7 ft ultra light high modulus graphite rods , 1500 size high end reels .... loaded with 4 - 6lb braid (6-10 lb FC leaders) & use typically 3 gram lures (1/32 jig heads) with soft plastics ............ & catch many more bream than I used to .......... & more importantly have more fun with a greater sense of achievement.

    Cheers

    Nagg

  8. #53

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    I donít know,may be Iím out of touch with the general populations thinking.

  9. #54

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    I think this question is directed to me ?
    Not at all.
    Some good fishermen know which reels to buy that perform and know there limits.They donít buy shiny reels instead buy workhorses that are reliable .The more you use a reel the more it looks worn out cosmetically even though it might be 6 months old.The more outings the more fish the more wear and tear.
    BR65 by all means twist things anyway you like
    good to see you are getting some shiny reels now mate!

  10. #55

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    when im fishing i work my gear hard and never worry too much about hurting a reel. By this i dont mean i tightening up drags to the breaking point of reels, but i will use a reel hard if need be to catch a fish. Saying that, i do use alveys for beach and rocks. but i also spend considerable time making sure that my gear is in the best condition it can be and drag mechainsims are smooth. this goes for all of my reels and rods. The last thing i want is to lose a solid fish due to something breaking or having inadequate gear. It has happened before...

    Owen

  11. #56

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    I have a Fireblood 2500 and I take care of it because I cannot rerally afford to buy reels like that too often.

    I often look at it and think that all the bling,like the paintjob and red coloring metal must hike the price up and makes me wonder why they don't have a reel that is just a workhorse with the same internals just no bling factor to keep a competitive price.

    But I have landed some good fish on it and I would be hard pressed buying a lesser reel next time, finances allowing of course.

    I have heard the twin powers are quite good too, they obviously dont have the bling factor, pretty standard looking reel, but that would be my next choice for a cheaper but efficient reel.

    I rinse it in fresh after every outing, IMO this is not hard to do and will increase the life of your reel.




    cheers

  12. #57

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Makes me laugh with some of the comments in some forums.
    Lets see what we get in replies.

    There seems to be 2 types of fisherman.

    The ones that work there gear and the ones that must have there reels on shelves in the lounge room with high powered spot lights shinning on them to admire.

    A real fisherman works there gear hard and donít care about the look of the reel as they get used once or twice a week and donít get a wash down or lubed.
    These guys have to transport there rod and reel from car to jetty,boat or rocks and they get blown over by wind or roll around in the boat.

    These guys donít care if thereís scratches paint chips or bubbling paint on the alloy.
    Iíll bet they catch 10 to 1 of your fish cause they fish and not sit there looking and admiring there reels.

    Use your reels for what they are intended for and pull them apart every six months and do a service..

    Which fisherman are you.
    Spears,
    There seems to be four types of fisherperson/angler.

    1.The Novice, 1-4 times a year occasional fisho.

    2.The Regular, Loves to be on the water with family & friends, a fish is a bonus.

    3.The Angler, the 10%ers as we know them. These are the anglers who take a rather simplistic approach to the sport. They understand water & how to read it, wind lanes, land contours and variations, structure & the elements. They understand fish habits, habitat, diets & what makes fish tick. ďThe AnglerĒ goes about their business quietly, doesnít advertise their presence, produces regularly and put simply knows what they are doing. These are the aware, switched on anglers always improving.

    4.The Technical. Too consumed with their egos and what they aspire to be. They rarely take a simplistic approach. Generally know-alls who canít and donít want to see the forest for the trees. These people make their fishing very difficult and with time many of their catch rates decline, at best they donít improve very much. They seem to overload their brains with useless information which in turn confuses their rationale. These are the mislead that canít see themselves this way, often referred to as ďwannabeesĒ or ďelitistsĒ. This group seem to revere a particular species, whether it be Barramundi, Murray Cod or other.

    I donít think the quality of gear an angler prefers to use has much bearing as to which category they fall into, however attitude & approach certainly do.

    People who appreciate how hard theyíve worked to purchase any goods will look after those possessions.

  13. #58

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    Spears,
    There seems to be four types of fisherperson/angler.

    1.The Novice, 1-4 times a year occasional fisho.

    2.The Regular, Loves to be on the water with family & friends, a fish is a bonus.

    3.The Angler, the 10%ers as we know them. These are the anglers who take a rather simplistic approach to the sport. They understand water & how to read it, wind lanes, land contours and variations, structure & the elements. They understand fish habits, habitat, diets & what makes fish tick. ďThe AnglerĒ goes about their business quietly, doesnít advertise their presence, produces regularly and put simply knows what they are doing. These are the aware, switched on anglers always improving.

    4.The Technical. Too consumed with their egos and what they aspire to be. They rarely take a simplistic approach. Generally know-alls who canít and donít want to see the forest for the trees. These people make their fishing very difficult and with time many of their catch rates decline, at best they donít improve very much. They seem to overload their brains with useless information which in turn confuses their rationale. These are the mislead that canít see themselves this way, often referred to as ďwannabeesĒ or ďelitistsĒ. This group seem to revere a particular species, whether it be Barramundi, Murray Cod or other.

    I donít think the quality of gear an angler prefers to use has much bearing as to which category they fall into, however attitude & approach certainly do.

    People who appreciate how hard theyíve worked to purchase any goods will look after those possessions.
    You forgot one...
    5.The keyboard angler.All consumed with forums and not ACTUALLY fishing

  14. #59

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphas View Post
    You forgot one...
    5.The keyboard angler.All consumed with forums and not ACTUALLY fishing
    Drifting baits out there waiting for a hit....

    JIM
    What would Macgyver do . . . . . ?

  15. #60

    Re: Which fisherman are you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    Drifting baits out there waiting for a hit....

    JIM
    I'm not the only one...
    Thinly veiled swipe in no.4 perhaps......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us