Thread: Light baitcaster setup?

Light baitcaster setup?

I am in the market for a new rod and reel. I use a fairly heavy Abu Garcia BG7000 on an ugly stick platinum (5-6kg) at the moment, and I'm after a lighter rod/reel. Throwing light lures and SP's are my main priorities, as the current reel is a bit heavy.
    Do you guys have any recommendations for a good rod and reel to suit this light estuary kind of stuff?
    I'm a fan of baitcasters, but I'd also like to know if you think spin gear is more appropriate.

Re: Light baitcaster setup?

I'd go spingear mate, I find that the shimano ranges for spinning rods are great and for reels I like the Daiwa Excellor and Shimano Sahara they're my favourite reels and rods.

Cheers Tom,
    P.S look around some tackle stored for some advice and to look at some rods.

Hi mate, from what i've heard and what u have said, i would recommend a daiwa alphas and a light graphite rod e.g G.Loomis, should be able to throw light lures on that.

Cheers

Thanks for the help.
    Any opinions on shimano curado's? Are they worth the price?

Gorey1
    Have a look at the Egrell range of rods matched up with either the advantage or HRF [Hard Rock Fish] from Daiwa

Cheers Foxie

Curado is a great real, but not for ultra light lures. And you will need a lot of practice with a light casting plug BEFORE you go fishing with it. If you are prepared to do that - then you will have a lot of enjoyment out of using it. Threadline reels are always the best option for light lures - as the only thing the lure has to impede it is the line - not the revolving spool of the reel. Though in windy conditions you can get in a muddle, then its time to move to heavier luress - in which case the baitcaster comes nto its own.

Cheers
    Greg