Thread: Kawongba

Kawongba

Hi everyone;

Not a fresh water fisho at all - but was feeding some ducks with my little nephew near my brother's place which backs onto lake kawongba (?Sp - the water body at Petrie) - and noticed some small colourful fish that resembled mollies (wee not gold fish). About 6cm long. Trying to eat the scraps of bread in the shallows from the ducks. I assume these are noxious / introduced - but wonder how many other fresh water dams have these - and are they common?

Would be interested to see.

Are you allowed to removed this with a net to use in your own aquarium?

Regards,

Brad.

Re: Kawongba

Hi mate,
    I assume you mean Lake Kurwongbah, we have caught one feral goldfish on an electrofish sample earlier this year. There are a tonne of small Tilapia in there which are illegal to keep, they can have a goldish colour but normally also have vertical black stripes as well.

The group I'm involved with, PRFMA, recently realeased in Kurwongbah some 70mm Golden Perch which are a pale golden colour. By the letter of the law taking these fish would be against regs due to being undersize, in terms of the morality of taking them you can make your own decision. Due to it being a bad season breeding wise for Golden Perch we were unable to obtain anywhere near the numbers we wanted. So for a first release of this species it was disappointing. Hopefully the coming season will be better.

There are bony bream present, also firetail, flathead and carp gudgeons, some spangled perch and one of my favourites eel tail catfish.

There have also been Bass released which hopefully should be at least 10cm by now. Also the start of a breeding population of gar fish is in the lake now, only 500 of them but if they get left alone there will be plenty of them soon enough.

We are probably still 2 years away from the Lake starting to be a fun place to fish.

If you can, get a photo of the fish in question and post it on here for an I.D.

Quote Originally Posted by shayned View Post
    Hi mate,
    I assume you mean Lake Kurwongbah, we have caught one feral goldfish on an electrofish sample earlier this year. There are a tonne of small Tilapia in there which are illegal to keep, they can have a goldish colour but normally also have vertical black stripes as well.

The group I'm involved with, PRFMA, recently realeased in Kurwongbah some 70mm Golden Perch which are a pale golden colour. By the letter of the law taking these fish would be against regs due to being undersize, in terms of the morality of taking them you can make your own decision. Due to it being a bad season breeding wise for Golden Perch we were unable to obtain anywhere near the numbers we wanted. So for a first release of this species it was disappointing. Hopefully the coming season will be better.

There are bony bream present, also firetail, flathead and carp gudgeons, some spangled perch and one of my favourites eel tail catfish.

There have also been Bass released which hopefully should be at least 10cm by now. Also the start of a breeding population of gar fish is in the lake now, only 500 of them but if they get left alone there will be plenty of them soon enough.

We are probably still 2 years away from the Lake starting to be a fun place to fish.

If you can, get a photo of the fish in question and post it on here for an I.D.
    Thanks so much for this info and insight to this lake.

Yes sorry, I did spell it incorrectly, I spelt it phenetically as too lazy to look at street directory lol.

I find it really interesting to know what is in the fresh water dams around Brisbane....

I would never take an under sized fish.... dont worry.

I am almost certain the fish were mollies. They were more slender than a gold fish, golden in colour as apposed to that orange of a gold fish, and ranged in size with average been around 6 to 8cm.

Since my post, my brother said he had seen some speckled ones too before.

Also, excuse my ignorance - why are talapia illegal to keep? Can you not catch them as they are protected or are they a pest?

Also - what is an "electrofish sample"?

Finally - some of the stocked species you mentioned are salt water? (flathead).... or are these a fresh water species?

Thanks,

Brad.

G'Day Braddles,
    Tilapia are illegal to keep as they are a noxious species (noxious meaing harmful to our environment). See more info at http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/tilapia.htm

Shayne was referring to Flathead Gudgeon, a small native freshwater species. Stocked species are listed on the Lake Kurwongbah Info Page

Electrofishing is a technique used by researchers where fish are stunned by electrical current. This tecnique is very dangerous to humans & is permitted only under licence & with strict safety protocols. Generally the fish are unharmed during this process & fully recover within a minute or so.

I Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I was wading at North Pine on Sunday arvo and spotted a little school of fish in the shallows. About 5cm long, guppy shaped with blue backs ( not tilapia ) There was about twenty all up swimming in a tight school. I followed them for a little while, never seen them before. I tell you, there's all sorts of fish being released in those dams.

LGM,-------------- Little fish with BLUE BACKS??????????

What in the hell could they be?? Might have to go out and see if i can find them.

People should be aware that it's an offence to release fish without a permit from the DPI&F, there are huge fines involved.

Cheers,
    John.

P.S. GOOD TO SEE THE YOUNG FELLA'S PIC AS YOUR AVITAR

Yeah John, really blue. Thats how I noticed them. In between casts they swam right in front of me on the top of the water. Flashes of bright blue got my attention. I followed them right down the bank and they kept darting this way and that to get away from me.
    Caleb usually has his little scoop net with him but he left it at home. Would have been dead easy to catch them.
    He gives it a good go out there catching heaps of little things. Little gudgeons with orange tails. mosquito fish. little spotted gudgeons and he occasionally gets little tiny white shrimp with bright red nippers.
    I wonder if it's legal to bring these fish home for a little tank ? I was planning on doing that...hmmm I'd better check into that one.

Pity you couldn't get a photo, we have on going research project running on Kurwongbah, part of which includes trapping small fish. So i guess if it wasn't the yellows you saw than we'll get a sample sooner or later.

Forgot to mention also have found speckled hardiheads in there as well.

Sounds like neon tetras, but could be any one of dozens of fish that are still permitted to be imported. There are hundreds that should be banned or a system where anyone who purchased these fish should be accountable for them. Random audits & if any die they must be kept & shown for inspection.
    Its ironic that to keep many Australian animals (reptiles, birds, marsupials etc) you need a permit & can be audited. But with nasty little imports its open slather. Rediculous really!!!

I got offered a large pair of Pecock Bass a couple of weeks ago... Could be a disaster for all of our fish stocking work if these ever get released into our waterways,,,,, goodbye bass, barra & cod etc.

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Peacock Bass???? Are they allowed into the country?? How stupid are we???

In Florida they stocked Tilapia to clean up a weed problem in a closed system and suprise, suprise they got into the main water ways. Who would have thought that, hey???

Do you know which fish they stocked to clean up the plague of Tilapia, Ta Da, Peacock Bass because they are agressive predators which will eat almost anything. Apparently very hard to find a Tilapia now, and if my memory is right, very hard to find anything else either.