Thread: Wellington Point

Wellington Point

Hi ausfishers!! Just wondering if i can get some advice on wellington point. Taking my wife and boy for a family day out. Her parents are coming along too so that means the father in law is keen for a flick. where is a fair spot to have the family and also to flick some plastics? any help would be very much appreicated.

thanks

smoked
    (when Im dead) my biggest FEAR is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.........

Re: Wellington Point

smoked,

Wellington Point park is right adjacent to the Boat Ramp and Jetty. You can walk out to King Island from the point. Shore based it is pretty shallow in most directions. I haven't fished the area so don't know any spots to give you.

Here are a few pics of the area from Google Earth/Panoramio;

The Jetty (faces East and adjacent to the boat ramp to the right)

The walk out to King Island

Mostly shallow mud flats

The Brisbane River ports are visible to the NW

And a piccy taken from Google Earth of the Park area.

Cheers

Dave

I should have added that if you are heading there on the weekend get there early!. It is an extremely popular spot and parking is limited. There are bbqs under cover seating etc and there is a cafe/takeaway right next to park.

Cheers

Dave

Bloody hell Dave, you should work for the Redland bay tourist commission. Thats the nicest i've ever seen wello looking at low tide.

I've spent quite a bit of time fishing wello landbased and found it quite hit and miss (i'd rather head there when its windy to kitesurf) but its a good place for the family to sit around in the arvo anyway.

The jetty is worth a quick flick ( a mate caught a nice little squire off the end years ago and i've caught a few tailor and bream) but i wouldn't spend too much time out there.

The rocks just to the left of the jetty are worth a shot for bream and the flats to the south of the boat ramp are good whiting grounds at the right times and i've caught some elbow slappers round there, but again i've also spent some cold fishless nights there too

On the western side i've found it hard work, the only fish i've ever caught was a flattie on plastics and it was at a half run out tide when the water was about 2 foot deep over the flats between the start of the spit and the rock wall at the point (casting from the rock wall)

Other than that, enjoy the sunset.

The fish and chip shop up the road is better than the one at the point too

Just a quick note that the jetty at Wello is currently undergoing repairs by the council and you cannot access the last 10m or so (where the best fishing usually is!).

Regs

Pete

thanks heaps guys for ur help. very much appreicated. should be a fun day anyway if we dont catch fish. the joy of spending the day with the family.

smoked
    (when Im dead) my biggest FEAR is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.........

The sand spit would be the go on the last 1/2 or so of the run out tide. Just walk up and down having a flick with sp's (as already mentioned though, quite hit and miss, I've never found it to be consistent). I've found the shrimp style ones to be better than the minnow style in that particular area. gulp nuke chook shrimps or the squidgy lobbys. a weedless jig head will help too.