Thread: somerset dam soft plastics and hb??

somerset dam soft plastics and hb??

hey guys waz wondering wat sp's i should use at somerset and wat hard body i should try for some bass saratoga e.t.c

baitmaster

Re: somerset dam soft plastics and hb??

Jackalls and slider plastics

Never fished Somerset but I've caught a few in North Pine. MeePee's right about Sliders...most paddle tail grubs will work for bass. They'll grab most soft plastics though, but usually people head for a good quality paddle tail grub in the three inch range.
    Jackalls are also awseome bass lollies as well as other lipless baits, Mazzy Vibes, Spros, even G vibes will do the job if fished correctly, so you don't have to break the bank to haul in some bass. If you want a lure to really wake them up...blade lures are great for sending vibrations out to attract them. Evergreen little max are just brilliant lures.
    Bass will hit metal slugs as well which is an easy option.
    Spinnerbaits are an almost must have, for me anyway. They are easy to use and the freshwater fish climb all over them.
    The amount of lures which will work is huge.
    You'll have to ask yourself how much you want to spend as some of the Jackalls and what not don't come cheap. A TN 60 in a shop will set you back around $23 where as a G Vibe will give you a pretty good copy ( not as good ) for about $6.

I guess that like most places at the moment the bass will be holding deep so you'll need something to reach them. Most bibbed lures won't get down to them unless you troll slowly with a deep diver.
    There's so many more lures that will work and it can drive you crazy thinking about them all. If I had to take only a few it would be...a Jackall Mask Vib, an Evergreen Little Max and a packet of Sliders with some bettlespins jighead attachments, oh and a 1/2 quality spinnerbait ( Bassman, TT etc ) that would give you a pretty good chance.
    Hope you get onto them.

we donged a few in clarrie hall over the weekend. found them still around the edges of the lillies and the slider was the killer bait on a 1/8th jighead, slow rolled out from the edges. found a few hanging deep in open water but couldn't tempt them.

Cheers Roo.

Quote Originally Posted by MeePee_99 View Post
    Jackalls and slider plastics
    Spot on there.
    Best slidders for somerset are " baby bass" and "smoke yellow core" (sometimes called "catapilla". Use a reasonable size jighead too, about 3/8 or 1/2oz, Jackall masks go ok as well. Cruise around 18 to 25 foot flats till you find schools on your sounder. Jackall tn60's will work well when cast to the edges of the dam.
    Cheers
    Mike D

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    Spot on there.
    Best slidders for somerset are " baby bass" and "smoke yellow core" (sometimes called "catapilla". Use a reasonable size jighead too, about 3/8 or 1/2oz, Jackall masks go ok as well. Cruise around 18 to 25 foot flats till you find schools on your sounder. Jackall tn60's will work well when cast to the edges of the dam.
    Cheers
    Mike D
    Spot on with the advise MikeD....Baby Bass attached to a 1/2oz jighead....slow roll off the bottom through a school of Bass and bobs your uncle you can quite often get nailed on the way down.....Whitto PS: Use Jackalls the same way
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless