Thread: Kinchant Dam

Kinchant Dam

Gooday Guys,
    A question for the local Mackay Ausfishers.
    What is the prospect of getting some good Redclaw at Kinchant Mid July?
    What is the prefered bait for the nets?
    I look forward to your replies.
    Cheers Brush.

Re: Kinchant Dam

Not sure if I can be of any help to you, being relatively new to the area myself, but Lee at B@F is a keen fisho and has had articles in several fishing mags. Top bloke to talk to and will offer sound advice.

Noiseworks

Thanks Noisey,
    I shall see what comes in replies to thread but, I will ring Lee early next week
    Cheers Brush

You may find the cold snap we have just had might slow them down a little. I have heard there are not too many red claw in Kinchant due to the trophy barra in there.

Try Lake Elphinstone or North Goonyella Dam (check spelling) near Nebo. Its worth the drive for the scenery.

Lake Elphinstone has a free camp site with pit toilets and hot water.

A mate regularly catches crays at North Goonyella sometimes upto 40 per day whilst on day shift at the mine and many more at night.

Pillies I find are the best bait as they let out a heap of oil and attract the tasty morsals.

You will have much better success on dusk and later into the night as opposed to during the day.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark,
    I will check both these dams out particulary Elphinstone for the camping.
    I have never tried Pillies for bait. Generally use pet food pellets and citrus fruit
    We have mainly gone to Fairbairn Dam but heading up the coast this trip.
    Cheers Brush

Gooday Guys,
    We returned back home last Saturday from our Mackay trip.
    The weather was very poor up there, we did not get out to any of the local dams for Redclaw. Our traveling friends are at Posepine lake and are really getting a big feed. Good size too , up to 300 mm.
    We did however have a ripper arvo on Crabs at Armstrong Beach which made up for not going to the Dams. Cheers Brush