Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Macdonald

Lake Macdonald

Anyone fish Lake Mac recently? Is anything being caught? Heading there with the family and the canoe tomorrow so thought, I would throw in the rods. Where in the lake should I try? What is the best lure/bait to try for bass/yellows in there? Was thinking spinnerbaits, trolled and casted. Any other assistance or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Lake Macdonald

mate dont be scared to fish a popper if you are up there early right up against the weed edges ,it might be cold but they will still have a go at them and the toga as well,jackalls in natural colors do well also,cast to the weed edges as well as trolled. the first ramp in from the bruce highway we use and straight across from it on the right there is good edges.work around that down to the right in all the pockets,it has been slow of late but you wont catch them sitting at home ,good luck it is a great dam cheers AL

ps that toga in my pic is from macdonald

Toga!!!

Looks more like a barra & there's none of those in Lake McDonald.

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    mate dont be scared to fish a popper if you are up there early right up against the weed edges ,it might be cold but they will still have a go at them and the toga as well,jackalls in natural colors do well also,cast to the weed edges as well as trolled. the first ramp in from the bruce highway we use and straight across from it on the right there is good edges.work around that down to the right in all the pockets,it has been slow of late but you wont catch them sitting at home ,good luck it is a great dam cheers AL
    Al

Thanks for this info. We are camping at the scout camp grounds, so I guess this will mean that I should paddle over that launching ramp and work over to the bays on the southern side of the dam. If I can sneak away early one morning, i will give the poppers a go.

sorry luc it was a toga i changed the avatar the same night and forgot i put that in the post

nopq576

=

Edited: just to explain the above, in the wee hours of this morning, there was some low life on the forum posting, shall we say, very inappropriate material

the above story is what i would like to do to that person LOL

jenny

the editor has sorted it out this morning thank goodness
    Blackjack

The body is evil .... it must be punished.

Back now from the trip. Beautiful spot and well worth the trip. The fishing was limited due to family and tagging a 17mth old and a 3yr old along. Fair amount of weed in the lake and we spooked something rather big in the shallows up one of the bays. The boil was a good 50cm and we could see the bow wave take off to the deeper water. Will definately go back.

Well i might whiz up there this arvo. As the Worrior says you can't catch 'em sittin at home.

The lake is an hour away why am i sittin here? Now where is that parker?

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Well i might whiz up there this arvo. As the Worrior says you can't catch 'em sittin at home.

The lake is an hour away why am i sittin here? Now where is that parker?
    So how did you go?

The big boil and bow wave for anyone who is interested was in the NE bay just before it narrows. Love to know what it was. Toga?

That would be my guess.

I wolud have a guess at a bloody big eel ( I hooked 1 on Saturday morning and got it to the boat before getting snapped off BUT I would guess 8 foot long and about 5 inches between the eyes ) I have seen a number of them cruising the shallows regularly. Did you catch any Bass Apollo ??? Where you in the green/yellow kayak ??
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bud-dy View Post
    I wolud have a guess at a bloody big eel ( I hooked 1 on Saturday morning and got it to the boat before getting snapped off BUT I would guess 8 foot long and about 5 inches between the eyes ) I have seen a number of them cruising the shallows regularly. Did you catch any Bass Apollo ??? Where you in the green/yellow kayak ??
    Paul
    Paul

Didn't think of an eel. Fishing options were limited with the family, but I did get a bass below the dam wall that I lost at the bank, but nothing in the dam. We were in green and white canadian.

Just pointing out that it is closed season for bass below dam wall.
    Cheers
    Ray