Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private Message storage limits

Re: Private Message storage limits

Hi

Is it saying you have 5 messages, or 5 messages in your inbox?

It could be that you have messages in your sent box that you have not deleted. The total refers to all messages, not just those in your inbox

At the risk of getting banned, I'd like to express the opinion that I think the PM message limits are unreasonably draconian.

I can get lots of free accounts (gmail etc) where I can store thousands of messages. I can create free web servers with gigabytes of free storage.

I paid for this account and yet I get a limit of 5 PMs. I really think that sucks and probably negatively impacts building a community.

Yes, I understand that a sensible limit needs to be set to manage overheads - but I think it should be hundreds or thousands and not 5 or 50.

What do I know? A lifetime in IT and Engineering including running and administering web services.

Just my opinion, and opinions are like r'soles ... everyone has one.

Ron

Ron
    Loc: Bundaberg
    B1: Yalta Craft 2200 Fisherman + Suzuki DF150
    B2: Quintrex 430 Fishabout + E-Tech 40

Look into how you progress through membership levels. I think it partly relates to post numbers... ie. participation and partly length of membership but I could be wrong

Thanks. I understand the progression based on posts but it still sucks. Maybe if I keep whinging then I'll get to 50 and have less to whinge about?🤔

... Ron via mobile

Ron

Hi

Thanks for your feedback.
    I idea of the forums is to share information on the forums publicly so everyone can benefit from posts and replies on a subject.
    This way everyone gets to benefit from the information posted. If done via private message no one else benefits.

The limit is also to help prevent spam to members via private message of new members that sign up purely for commercial gain.

The free accounts you mention are usually run by companies that are making millions, if not billions a year. The forums are mainly funded out of my own pocket for the last 20 plus years.

I have increased the limit on New members to 25. If your message limit is being reached you can simply delete some messages in your sent or inbox folders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald2boats View Post
    At the risk of getting banned, I'd like to express the opinion that I think the PM message limits are unreasonably draconian.

I can get lots of free accounts (gmail etc) where I can store thousands of messages. I can create free web servers with gigabytes of free storage.

I paid for this account and yet I get a limit of 5 PMs. I really think that sucks and probably negatively impacts building a community.

Yes, I understand that a sensible limit needs to be set to manage overheads - but I think it should be hundreds or thousands and not 5 or 50.

What do I know? A lifetime in IT and Engineering including running and administering web services.

Just my opinion, and opinions are like r'soles ... everyone has one.

Ron

Thank you for doing that. At least it becomes workable for new members.

... Ron via mobile

Ron