Thread: Would You Tackle One Of The Worlds Biggest Fish?

Would You Tackle One Of The Worlds Biggest Fish?

Hey Folks,

Would you tackle one of these giants? Arapaima Gigas.

They have been reported back in the day at round 20ft , found in the amazon.

Does anyone actually set out to find the biggest fish they can possibly handle and travel over the globe?

(Yes i am bored atm )

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Re: Would You Tackle One Of The Worlds Biggest Fish?

what would you use for bait ?
    "True Blue"

Humans , nah they eat other fish,birds,insects and animals that fall in the water. They have been seen jumping for birds.

Cammo

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    Hey Folks,

Would you tackle one of these giants? Arapaima Gigas.

They have been reported back in the day at round 20ft , found in the amazon.

Does anyone actually set out to find the biggest fish they can possibly handle and travel over the globe?

(Yes i am bored atm )

Cammo

Cammo ..... what lures do we need

They are huge, is that there sci name or do they have a common name amonst the loacals, they are like a huge pike cross toga.

cheers Nath

I think the name amongst the locals is "What da F...k was dat" I believe the lure is called a 12guage Shotgun..........
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

You'd have to reckon that if it can jump ...... It would go like the clappers

The thing is would it be worth it trying to catch these fish as there are alot of dangers in the amazon like aligators, anacondas, parana's and hippos not to add the mosquitoes that can carry diseases.

Its a PIRARUCU from the brazillian part of the Amazon apparently they grow to 3 metres + and jump and are important to the people of the amazon due to there table qualities (apparently good) anyhow big suckers.

Nath

No Hippos in South America Scoocer101, Africa only.

You can add Bull Sharks to the list though, apparently they are plentiful for most of the length of the Amazon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_River

Cheers

Dave

LOL my mistake fellas, it would still be a bit risky. It would be amazing to catch one of those fish though wow wht a fight. They look like a saratoga/ lungfish.

The gigas is closely related to the African Bony Tounge (african arowana), so they pretty much are a cross between Togaz and Lungfish since the gigaz breaths air, and has to come up for air every 20 mins or so , even though they have fully functional gills.

They are becoming rare in the wild from over fishing, because people usually net these monsters, they are easy to find , because when they come up to get air they make a loud sound like the lungfish , but obviously its much louder, and the netters can go and chase the fish down and catch it. But there is hope since there are massive breeding ponds that produce tonnes of arapaima meat for the market, as stated above they are a very fine eating fish!

Live baiting would be the most obvious way of catching them i think. Another thing for those stingray fisherman if they exist, there are also giant rays in the amazon pretty cool i recon, now those would go nuts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    I think the name amongst the locals is "What da F...k was dat" I believe the lure is called a 12guage Shotgun..........

Hahahahaha cracker mate, made me laugh!

Cammo

Be fun getting one of those in your cast net while chasing prawns

Cheers Foxie