Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another 130+cm Tinaroo Barra

Another 130+cm Tinaroo Barra

Here's a pic (hope it works ) of a 134cm Tinaroo fish that was caught last week by Atherton Local Mal Muir. The fish was caught on a Live Mouth Almighty using 15kg line (just going by the report in the paper!).

Girth went 94cm whilst weight wise is what 32.5kg, so she knew how to put on the pounds!

Here's the pic... make your own mind up as to if it really is 134cm... I reckon his done the old measure over rather then measure under, but none-the less a good chunk of Silver!

Wonder if I can get my 130 next week?

Theo
    TT

Re: Another 130+cm Tinaroo Barra

big fish mate but what would you do with it? eat it? stuff it and put it on the mantel? dance around it naked? you know flanies are back in vogue.
    cheers..........
    take a feed & leave the rest to breed

What an absolute shame...........No further comment...............Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

sorry guys.
    your rite. just a bit of stirring to keep it interesting. no harm meant.
    cheers...........
    take a feed & leave the rest to breed

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyb View Post
    you know flanies are back in vogue.
    cheers..........
    So I hear! ... plus Stubbies, red Pluggers, dusty & ancient fishing Caps and killing beautiful Barra. Surely you can't get more mannly then that, can you? Common breed up here... if it ain't dead it ain't right in their minds.

Whitto... crying shame I know. Sometimes I fear every Barra that gets caught here gets knived, or thrown up the bank. There are good blokes up here though... we try and catch them all and when Boated we quickly show them a small Paper Guide of 'Not to Do's'! e.g. avoid 'Lollies' with rusty single shank hooks through them. We do our best.

Cheers

Theo
    TT

With oil prices being the way they are .... I'm guessing that they are fishing for the big ones to supply an oil refinery

What would you do with it ?

Nagg

not even worth commenting on, photo speaks for it's self.
    Hero 's . [ couldn't help myself]

look like they from the deep south stairin at a catfish dont they,,why does the tackle store even display this in the paper..he/she should be one of the main
    preachers of C&R....

Awesome photo....thankyou FNQ flannel brigade, all those fingerlings will be safe now that evil fish has been removed!!

Wow, Willie Mason was right, we are full of rednecks!! I am suprised the photo wasn't taken hanging from a road sign....it may as well have been!!!

You have to joke about it....what else can you do??

Steve.

I made comment on this a few days ago (re the Murray Cod), and I've managed to refine my thoughts a little further...

It is legal to take this fish, yes? If you think it shouldn't be, you are lobbying Fisheries, yes?

Hopefully those who think this fish shouldn't be taken are not the same ones who think the Law should cut them slack in a myriad of situations where they think the edges are grey. Like fillets on boats, crabs under the seats, squire in the sambos, and so on, and so on...

If I caught a fish like that and I thought I could use it, I wouldn't want someone jumping out and telling me what I could or couldn't do with it. That person is a watermelon (green outside, red underneath). If it ended up in the garbage, yep, it's a waste. But in the freezer? The BBQ? The table at the local Salvo's soup kitchen? Who knows? We have very little information with which to judge these poor lumberjacks.

I agree with both perspectives, to a point. Let's just have a balanced view, huh? Hopefully after eating that much fish their brains may even develop enough to realise the shirts just have to go?

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Talking Re: Another 130+cm Tinaroo Barra

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy;84536
    If it ended up in the garbage, yep, it's a waste. But in the freezer? The BBQ? The table at the local Salvo's soup kitchen? Who knows? We have very little information with which to judge these poor lumberjacks.

I agree with both perspectives, to a point. Let's just have a [I
    balanced view[/I], huh? Hopefully after eating that much fish their brains may even develop enough to realise the shirts just have to go?

Cheers,

Tim
    They havent bleed it and looks like they are home out in the back yard. If the barra was meant for the table, i think their taste in clothing is alot better then their fish handling practices....

Got a question for you impoundment mob (just a question, please don't take it as a challenge).

If barra in impoundments are there as a result of a put and take fishery then the sustainability of that fishery can be managed from both ends (inputs and outputs) as opposed to a natural fishery where the outputs is the only real way to manage it. Basically one fish out equals one fish in and the status quo is maintained, a bit simplistic I know because there are other factors to be considered as well but the the dual management strategies applies.

Add to this the fact that large fish are not a part of the input process but could be a part out the output process by gobbling up other fish .

On that basis I'm a bit unsure as to why it's frowned on for keeping large fish caught out of an impoundment? I understand the reasons with respect to a wild fishery but what what are the reasons when it comes to impoundments. I would have thought that there would be allowances for a certain number of mortalities every year and stocking to be adjusted to suit.

Having said this I'm taking the view that the fish is eaten but understand that this doesn't happen all the time.

Interested to hear your views

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    Got a question for you impoundment mob (just a question, please don't take it as a challenge).

If barra in impoundments are there as a result of a put and take fishery then the sustainability of that fishery can be managed from both ends (inputs and outputs) as opposed to a natural fishery where the outputs is the only real way to manage it. Basically one fish out equals one fish in and the status quo is maintained, a bit simplistic I know because there are other factors to be considered as well but the the dual management strategies applies.

Add to this the fact that large fish are not a part of the input process but could be a part out the output process by gobbling up other fish .

On that basis I'm a bit unsure as to why it's frowned on for keeping large fish caught out of an impoundment? I understand the reasons with respect to a wild fishery but what what are the reasons when it comes to impoundments. I would have thought that there would be allowances for a certain number of mortalities every year and stocking to be adjusted to suit.

Having said this I'm taking the view that the fish is eaten but understand that this doesn't happen all the time.

Interested to hear your views

I'm with you on this one. I think it is a case of jealousy, the c&r nazi's just havn't caught one that big, and are pissed that someone else has.

If they have paid their anual SIP to fish in the dam, they sort of actually own that fish since it costs what, 30c for a barra fingerling and we pay $30 for the sip.

BTW, My largest barra was 124 out of awwonga, it was taken, and it was quite good to eat. Fed the extended family for a few weeks.

Brad.

Morning,
    When will these working class types realise that how one dresses and presents ones self whilst fishing is of a great importance and dictates ones standing in the greater fishing community at large.
    Surely the government could set up some sort of Fishing Fashion police to enforce some sort of dress code.
    Shimano and G loomis make range of clothing which is far more suitable perhaps the government could even look at some sort of rebate subsidy to assist these types of people in purchasing a more socially acceptable type of outdoor clothing.
    I think also that the more prominant members of the fishing community should also lead by example as to what is suitable attire to wear when going fishing .
    Recently an older chap quite well known in the greater fishing community published a book on the art of Barramundi fishing with his photo on the front cover wearing a singlet and red rag tied around his neck. I mean he looked like one of those shearer types that you see out west.
    Now a nice shimano chambre shirt and hat with logo of course would have set a far more presentable image on the front cover

Gary

Sir Winston Churchill called sarcasm "The lowest form of wit." I believe he was being sarcastic! I love some of the stuff I'm seeing here!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.