Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another 130+cm Tinaroo Barra

Re: Another 130+cm Tinaroo Barra

If they have paid their anual SIP to fish in the dam, they sort of actually own that fish since it costs what, 30c for a barra fingerling and we pay $30 for the sip.

BTW, My largest barra was 124 out of awwonga, it was taken, and it was quite good to eat. Fed the extended family for a few weeks.
    Yes I suspected there was a cost attached to fishing impoundments, I guess that's what you're referring to as the SIP. So it could be seen as a bit like going to the shop to buy some fish for tea, you just have to catch it first.

Nearly makes us predators again doesn't it, is beef next

I think it is a case of jealousy, the c&r nazi's just haven't caught one that big, and are pissed that someone else has.
    Sorry, don't agree on this one, I'm sure there's a better reason that's why I asked, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. Just don't know what it is, hence I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by mungindi View Post
    Morning,
    When will these working class types realise that how one dresses and presents ones self whilst fishing is of a great importance and dictates ones standing in the greater fishing community at large.
    Surely the government could set up some sort of Fishing Fashion police to enforce some sort of dress code.
    Shimano and G loomis make range of clothing which is far more suitable perhaps the government could even look at some sort of rebate subsidy to assist these types of people in purchasing a more socially acceptable type of outdoor clothing.
    I think also that the more prominant members of the fishing community should also lead by example as to what is suitable attire to wear when going fishing .
    Recently an older chap quite well known in the greater fishing community published a book on the art of Barramundi fishing with his photo on the front cover wearing a singlet and red rag tied around his neck. I mean he looked like one of those shearer types that you see out west.
    Now a nice shimano chambre shirt and hat with logo of course would have set a far more presentable image on the front cover

Gary

I'm sure Rod has been severely reprimanded over the years for his dress sense ...... However as he falls into the "ILL" class (Iconic Living Legend) , we allow Rod to do as he wishes
    Besides Rod could market his own products ...... Knotted dog T shirts & Bionic braid red rags ........ doesn't do much for sun protection though!

Cheers

Nagg

Rather wear a flano than a shimano shirt

Cheers Foxie

and i'm not lieing through my tooth

Quote Originally Posted by udlman View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I think it is a case of jealousy, the c&r nazi's just havn't caught one that big, and are pissed that someone else has.

If they have paid their anual SIP to fish in the dam, they sort of actually own that fish since it costs what, 30c for a barra fingerling and we pay $30 for the sip.

BTW, My largest barra was 124 out of awwonga, it was taken, and it was quite good to eat. Fed the extended family for a few weeks.

Brad.
    Brad,

Its not the keeping of the fish which I am having a dig at, IT IS THE PHOTO. A dead fish lying in the back yard, cant even see to full size or shape, couple of blokes hovering over it not even smiling (id be happy with that fish!) . just an ordinary crap photo in my opinion, which shouldn't be on the front page of a newspaper IMHO. A trophy fish like that deserves a better photo than that, regardless of apparel worn!!....surely you would agree?? I love my Flanos!! I have one on now!!

As for jealousy??? mate, I have got 2 fish bigger than that in the last month. I didnt even have a shimano shirt on either...well not for one fish anyway If thats 134cm I will eat my flano!!! I am glad your 124 fed the family. good on you. At least you didnt throw it up the bank.

Dick you are too right, Its all put and take, everyone is entiltle to take fish within the law. I couldnt agree more. You need fish to be taken to create the righ balance in the ecosystem. Its really indepth scientific debate which has been done plenty of times before. As you said, salties are a different story, these fish being the breeders.
    Steve

PS: Barra fingerlings are about 80c -$1 landed, depending on size, and only have a survival rate of about 30%.

To be honest I would rather talk about the Flano's at the moment....apparently they are comimg back as a Fashion statement...the killer is and wait for it, I paid $7.00 for my flano's and according to A Current Affair the cost of the latest fashion flano trend will put u back around $140.00.........Why didn't I see this coming I could have bought up on the Woolies $7.00 specials and make a killing selling them at half the price.....No bugger it $140.00.......Damn this IBD it mucks with you head (thats not a type o mucks was the sort after word)
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Wow...unbelievable

How can so many people make judgment over this photo.

Firstly...it may be just a photo taken in there own back yard....anyone could have submitted it to the newspaper. Maybe they didn't want this to happen.

Maybe the fish was hooked deeply and sustained to much injury for release.

Fact....its not against the law to keep a fish for the table. It is after all, a put and take fishery.

And who knows how long it had been there on the grass....maybe only a short time. We dont know how the fish was kept prior to the photo.

May be the guys aren't smiling because they too are sorry to see the demise of such a beautiful fish???

Who cares what these guys are wearing...does it really matter!!!

I think its fair to say that the majority of fisherman these days practice C&R...myself included.....but we need to remember that there is a flip side to the story, those that may wish to take a fish for the table....legal and practical!!!

I don't think we should pass judgment over a photo that really doesn't say too much, other than show the passing of a lovely fish....for what ever reason.

A picture says a thousand words...true...however it may also leave a lot of questions!!!

Nomad

nope, dont reckon thats 130, + I like flanos, very versatile shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by udlman View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I think it is a case of jealousy, the c&r nazi's just havn't caught one that big, and are pissed that someone else has.

Brad.

Heres a way of lookin at it, each time I release a fish, that lessens the impact of a 5 fish per person in possession limit, gives the poor angler who desperately needs to feed his family a dam barra the chance to catch one of my cpr's, or who knows, maybe a like minded fisho might catch the fish again and, gasp - brace yourself now, release it as well
    Last edited by BR65; 21-06-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: thought better of my response

while Im at it, Im over the term "c&r nazi" as well, thats an easy throw away line uttered with out any regards to other peoples preferences to how they fish, youve kept a barra to eat, I think I will just refer to you now as a "kill the fish nazi", how do you like that brand??

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad62 View Post
    Wow...unbelievable

How can so many people make judgment over this photo.

Firstly...it may be just a photo taken in there own back yard....anyone could have submitted it to the newspaper. Maybe they didn't want this to happen.

Maybe the fish was hooked deeply and sustained to much injury for release.

Fact....its not against the law to keep a fish for the table. It is after all, a put and take fishery.

And who knows how long it had been there on the grass....maybe only a short time. We dont know how the fish was kept prior to the photo.

May be the guys aren't smiling because they too are sorry to see the demise of such a beautiful fish???

Who cares what these guys are wearing...does it really matter!!!

I think its fair to say that the majority of fisherman these days practice C&R...myself included.....but we need to remember that there is a flip side to the story, those that may wish to take a fish for the table....legal and practical!!!

I don't think we should pass judgment over a photo that really doesn't say too much, other than show the passing of a lovely fish....for what ever reason.

A picture says a thousand words...true...however it may also leave a lot of questions!!!

Nomad
    Nomad,

I dont care that its dead....for whatever reason, its all legal. Its just a s#$t photo in my eyes, others may go ooooh nice photo. Thats their choice. Not smiling because they are sad about the demise of the fish.......do you honestly beleive that

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Nomad,

I dont care that its dead....for whatever reason, its all legal. Its just a s#$t photo in my eyes, others may go ooooh nice photo. Thats their choice. Not smiling because they are sad about the demise of the fish.......do you honestly beleive that

Steve
    Steve

Dunno what they are thinking.....i'm just not prepared jump to any
    conclusions....after all, its just a photo.

Nomad

When was fishing a fashion? If there is a fashion out there, good luck to them. I'm happy to poke along and enjoy the Aussie spirit in no shoes, footy shorts and floppy old hat that keeps the sun off my noggin with a slip slop slapping of suncream that looks like war paint.
    Legendary status on the front cover of that book in Aussie attire is pure raw Australia. He looked just like what was described too. A bit more work hardened than the majority in those pretty shirts.
    Go the yobbo look. The same person exists underneath whatever clothing choice. I drive a busted old ute. Should I own a super flash one?
    Johnny

johnny, the real question is do you "want" a super flash ute.
    I think the flano references were a bit of a p#ss take by the boys
    youve seen more big fish than all of us, whats your guestimate on the length
    cheers
    brian

I see the pi** take re Flano, love it.
    All good. I should have clarified. I just added my bit about Mr 'H', (the shearer) and noting that real Aussie spirit is often identified in simple form and not by the shirt on the back. I've never seen fashion in fishing. If there is fashion in fishing, it isn't fishing, it's fashion. We have cat fish but no cat walk!
    Open some history books on Australian fishing for the real Aussie fishing clobber. Love those shots from 30 yrs ago.
    It is a big barra that Tinaroo fish. It's all that needs to be said. Must be some big ones in that water. Stocking now dates back bloody years. Old utes rock, but sadly mine will go this year.
    Cheers,
    JM

You guys that agree to the killing of this huge barra are idiots, they taste like crap and geez who really kills such a beautiful animal. how bout i go round ur place and drive a 8/0 through ur mouth and slap u on the bbq, don't think u'd like it, thats how i see it anyway. I am really discusted to see that.

OK .... I'll bite on the fashion stakes! ...... With out really considering what anyone else thinks ...... I do buy clothes specifically for fishing ...... We owe a lot to the Columbia clothing company !!!! Shirts that offer good UV protection , have exceptional breath-ability / heat dissipation ...&.. Is comfortable
    convertible pants that dry quickly & you can rip off the legs to turn them to shorts! ...... It has nothing to do with branding or being trendy , its about what is practical for fishing!
    Are stubbies & a cotton tee shirt that we wore many years ago practical today ...... when we can buy gear that is fit for purpose? ...... I certainly don't think so!
    I fish from the tropics to Alpine regions ........ & I will wear what is appropriate for these environments ....... If they are branded , so be it! ..... If they are ex military , so be it ! ........ some might call it a W_nk .......... so be it!

Nagg

PS ..... some guys that I know who knocked the so called trendy gear are now wearing it