Thread: Chook Gut

Chook Gut

Just wondering where people get their chook gut from. I'm off to the pin next week on a houseboat and keen to use some to try and get some bream. Are you able to just get it from bait and tackle stores?
    thanks, Nicko

Re: Chook Gut

Hey Nicko,

Yeh you can buy the gut from most bait stores. I think it usually has some special smelly stuff (cnt memba name) on it to attract fish aswell. I find it too messy to work with and would stick to a prawn anyday but its worth a try as i have heard it gets results.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Perhaps a poultry abbatoir would sell you some, or even a bulk lot that you could freeze??

Dave

mate give cooked steak a go and also raw chicken breast, these kill the bream and also after a bit of rain the catties for some reason don't hit the steak. the raw chicken is also good on flathead, just cut the chicken into strips and steak into cubes. i used the chicken gut a go before and got all this shit everywhere so i have never used it since. so go give it a go and nail them bream.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Try some chicken thighs, tough with a bit of colour.

Cut into strips and will catch Bream. I have caught bream, cod, morwong, squire/snapper, flathead sweetlip and just about anything will have a go at it.

Prepared an packed into small packages wiil keep for a long time.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Not messy and easily obtained.

Nicko,
    If your a smoker it will be a good time to give up, you won't be able to put your hands anywhere near your nose. Cant understand why they need to add fish attractant.

By all means give the stuff a go, bream love it,

be ready for the missus to ban you until you can get the smell off your hands, which isn't easy....

I've been toying with the idea of sending down a big ball of the stuff for a big snapper.......but still haven't tried it.

Muzz

Quote Originally Posted by jerson View Post
    Nicko,
    If your a smoker it will be a good time to give up, you won't be able to put your hands anywhere near your nose. Cant understand why they need to add fish attractant.

Hey,

Ive just done a search and the stuff that i said is added onto it and the stuff is called aniseed oil,

"aniseed oil is extracted from the seeds of the herb Pimpinella anisum (also known as P. officinale and vulgare), of the Umbelliferae family. It has a pungent liquorice-like smell and is also known as anise and sweet cumin."

Most packets of chook gut you have these days have this stufff already premixed into it.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Quote Originally Posted by Gold_Coast_Chaser View Post
    Hey,

Ive just done a search and the stuff that i said is added onto it and the stuff is called aniseed oil,

"aniseed oil is extracted from the seeds of the herb Pimpinella anisum (also known as P. officinale and vulgare), of the Umbelliferae family. It has a pungent liquorice-like smell and is also known as anise and sweet cumin."

Most packets of chook gut you have these days have this stufff already premixed into it.
    The aniseed isn't for the fish, it's for the fisherman, good idea

get it from the GEM bait N tackle on the way to the pin at stapleton