Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: For the boys with all the toys

For the boys with all the toys

Hi Ausfishers, like a lot of other folk on this site I have the four wheel drive (twin cab hilux ) , the 16 foot seafarer , the camping gear, ALL the fishing gear, the rifles and every other outdoor item known to mankind, remember he who dies with the most toys wins the game of life .

In the past, from long term friends I have only ever asked for their share of the fuel costs for trips away, cheap trip I reckon. With the current cost of fuel etc and all other anciliaries things are starting to bite cost wise.

Last weekend I staked a tyre chasing pigs in the bush which cost me $250 to replace - bugger, plus the fuel to Goondiwindi, food etc. Three days away for me and two "mates". Their cost $70 each, my cost $310, remember I supply basically everything, I know still a pretty cheap trip away, trouble is I go away every few weekends. They jump in their car when we get home and say thanks mate see you next time. I have to clean the mud, fishing gear, guns, camping gear and all the other stuff (takes me two days).

My question is is this, I know others take "mates" away but I am a bit sick of sponsoring peoples weekends away when all they do is chip in for fuel. Fifty percent of the time things happen and extra costs sometimes in the hundreds of dollars happen which I seem to always bear.

What are others rules on trips away with mates and the costs people have to pay??

I'm very interested

Craig

Re: For the boys with all the toys

Well for me its just fuel atm cause all me and my mates do is go fishing and all we pay is fuel. but im sur ethat will all change soon.

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

My mates come out pay half fuel and have free range at my tackle box But start loosing a few Jap hardbodies and ive got my hand out. Alot of my mates use my rods aswell and ive had a couple of loomies go over the side You loose it, your about to buy it is a firm policy in my boat.

Most of my mates hang around and help wash the boat and gear. If they dont want to help clean up they dont offen come back out.

Whytey
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

rules is rules. if your taking them out and they are using your gear, it's good curtosy to stay and help clean up. if i were you i'd be setting down the law before these freeloaders start whinging when next time u ask them to stay and help clean.

obvioulsy you wouln't expect them to give $$$ for the busted wheel, but cleaning the equiptment is a must.

if a mate of mine lost a rod over the side i'd have my hand out, as for lures, well that would depend on the lure.

my 2c

The only time I have had trouble is where I haven't had the talk before we go out.

We usually work on split the cost and split the catch, any prize catches stay with who pulled them.

Doing it this way everyone seems comfy doing their bit which can include doing a stint off the rods as you keep the boat in position over the fish.

- Darren

Craig - before you loose a mate over any of it make sure they are aware of what you are thinking regarding the costs and cleaning etc

Maybe they are just unaware ??

If they are and still dont care then you are probably better off without them tagging along.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    Well for me its just fuel atm cause all me and my mates do is go fishing and all we pay is fuel. but im sur ethat will all change soon.

Cammo

just as well u dont have to go halves in my "damages in the hilux aye cam"
    "True Blue"

Quote Originally Posted by Why-ting View Post
    My mates come out pay half fuel and have free range at my tackle box But start loosing a few Jap hardbodies and ive got my hand out. Alot of my mates use my rods aswell and ive had a couple of loomies go over the side You loose it, your about to buy it is a firm policy in my boat.

Most of my mates hang around and help wash the boat and gear. If they dont want to help clean up they dont offen come back out.

Whytey
    hey Whytey i promise i will do all of the above.
    "True Blue"

I have my own guns and will pay halfs in everything for the privelige of been takin to someone else's block to have a shot. If there not prepared to do that there are plenty of ssaa members like myself that would gladly jump in there spot.

Craig ..... You raised one of the toughest questions to answer & for me your timing is spot on
    A mate rang me tonight & announced that his missus was going away to Europe next year & that he would have 6 weeks to head north with me to do some wilderness barra fishing ....... Cool , but its my boat , car etc etc

So .... for me , Its a case of splitting the costs of the trip - Fuel ( car & boat) accommodation , food , drinks etc........ & No one should never have a issue with this!!!!!!!
    Other costs ....... Car service / Boat Service / trailer service ... prior to a trip ! ( for me .... we are talking 3000-5000km trips which equate to $600-$700 even before you leave) Can you really ask anyone to pitch in ? Not really IMO ..... because what would be the cost without a crew ? ..... would it be possible to do the trip on your own ? ....... & would you want to do the trip on your own ???.

I guess in a perfect world ..... your mates might look after the accommodation , food & grog .......... I do this with my brothers when we travel up to the Snowies trout fishing! ...... If I drive ..... I wont pay for grog , food .... Mackas on the way there & back!
    In the end ....... Your mates should offer something that either makes your trip more enjoyable .... easier
    But it clearly isn't a perfect world

Nice if you can be part of someones crew ... hey

Nagg

It's a toughy. Where do you draw the line?

I expect an equal share in fuel.

I don't worry about the service costs ($7 per engine hour on a 250 Verado)

Fuel pump replaced the other day - $300, but that's mine. (Digging shale at the ramp)

Fish get shared.

Depreciation? No

Tyres? No

Rego? No

If my kit gets lost over the side I'd expect replacement, but that's never happened.

If you don't pitch in at cleaning time, you will have very dry feet for the rest of your life...

And when I get my next boat? I think it'll be different, because it will be much bigger....
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Yeah lay it on the line first about what they have to pay for. Most of these sorts of "friends" don't own anything themselves so I guess they don't realise the costs... or they are too tight to own anything or fork out for expenses.

It is probably a bit much to ask them to pay for services etc only expenses occurred on trip. That way they look after your gear more!

Your mates should definitely be sticking around to do their share of the cleaning up. If you're concerned about their safety with handling the gun cleaning, just do that yourself after they've gone. Cleaning the camping gear and the 4wd should be shared.

As for the cost of the tyre, my mates would offer to contribute toward the cost regardless. You probably should talk it all out before you go, and reach agreement, then there are no excuses.

Anyone who does not want to help can stay at home next time.

Cheers
    BBB

I have recently found the answer for this delemer.I became a guide on Fraser and Moerton island, so instead of taking my car I take the bosses .Ditched the mates got some backpackers ,can fish and surf when I want .Best of all I come home and recieve money instead of forking out. I actually like working now

Too easy Craig.
    1/3 the total costs from the trip, plus help out with the cleaning etc, if required.
    Excellent advice from Greg P and BBB IMO.
    Frankly Craig, they shouldn't need to be asked about these issues, they should be asking you what you want.
    Personally it would be a matter of 'honour' to ensure I did my share and more, under the circumstances you describe.
    Perhaps I have learned the values of money, hard work and friendship.......
    I would have too agree that these issues can be damned vexing.........sometimes it is a whole lot easier just to go by yourself, that way you carry all the responsibility and call all the shots.
    Cheers.