Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: For the boys with all the toys

Re: For the boys with all the toys

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    buying company Scott ???

One of the most mean spirited posts ive ever seen on Ausfish!!!! Comes across as you'd charge your grandmother petrol for a trip down to the local shops!!!.. entry fee for one of your home bbqs Scott?

its called choice and respect, its not that hard, if you all agree to what costs/duties etc whichever way it works out, your on the same page.

and just so you know: I go out with mates who divide all the costs (fuel, bait travelling etc) and with mates who dont, its pretty easy, its called Communication and on my boat I dont care as Im going out anyway, only bugger who pays is my brother

hate mean spirited posts,

Mike
    Yeah OK Mike....point taken....it sure was mean spirited....Greg sounds like a great host so good on him if he wants to take some company out for a day on the water.His boat and his life so he can do as he pleases.

However, the point I was actually trying to make is best summed up by Mr Bean's post below as this is the style of fishing I also do...where a day out costs upward of $200 and I dont know ONE person who regularly takes totally non-contributing deckies on such trips.....

I do at times take out some people who I understand really cant afford the required gear and associated costs but I receive in return a variety of rewards in the form of a day's labour if I need a hand in the business ie I need to pour a shed slab next weekend and a couple of blokes I have taken out and I paid for the trip have offered their services.
    ....I have also taken out around 10 or 12 young Wwoofers of different nationalities who have stayed with us and given us a hand over the last 3 years or so, and of course footed the bills...
    ....another guy who I have taken out and knocked back payment a couple of times and I also drop a fish off his place after trips,well he regularly drops off bags of fruit and veg that he grows.
    ....another neighbor I also drop off fish too is great about lending me his concrete mixer,extension ladder or giving me a ride into town when my car is being serviced.

So,Mike, it's not just about the money.....its about making a genuine contribution in one form or another regardless of ones financial situation...in other words sharing...to me not to contribute would be akin to rocking up to a barbie with no beer and emptying the hosts fridge...only going to happen once.

Oh well, me and my mean spirit are going to take my kids for a fish down the creek now...wonder if I should bill them now or later .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post
    Hmmmm,

Plenty of emotion coming through...

Do keep in mind that the guys posting on here have a wide variety of costs when going out for the day.

For those fishing relatively close and in fuel efficient boats then the total cost can be relatively low for the day $50 to $100, whereas the guys that are travelling vast distances to get the crew out onto the best of the available reefs then their cost can quite easily mount up to $300 to $400 (or more) for the day.

I know for me a day out soon adds up.
    - fuel to tow Brisbane to Mooloolaba return $50
    - boat fuel for about 130km's around $200
    - bait $40
    - Ice $15
    - lost knife jigs @ $25 to $35 each
    - couple of roast chooks, some bread rolls and coleslaw etc $25

It doesn't take long to get up to $400 for a really good day out offshore (god I hope she doesn't see this ).

So, for some it's not about buying mates or about being a tight ar$e, it's about being able to talk about it together as mates and sharing the load so that you can all afford to be able to do it again as soon as possible.

- Darren
    Darren's post sums up the position of most reef fisherman I know.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Next thing we will see is a sign on the boat stating deckie fees payable in advance ???
    Yes it is getting a little on the expensive side to catch a fish, but it is still one of most brain releasing tension exercises about.
    If its coming to the crunch that your more worried about whose going to foot the bill then enjoying the trip, i would take up bowls ???
    If someone offers to pay a nominal fee to help support the trip so be it, but i dont get back to the ramp and immediately stick my mit out expecting compensation.
    regards
    Don't laugh ..... a mate already does it! & to be honest , I don't blame him!
    If he takes 1 or 2 blokes out with him & his son fishing for yellow fin tuna ...... the cost of the day can be pretty high ........ @ $50 for car fuel , $300 boat fuel & $100 for bait/ burley ( pilchards for cubing) ........ Now asking for $100 to me is not unreasonable ..... specially if they come home with a 30kg YFT ....... Now he has a few people that would kill their grandmother for a day out ....... because they know what it would cost them for a charter! ...... so they pay up or don't go! .... simple
    On the flip side ..... my normal local trips , I never ask & never expect a thing ...... I would be going out regardless ...... I provide the food, everything ....... If someone comes with me .... they do so as my guest! ...... I dont have a regular crew or need one....... & besides how can I ask for $10
    As for major trips ...... That is a different story ! These are planned well in advance , accom booked & even expected fuel usage worked out .......... ! The last couple of trips , my mate has deposited into my bank account his estimated share! No arguements ...... you just go away & enjoy the trip!

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I would respectfully suggest,Greg,that
    you are not representative of most fisherman that travel vast distances in the pursuit of a good haul of offshore reef-fish ......I would say you are a boaty rather than a fisho and if you want to buy company then goodonya, but most of us dont like sponsoring bludgers.

scott
    well Scott..now you have me in the proverbial..I took a fishing mate out for an overnighter last night...about an hours drive each way from home...only estuary fishing..not much boat fuel used..some bait and ice purchased. Got back home today, did some quick maths...told the fishing mate how much I was owed for the trip...I said I was no longer sponsoring bludgers...now she says i have to cook my own meals, do my own washing and ironing and am lucky to be even allowed into the house. See the trouble you get me into!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's priceless PH.

I'd love to try it but am not game.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermullet View Post
    That's priceless PH.

I'd love to try it but am not game.
    So that's where I went wrong

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    well Scott..now you have me in the proverbial..I took a fishing mate out for an overnighter last night...about an hours drive each way from home...only estuary fishing..not much boat fuel used..some bait and ice purchased. Got back home today, did some quick maths...told the fishing mate how much I was owed for the trip...I said I was no longer sponsoring bludgers...now she says i have to cook my own meals, do my own washing and ironing and am lucky to be even allowed into the house. See the trouble you get me into!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Very clever Greg .

I must live in paradise

10km to beach launch, say $5 for return trip

duck around the front a couple of km off shore, catch bait and fish 4lt fuel @ $1.50 = $6

Ice comes out of the freezer guess 50c

wash boat, couple hundred lt of water, guess 60c

rego insurance etc who cares that is part of owning a boat
    now the mates share is $6

and they get a great feed of fish and usually more than 1/2 share as I usually always have some in the freezer

Cheers Murf

PS Darren let me know what the costs are and I am happy to share for a days outing, it is a bit scary though when I am used to only going a few km to you going out 80km

here fishy fishy fishy

Well what about holding ones head up, self respect and all of that stuff, I cannot deckie on a boat I cannot pay my way on, just doesn't seem right and a little uncomfortable too.

Way back when fuel was 20 something cents a litre we would still all pay our way so it's not a new thing related to the cost of living these days.

Of coarse there are caveats like family, thankyou's, old mates visiting and in kind arrangements yada yada yada.

cheers fnq

Good on ya pihead , thats game fishing .
    Most blokes will offer to chip in , I have a couple of blokes I go out with regularlly and they pay their share and a bit as they say I paid the money to get the boat serviced and ready and thay are quite happy to come out even if it is a slow day , they even tow the boat to the ramp on occassion , have another mates father I'll take out for nix as he has some great spots and I get to mark them when we go.
    But clean up at the end is always the rule , that is fish and boat , one mate is really good at filleting so he'll start that while I clean up and and most times he finishes first. Don't like to leave squid to dry on the boat hard to get off.

When we go up the cape fishing or to lakefield very rare not to go in our own vehicle sounds like selfish but we carry a fridge each , plus all the creature comforts ,got to make it comfortable now .
    One boat between two and the bloke not carrying the boat carries more fuel which is a share cost for the boat fuel , but the car is your cost as is exspenses like tyres as you are the only one in the car .

Greg

Here's an example of another type of guy;

I asked a mate with much more experience than me to come out with me out to his spots , which he was happy to share. On the way back he offers me a 50 , which would have been about half the fuel. I had also taken my son.
    I politely refused and he decides that he'd buy dinner on the way home instead.
    Dinner was 30 bucks and I thought we were all done .
    Just going through my tackle box and I find a 20 neatly stashed away.
    He is the other kind of guy. Everyone gets a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Brendan

Do you;
    Let a dog bite you twice?
    Stick your finger in the fire a second time to be sure it is hot?
    Take a bludger on a second trip?

Answer to all 3 questions is NO

Mate and I have a simple solution, my ute his boat, his ute my boat or if own car and boat other pays fuel. byo drinks and one buys food for an overnight or extended trip and cost split. Help cleanup and unpack on return while having a quiet beer and discussing the next trip.

We started school together 50 years ago and are still best mates. After all the years of fishing and shooting trips, borrowing money off each other in hard times and forgetting to pay it back { never asked for either} who cares who owes who what.

True mates are hard to find and I am lucky to have a mate like him, But not as lucky as he is to have a MATE LIKE ME

Hey Craig its a great call!!!!!
    Its my boat my car my bait mainly my plastix etc...
    Ive had my mates for 15 yrs I live on the north side they live on the south side and countless times ive picked them up dropped them off and weve bn fishing in my area of town ud think it would get easier the longer u know someone to talk about this sort of thing 3/4 of the time they dont even chip in 4 petrol and dont get me started about the cleaning!!!! Im only on apprentice wages by the time u ad everything up the cost of going out in a 4.1 tinny with a 30 merc is well over $100 Maybe Im a d*&% head but I would of thought u wouldn't have 2 ask I rop hints but its not enough dont get me wrong I dont need them i can doit al by mysef but its nice 2 have somebody to fish with!!!! MAybe i should advertise a spare spot on my boat Good luck with ur problem!!!

Cheers Simon

hmmm..... i can feel a book of fishing etiquette coming on...
    jen
    Blackjack

The body is evil .... it must be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Next thing we will see is a sign on the boat stating deckie fees payable in advance ???
    Yes it is getting a little on the expensive side to catch a fish, but it is still one of most brain releasing tension exercises about.
    If its coming to the crunch that your more worried about whose going to foot the bill then enjoying the trip, i would take up bowls ???
    If someone offers to pay a nominal fee to help support the trip so be it, but i dont get back to the ramp and immediately stick my mit out expecting compensation.
    regards
    I have seen a sign on the back door of a boat it read

Gas, Grass or Ass Everydody Pays.

Considering the wide range of costs and distance, I think the big question is "would you be going anyway, even if the mate was not?" If you would go anyway, then I couldnt accept money from a mate.

My mates have already done me some big favours, and Ive done them some, saving them $thousands. (I saved a mate 10k only last month). We dont worry about 50-100 bucks. It all evens out in the long run.

Im sure its different for game fishos, but were just mates having a fish. Whats money?

Andrew