Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: For the boys with all the toys

Re: For the boys with all the toys

Quote Originally Posted by Getout View Post
    They fillet the fish while I clean the boat. They offer fuel money but I usually knock it back.
    I spend plenty on fuel, rego insurance maintenance and my fishing mates appreciate it but its not the money, rather the contribution of time and effort to get ready and clean up afterwards, that means most to me.
    do you have a small and economical engine then?

cheers

Mick

Thanks guys. Crestcutter, Scrubba01 and Seahunt in the fullness of time you'll be contacted for the possibility of future trips.

Dogs may be an issue though, as you know generally on country properties running stock, well behaved dogs are OK but it depends on the mood at the time. It would be nice though sometimes to be a passenger.

Craig

I know its a littel of subject but the principle is the same.
    Last year I did a trip to monduran,I drove my Twin cab diesel hilux towing a 14ft tinny,two days on the water etc...,It was a group trip orginised on another forum and met some really great guys.I Took another guy from this forum,picked him up as requested,the electric on my boat didnt work on this particular weekend so I spent most of the weekend with a paddle in my hand so my son and guest could still fish as it was a bit windy,to cut a long story short this guy gave me a total of $15 for the weekend including the camping fees.
    I was pissed off at the time,now I wont take someone I dont know anywhere,My mates are always welcome and they have always paid their way and as for clean up if you play you get to help clean up,my mates all know that.
    There are plenty of people out there willing to take advantage and it is up to you if you cop it or not.

Cheers Craig

I have said it before..and still stick to it...no one pays for anything when they come on my boat with me.... they can bring some food if they wish or some bait but that does not really matter either. I enjoy the company of good friends and don't ask for any money for that.

Quote Originally Posted by catfishkid View Post
    I know its a littel of subject but the principle is the same.
    Last year I did a trip to monduran,I drove my Twin cab diesel hilux towing a 14ft tinny,two days on the water etc...,It was a group trip orginised on another forum and met some really great guys.I Took another guy from this forum,picked him up as requested,the electric on my boat didnt work on this particular weekend so I spent most of the weekend with a paddle in my hand so my son and guest could still fish as it was a bit windy,to cut a long story short this guy gave me a total of $15 for the weekend including the camping fees.
    I was pissed off at the time,now I wont take someone I dont know anywhere,My mates are always welcome and they have always paid their way and as for clean up if you play you get to help clean up,my mates all know that.
    There are plenty of people out there willing to take advantage and it is up to you if you cop it or not.

Cheers Craig
    Craig ....... sometimes you have to wonder what goes through someones mind! ....... Your example is a straight out case of someone who is "CLUELESS!"

Surprisingly there seem to be a lot of "CLUELESS" people out there! ...... they either have no idea .... or deliberately switch off

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I have said it before..and still stick to it...no one pays for anything when they come on my boat with me.... they can bring some food if they wish or some bait but that does not really matter either. I enjoy the company of good friends and don't ask for any money for that.
    I would respectfully suggest,Greg,that
    you are not representative of most fisherman that travel vast distances in the pursuit of a good haul of offshore reef-fish ......I would say you are a boaty rather than a fisho and if you want to buy company then goodonya, but most of us dont like sponsoring bludgers.

scott

Hey Craig

As you mentioned the other day, we have spoken on this subject many times...

These day's most of us are doing it a bit tough, mortgage, fuel, groceries etc, etc, etc.

I would think that a "mate" really should not have to be asked to chip in, let it be fuel, tyre or whatever, most guy's we take out should have a pretty good idea on what it really costs to do trips, let it be boating/fishing, shooting pigs, whatever.

May have to come down to re-evaluating your position with the fella's involved, or, as many others have said, make some firm and fast rules up front.

Equally, I expect crew/mates to help with the cleaning after we get home, it is the right thing to do, what I was taught, what you were taught.

Nice to be able to sponsor crew, however, not many are in that position.

Talk later

Bill

Very good points raised by nigelr...time for some new mates or try a trip by yourself liltuffy,you might be surprised at how much more you and your gear gets respected!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Pinhead sounds like a pretty good host to me anyone he akes on his boat would appreciate the hospitality....and i'd hazard a guess he rarely has any issues with ungrateful passengers...

I'm not sure how inviting friends or family out with you to enjoy a day boating or fishing equates to buying company...

If invite my friends or family round for a bbq and supply steaks salads and wine am i buying company (?)....
    I thought i was hosting friends and/or family who i imagine will end up hosting me before to long.

My 2 cents

Jim

Some posts on this thread make some people sound like bloody 'Lords". If you've got the gear and you want to go and do what you want to do, then do it! If you ask/invite people along, mates or whatever, why are you whingeing that they "don't pay" or "they don't chip in". Some have suggested that they might not be mates after all, but what sort of 'mate' are you to get on here and bitch about them? For crying out loud, and I've said this before as well, if you're relying on your 'mates' to subsidise your hobby then you need to take up something else. IMO. The guy that offered $15??? Maybe he was 'invited' too. And maybe $15 was a real stretch for him depending on his circumstances. For f**ks sake, do some of you guys want Steve Brown to subsidise your power bill for the time you spend on Ausfish?

Just my thoughts

Dave

buying company Scott ???

One of the most mean spirited posts ive ever seen on Ausfish!!!! Comes across as you'd charge your grandmother petrol for a trip down to the local shops!!!.. entry fee for one of your home bbqs Scott?

its called choice and respect, its not that hard, if you all agree to what costs/duties etc whichever way it works out, your on the same page.

and just so you know: I go out with mates who divide all the costs (fuel, bait travelling etc) and with mates who dont, its pretty easy, its called Communication and on my boat I dont care as Im going out anyway, only bugger who pays is my brother

hate mean spirited posts,

Mike
    Tangles KFC

Hmmmm,

Plenty of emotion coming through...

Do keep in mind that the guys posting on here have a wide variety of costs when going out for the day.

For those fishing relatively close and in fuel efficient boats then the total cost can be relatively low for the day $50 to $100, whereas the guys that are travelling vast distances to get the crew out onto the best of the available reefs then their cost can quite easily mount up to $300 to $400 (or more) for the day.

I know for me a day out soon adds up.
    - fuel to tow Brisbane to Mooloolaba return $50
    - boat fuel for about 130km's around $200
    - bait $40
    - Ice $15
    - lost knife jigs @ $25 to $35 each
    - couple of roast chooks, some bread rolls and coleslaw etc $25

It doesn't take long to get up to $400 for a really good day out offshore (god I hope she doesn't see this ).

So, for some it's not about buying mates or about being a tight ar$e, it's about being able to talk about it together as mates and sharing the load so that you can all afford to be able to do it again as soon as possible.

- Darren

I have this "mate" who was very interested in learning soft plastic fishing, so I asked if he had braid spooled up on his reel. To cut a long story short, I was at the tackle shop anyhow, so we agreed I would grab a spool of braid while I was there. I helped put the stuff on, anad provided the necessary backing - everything.

He has been out with me twice since. No money for fuel, and shallow promises to give me money for the spool of braid have all fallen through.

He doesn't ask to come fishing any more. Kinda glad really.

Having said all that, I own the boat and the camper and all the ancilliaries because i enjoy all those things. I don't expect mates to chip in for fuel, because if they were'nt coming with me, I would still be going anyway. Occasional offers are greatfully received, and unpacking and washing the boat after a trip is the pitts doing it yourself. But don't expect me to feed and water you as well, thats over the top.

Scalem

Next thing we will see is a sign on the boat stating deckie fees payable in advance ???
    Yes it is getting a little on the expensive side to catch a fish, but it is still one of most brain releasing tension exercises about.
    If its coming to the crunch that your more worried about whose going to foot the bill then enjoying the trip, i would take up bowls ???
    If someone offers to pay a nominal fee to help support the trip so be it, but i dont get back to the ramp and immediately stick my mit out expecting compensation.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Nauti View Post
    Some posts on this thread make some people sound like bloody 'Lords". If you've got the gear and you want to go and do what you want to do, then do it! If you ask/invite people along, mates or whatever, why are you whingeing that they "don't pay" or "they don't chip in". Some have suggested that they might not be mates after all, but what sort of 'mate' are you to get on here and bitch about them? For crying out loud, and I've said this before as well, if you're relying on your 'mates' to subsidise your hobby then you need to take up something else. IMO. The guy that offered $15??? Maybe he was 'invited' too. And maybe $15 was a real stretch for him depending on his circumstances. For f**ks sake, do some of you guys want Steve Brown to subsidise your power bill for the time you spend on Ausfish?

Just my thoughts

Dave

The $15 didnt even cover the cost of camping fees at monduran let alone fuel costs etc..It was a trip orginised on another forum as stated and i did say I had a spare spot on my boat if anyone was interested,I did not offer to pay other peoples camping fees and an offer of something that covered their personal expenses would have been appreciated,I didnt even get a thankyou at the end,if you can affored to subsidise other peoples fun than that is great but i work hard and long hours to pay for a bit of fun and if I cant afford it I dont expect others to pay for it.

Craig