Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: unmarked crab pots

Re: unmarked crab pots

G'day!

I can imagine that a polystyrene brick or even a ball as sold by tackle shops could have the name printed on a tag on the underside of the float. It would then appear to be unmarked.

Does the law say the labeling has to be visible from a boat?

Ray de R

I've always thought you only had to have your name on the floats, as well as your full details on the pots. A mate who I crab with has his name written in block letters on the floats, so we don't have any problems identifying them. On many occasions we have come back to pull the pots after a day's fishing, and find that other people have put their own pots near ours. With his name printed so clearly on the floats, we have always been able to see which are the correct pots without having to touch anyone else's pots. And if we ever caught you touching ours, justice will be done suddenly and severely.

In tidal waters, when fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner. When not fixed to something they must have a light-coloured surface float attached, not less than 15 cm in any dimension, with the name of the owner clearly inscribed on it.

When fishing for spanner crabs the frame of an inverted dilly must be made of solid steel of a thickness of at least 6 mm and no more than 1 m in each of its dimensions. An inverted dilly net must be multifilament. If a collapsible trap is used it must be made of rigid material and have one or more collapsible sides.

When fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs the person in possession of the apparatus must be at least 15 years old. Regulated crabs must be removed and returned to the water immediately.

The above is copied from the DPI website;

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dp...5_ENA_HTML.htm

Cheers

Dave

The law also very clearly states that no-one, absolutely NO-ONE but an authorised officer can interfere with another person's fishing apparatus.

This subject has been covered before on Ausfish and some quotes were posted from Fisheries law. Might be good to do a quick search so you will know without any doubt at all when you read it yourself.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Keechie View Post
    where were the pots located and when.

regards,
    keechie

They were in one of the small inlets into Bribie and it must have been about 9 or 10 months ago now. I've had mates complain recently aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by THE FLY View Post
    They were in one of the small inlets into Bribie and it must have been about 9 or 10 months ago now. I've had mates complain recently aswell.
    ok just at easter i was fishing up near the boardwalk and i guy had a few pots out for about an hour then thepots went underwater and i did not see them again.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

If someone leaves there car door open and the keys in the ignition is it now fair game? I don't think you would find many police who would agree, stealing is stealing.... If they got caught lifting pots, suck a fat one they deserved it, $2,500 says they won't be so keen to do it again

2 of my unnamed pots got ganked from maroochy river, i also thought if the pots were sunk, and not tied off with rope, they are to be salvaged by anyone. if not what are the salvaging rules?

The rules are.

it is illegal to interfeer with fishing aparatus.

I think one of the problems is that pots are too cheap, I lots of people simply don't bother picking them up.

last time i went for a walk down eprapah creek, I saw 5 or 6 plainly abandoned pots, a couple of the were just rusting hulks.

unfrotunately only the government officers can do anything about them legaly.

cheers