Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TLD25 Vs Tyrnos 30

TLD25 Vs Tyrnos 30

I am tossing up between these two reels. I have all but made my mind up, but would like some input.

The Tyrnos 30:- at $260

A-RB (Anti-Rust Bearings) these specially treated stainless steel ball bearings are at least 10 times more corrosion resistant than standard stainless steel ball bearings.
    • Reduced Profile Top Crossbar provides excellent line control when dropping back baits or lures when trolling.
    • Oversized gears for increased power
    • Diecast Aluminum frame for strength and durability.
    • Oversized handle shank for increased torque
    • Alternating twin pawl anti-reverse design for reliability and hooksetting power.
    • Graphite sideplates with aluminum braces reduce weight while maintaining strength.
    • Ergonomic Rubber Power Grip.
    • Loud clicker has enough tension to hold large baits.
    • Ratcheting drag lever eliminates lever movement due to boat vibration
    • Metal Series metal frames keep moving parts in precise alignment for increased efficiency and durability
    Line Capacity: 600m 15kg
    Gear Ratio: 5 to 1.
    Weight: 1090 grams.

The TLD 25 :- at $180

The TLDs are tough. They feature one-piece graphite/titanium bodies, 4 stainless steel ball bearings, stainless steel gears and main shaft, stainless steel reel foot, ball bearing titanium lever drags and power handles with torpedo knobs. Quality sports fishing reels.
    Line capacity: 600m of 15kg
    Gear ratio: 3.6 to 1
    Weight: 760grams

For me the big difference is the weight. The reel will go onto a 15-24 stick and be used for bottom bashing mainly so it will be in hand most of the time. I also know that there are differences in the TLD range in that some do not have the good bearings in them.

I also know that the ARB's can be sourced from a local retailer for about $6 each which negates the option of the better bearings in the Tyrnos.

I have had a TLD15 for too many years to remember and to this day is holding up well, with minimal maintenance. I just need a bigger outfit to suit the rods I am building and the target fish.

I am not really interested in any other reels, although I have recently purchased a Diawa Sealine 400H that is a good h/duty reel, but again the weight is an issue.

all thoughts welcome.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: TLD25 Vs Tyrnos 30

I have used both reel's and the tyrnos is far smoother but the ol'tld 25 is pretty robust,both reel's are made in malaysia.I have the torrium 30 it has the same finish as the tyrnos and i have some surface corrosion on mine and i look after my reel's pretty well.

If you want it nice and smooth and modern looking and looked after go the tyrnos,if it's gunna get abused banged on the boat and kicked around go the 25.

Dan.

They both seem to be good reels. My old TLD has knocked over all sorts of fish and I could not think of anything other than BIG Sharks or Blue Marlin that would be too much for ir in SEQ waters. The Tyrnos has a better handle length in my opinion but the gearing may work against you on a big fish.
    If you are going to hold it all day the weight could be a factor

Here is something my TLD dragged up a few years ago
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

OK, Neil........ sold.

Where did the bill of that fish end up... looks awefully close to the family jewels ?

Yes, the TLD is the way I am leaning,,,, lightwer weight and robust-ability.. is that a word ????

phill

i own both and find the 30 to be a better reel lot more smoother and the retrievel rate is better to.just my experience regards dale

Phill
    That photo opportunity almost cost me greatly. The fight was pretty hard in 35oC+ and 90% humidity. The fish died about 400m down and I managed to winch it up. It took four of us to pull it onboard and felt dead as a Dodo. I sat down while the pic was taken and the bl#$dy thing came to life and had a fair go at the family jewels. Adrian (Skipjack) and Mick (Ratman) amost did themselves a damage laughing at my reaction

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

G'day Phil,

I found the tld 25 to be a tough reel, but the retireve rate with the standard handle was absolutley hopeless, felt like a whizzer, had to wind the crap out of it. I put a tyrnos handle on it and it is better, but add another $40 to the price, I know reefmaster has a number of tyrnos's, mates that have gone from the TLD to tyrnos wouldn't go back - I think its the retrieve rate as Dale says, and the tyrnos just has more balls so they say.

If I was to go back that way, I'd go with a tyrnos, I still have the tld25s with the tyrnos handles as back up reels, they go O.K. with the extra length on the handle but Iuse a couple of Penn TRQ's these days for ta whole range of fishing including bottom bouncing, live baiting, jigging and trolling, they are not lever drag, but they are lighter than a tyrnos and more compact than a tld with a heap more drag, but more bucks too.

cheers

Rhys

I like the TLD with the Tynos handle with it' lite wgt and power for bottom fishing and Mac trolling, I also use a tynos but for lite tackle Gamefishing with the 5:1 ratio, and an alternative for bottom fishing with braid I have been using the Tokota 800 [levelwind] for 5 years know with no problems. All good, just use what suits your style.

Yeah tyrnos for sure. I have tyrnos 30 but my mate just bought a tyrnos 20 and I think its better as the 30's are a bit wide and tend to rock from side to side while winding up. Tld's are good with a tyrnos handle but id pay the extra mate, tyrnos's are smmmmooootttthhhhh.......

Phill your mad, get the Tyrnos every day of the week. I have 2 * 20 Tyrnos and love them, i'd never go back to a tld. The drags are better, the retrieve is better the handle is better, the strength is better. Personally i think the weight factor is not that bad. I've had tld 15, 20 , 25 and the tyrnos are better by far.

i have got 3 tyrnos 30,s i had two tld's 2 speeds and the tyrnos are so much better in always.i use them for floating trolling and bottom bashing they handle it all with ease'

Hi Phil. There is no comparison.....not sure what the tlds are going for these days, but they would have to be a lot, lot, lot cheaper IMO, that's how good the tyrnos's are.....With regard to weight....I went down to a tyrnos 16 which weighs ~ 800 gram...as i was running braid for float fishing/bottom bashing....if you do need the extra line capacity for mono and trolling, the xtra weight is well worth the smoothness....all the best

Im interested in this as well, also looking at the tyrnos 30, have the TLD 25 and am thinking about the handle upgrade as the handle that comes with them are annoying... was looking at either TLD or Tyrnos 2 speeds for the next Agnes , thing i love about the TLD 25 is the weight though. Is the 2 speed worth it?

mike
    Tangles KFC

thanks guys.

I want to put 50 or 80lb Braid on the reels..... I know what you're saying about the " rocking " Dean...

lampuki... the costs are in my first post.

see, now you have me re-thinking....

Tyrnos 20 are $245........ rated to 10kg and weigh 1055gms....

thinking thinking

Don't mean tho throw a nigger into the woodpile Phil, and i know you didn't watn to open up for alternative suggestions, but have you considered a shimano trinadad? Matt had one on our last trip out and I was pretty impressed with it.

It was a 16 narrow, amazing retrieve ratio, excellent drag and a beautiful weight feel and balance. No idea about price, but it certainly worked exceptionally well for floating baits and bottom bouncing.

cheers

rhys