Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ausfish Barra Diary

Ausfish Barra Diary

Well theres a bass one, well now theres a barramundi one.

So follow the idea of the bass diary and put up as much info as you see fit for all to see.

Nath

Re: Ausfish Barra Diary

Now there's s bloke thinking on his feet.......Good idea Nath....Lets see how much interest is out there in Barraland..........Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Now there's s bloke thinking on his feet.......Good idea Nath....Lets see how much interest is out there in Barraland..........Whitto
    cheers Whitto its mainly for our old mate NAGG save his fingers a little on the keyboard see we are always thinking of ya chris

G'day all,

I'm just wondering is anyone going to submit knowledge to this little diary forum as I'm still learning the ropes in the Impoundment Barra scene and would love to gain as much wisdom from the combined knowledge base of my far more experienced Ausfih brethren when it comes to chasing this awesome sportsfish?

Cheers

Chris

You know what Chris, I was wondering the same thing myself. The barra fishos on here generally arent tooooooooooo secretive, yet no input to the diary?? Maybe they are just lazy typers??
    Maybe as the warmer weather kicks in mate............

my tip is u gotta hav a line in the water for a start
    scott

Sorry but only a salt water Barra fisherman this way

MONDURAN SEPT 12-16

Day 1 - Afternoon session (2-6pm) in fine warm conditions ...... Fished The Cattle yard area for 0 Barra , 1 Catfish ...... Fished with Hardbody lures only .... Water temps 23 deg

Day 2 - All day 7am - 7.30pm ....... Fine & Warm conditions (North wind) ..... Fished up to the Kolan .... 2 fish missed
    Continued fishing bays near the mouth of B. on Sunset - 2 Barra landed (90cm) Slick rigs ...... Tied off fishing timbered point ( several fish missed & jumped off

Day 3 - All day 8am - 8pm ..... Fine & Hot with increasing North winds (Water temps 25 Deg @ 12pm) ..... Fished lower reaches of B with Hardbody lures ( no result)
    12pm Fished exposed points (Tied off) for 2 barra 78-92cm on slick rigs & storm shad plastics .....
    3pm Another fish landed @ 90cm - Slick rigs
    6pm Moonrise bite several jump offs & 1 landed 98cm .... slick rigs Clear conditions slight winds ....... lots of bait activity & free jumping barra

Day 4 - All day 7am- 9pm ..... Fine & Hot (North winds) ..... Water Temps 27 deg
    Fished exposed points in B for 6 barra landed 88-103cm (3 in 10mins) ..... slick rigs & Storm Shads ....... Fish taken through the day + Aggressive Moonrise bite

Day 5 - All day 7am- 9pm ...... Fine hot , slight NE winds ...... Fished exposed points in B for 3 barra landed 70 - 112cm on slick rigs + Several jump offs , missed fish ...... moonrise saw the 112cm barra landed

Regards

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

AWOONGA Sept 17-20

Day 1 Evening session (5-10pm) N winds - Calm Fished main basin bays with 4 barra landed after sunset ( 65-80cm) on slick rigs & Hollow bellies .

Day 2 8am - 2pm ( early morning fog) Day warm NE winds increasing Water temps 25 deg - Spent the morning fishing shallow weed edges with surface lures ...... 4 follows & 2 missed
    12pm .... Fished main basin points on leccy - 4 landed on 130mm Slick rigs 80-100cm
    Afternoon / Evening ...... change boats Fished flooded flats & shallow bay! Several jump off , bust offs & 4 landed 80-90cm ........ Sunset bite saw lots of activity
    Quiet after dark - 9pm ( no moon)

Day 3 ... 10am - 11pm ish Changing conditions NE - E - SE winds ( sunny at times - Overcast)
    fished surface in shallow bay for 2 big follows ...... found lots of big fish in shallows .... no interest
    Moved to fish main basin points in increasing winds (anchored) - 2 barra landed 88-90cm ..... on slick rigs ( evil minnow & black/gold)
    Afternoon - Evening ...... Fished flooded flats / old creek bed 2 fish missed
    relocated & fished shallow wind blown bay - 7 fish landed & several jump offs / break offs during a bite period 3pm - sunset
    Sunset - 11pm benign conditions .... 2 or 3 missed bites & 2 landed 70- 90cm ( 130 slick rigs Evil minnow & Green grunter)

Day 4 .... Fished all day in increasing NE winds Fished exposed Northern points near Dingo Island with 5 fish jumped off ( slick rigs)
    Later relocated to fish previously productive shallow bay (26 deg water temps) 3 landed on slick rigs 70-90cm) ...... 6 fish lost including 2 big fish ( sunset bite productive) ...... fleeing baitfish amongst flooded lantana

Note : Windblown Points were consistent during trip & sunset bite productive in shallow bays ....... late moonrise ( quiet after dark)

Regards

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Monduran 6th 8th October.

Day1.... Arrived Camp site and put Tent together.....sat back and admired our effort....Put in around 1000am went down to Bird Bay and fished around the trees at the enterance of the bay and we were on.....onto Monduran trout that is...2 of the buggars.....The Bear is now blooded...Dear Oh Dear.......Fished all the bays around the Basin with no further activity for the remainder of the Day.

Day2.....Headed north...venturing into the back of White rock and worked everywhere for one paultry bump on a hard head plastic...at this point the wind direction was a Nor easter....moved onto Jacks and has a similar outcome..still a nor easter......Up to B with the nor easter blowing straight into it (ideal)....travelled down the south arm as far as we could go found some nice wind swept points tied up and hammered the new weed growth points Hard bodies after Hard bodies.....Lets try the SP's Hard nose and Slick rigs and it was like a switch had been turned on.....woompa 3 Barra in an 1hour all babies the first was 63 the second 74 and the last 75.....these fish Im guessing were a release no more than a couple of years ago water temp was 26c......The wind direct changed three time during the hour I was there..from Nor East..then SW and changed again to SE it was all over the place...it was the Nor easter that made the difference in my opinion.....Great fun none the less with plenty of attitude....all put back to play another day.....soft plastics did the damage they were not interested in HB's at all.....since the Mondy Muster there has been alot of new weed growth...very good to see I have to say...The water is quite dirty the further North you go....but thats OK.

Day3.....Packed up had Brekky and a shower and headed for home....very noice indeed.......bring on November......Cheers Whitto

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Monduran 6th 8th October.

Day1.... Arrived Camp site and put Tent together.....sat back and admired our effort....Put in around 1000am went down to Bird Bay and fished around the trees at the enterance of the bay and we were on.....onto Monduran trout that is...2 of the buggars.....The Bear is now blooded...Dear Oh Dear.......Fished all the bays around the Basin with no further activity for the remainder of the Day.

Day2.....Headed north...venturing into the back of White rock and worked everywhere for one paultry bump on a hard head plastic...at this point the wind direction was a Nor easter....moved onto Jacks and has a similar outcome..still a nor easter......Up to B with the nor easter blowing straight into it (ideal)....travelled down the south arm as far as we could go found some nice wind swept points tied up and hammered the new weed growth points Hard bodies after Hard bodies.....Lets try the SP's Hard nose and Slick rigs and it was like a switch had been turned on.....woompa 3 Barra in an 1hour all babies the first was 63 the second 74 and the last 75.....these fish Im guessing were a release no more than a couple of years ago water temp was 26c......The wind direct changed three time during the hour I was there..from Nor East..then SW and changed again to SE it was all over the place...it was the Nor easter that made the difference in my opinion.....Great fun none the less with plenty of attitude....all put back to play another day.....soft plastics did the damage they were not interested in HB's at all.....since the Mondy Muster there has been alot of new weed growth...very good to see I have to say...The water is quite dirty the further North you go....but thats OK.

Day3.....Packed up had Brekky and a shower and headed for home....very noice indeed.......bring on November......Cheers Whitto
    good job whitto great to see ya score a fish or 3 nice size doesnt matter either great fun i say to get them on the cast as well

stickbender if u were talking to me than id like 2 c u cach a barra in a dam with out electrofishing or netting, which are both forms of cheating
    scott

What struck me about Monduran this trip is the new growth of weed, it was evident everywhere I went, These small Barra were obviously sheltering and existing in there....There's no doubt Mondurans babies are doing very well, not that there was any doubt about it.........Im not quite sure why the Dam was dirty the further North you travelled...maybe the dam turned over up the top...who knows....I don't see dirty water as an issue.....For Nath and Nipsta did fish the Bay near B....Did not get up to the Hall of Chrome but November will produce if it's anything like last year as Nath knows only too well.....but at the moment Plastics are the flavour of the month....my only concern is are the jig hook up to the task especially with Slick rigs...and I refer to Naggs thread...I would be looking at upgrades certainly for bigger Barra.....There was not an issue with these's smaller Barra....anyhow only time will tell....things are looking good......Cheers Whitto

Well done Whitto.......sure beats a donut!

Are you going to posts pics and a full report in the reports section?

Thanks Pete......Im only going to report in the Diary...I figure it's a good central point to go to for others to read without having to scan 47 different threads about the same thing......Im at the stage with taking Piccies of PB's only there are only so many photo's of Barra you can have.....Anything to do with Monduran I will be reporting in The Barra Diary.....Good Luck Pete down the track....Whitto